RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

climb_for_life

May 25, 2011, 5:24 PM
Post #1 of 7 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Rock Empire Axle Revirew?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So i am about to buy some more camalots and came across the rock empire axel cams. They look pretty sweet and save me a little extra money. I researched online and couldnt find a single review for them and cant get ahold of one myself without buying it first so i was wondering has anyone tried these out and if so what did u think of them all reviews welcome

Thanks in advance

ncrockclimber

May 25, 2011, 6:11 PM
Post #2 of 7 (6838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb_for_life] Rock Empire Axle Revirew? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You might want to check out Wired Bliss if you are looking for an inexpensive alternative to Camalots. Opinions on who makes the best cam and the pros / cons of different designs are numerous. However, I have yet to hear anyone say anything negative about Wired Bliss. You can form your own opinion after a few searches one here, Supertopo and MP.

Good luck with your purchase.

climb_for_life

May 26, 2011, 5:10 PM
Post #3 of 7 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ncrockclimber] Rock Empire Axle Revirew? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the reference but i am really just looking to hear from people who have used the rock empire axle cams and trying to figure out if they would recommend them

mats.isaksson

May 27, 2011, 7:28 PM
Post #4 of 7 (6696 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb_for_life] Rock Empire Axle Revirew? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I´ve actually not tried them out, but for reference I´d just like to say that I never heard anyone recommend RE-cams for other than economical reasons. And the people that once did recommend them all moved on to better cams... If I remember correctly the range is a bit less than on the C4´s.

maldaly

May 27, 2011, 9:55 PM
Post #5 of 7 (6667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mats.isaksson] Rock Empire Axle Revirew? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I had Trango we used Rock Empire as our source for the FlexCams. The quality was always perfect and their performance always exceeded the specs. They were a pleasure to deal with. We switched our manufacturer about 6-7 years ago because they weren't able to change the spec on the axle lengths in the larger sizes. From hand-size and up, the axles were too short compared to the head size so they weren't as stable as they could have been. The new FlexCam manufacturer was willing to calibrate the axle length with the cam size, making them stable through the range.

These look like pretty direct Camalot copies, not surprising since the Camalot double axle went off patent a few years ago. I see a couple of improvements: The double sling is huge and is something that BD can't do given their choice of cable material. The other improvement is the bigger cables on the REs will be more flexible then the C4 cables (I think) and also allows a single layer of webbing to go to spec strength. From the photo on the RE website, it looks like they're back to the old axle-length tricks, however. Without great photos and full specs I can't be sure but the website photos shows what seems to be a pretty short axle. I'll bet the bigger sizes are pretty unstable.
Climb safe,
Mal

wlderdude

Jun 2, 2011, 7:41 PM
Post #6 of 7 (6537 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maldaly] Rock Empire Axle Revirew? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maldaly wrote:
When I had Trango we used Rock Empire as our source for the FlexCams.
Mal

Malcom,
So are you no longer with Trango?

I used the old Rock Empire Robots, Trango Flex cams, and a few other pieces made by Huddy Sport when I used to trad climb. That would have been about 10 years ago. It looks like they have expanded their offering a bit, but not mixed things up much. The ones I used are not as nice as those made by the big boys, but they work fine.

If you are on a budget sometimes you have to choose between a few premium pieces or a set of cheaper ones. Good luck with your decision.

patto

Jun 2, 2011, 8:39 PM
Post #7 of 7 (6520 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wlderdude] Rock Empire Axle Revirew? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wlderdude wrote:
Malcom,
So are you no longer with Trango?
That was my reaction too!

mats.isaksson wrote:
If I remember correctly the range is a bit less than on the C4´s.
C4s get their larger range by using a very large camming angle. This mean they have LESS holding power than most of their competitors.

On course granite this isn't a problem but on smoother rock it can be. Locally I know of at least 3 incidents of C4 cams skating out of cracks that other cams have held fine in.

Anybody can make a cam with a large range if they choose to forgo holding power.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook