RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

essay

May 27, 2011, 2:42 PM
Post #1 of 22 (8420 views)
Shortcut

Punter????
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A punter is one who does not go for it on a route, never takes a fall, usually grabs the draws, and screams take like a wounded animal. It comes from the football concept of punting the ball instead of going for it on 4th down. While punting the ball is the safe move, it's hard to get to your goal when you refuse to go for it on 4th down. How many punters do we have out there???

chadnsc

May 27, 2011, 3:03 PM
Post #2 of 22 (8396 views)
Shortcut

Re: [essay] Punter???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Never grabbed at the draws but then again I have cried like a wounded kindergartner when I've taken falls.

Does downclimbing to your last piece make me a punter?

essay

May 27, 2011, 3:05 PM
Post #3 of 22 (8393 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Punter???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, that is like a touchback and is much worse.

chadnsc

May 27, 2011, 3:10 PM
Post #4 of 22 (8386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Touchback? I know not what this is.

Toast_in_the_Machine

May 27, 2011, 3:21 PM
Post #5 of 22 (8376 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm cornfused. I thought you had to be on top rope to properly not go for it and then scream in failure.

rtwilli4

May 27, 2011, 4:00 PM
Post #6 of 22 (8349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

essay wrote:
A punter is one who does not go for it on a route, never takes a fall, usually grabs the draws, and screams take like a wounded animal. It comes from the football concept of punting the ball instead of going for it on 4th down. While punting the ball is the safe move, it's hard to get to your goal when you refuse to go for it on 4th down. How many punters do we have out there???

I think you're a bit confused.

A punter is someone who has a route dialed and falls anyways. A punter blows a would be killer on-sight on a stupid move, way after the crux. A punter gets pumped whining about the lack of gear when they should have been climbing to the better placements.

What you are describing is more like a poser or wannabe or even a true gumby. Basically, someone who doesn't really get climbing. Or you could just call them a big fat pussy... but not a punter.

Trust me, it takes a punter to know a punter.

redlude97

May 27, 2011, 5:18 PM
Post #7 of 22 (8298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Punter???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
essay wrote:

A punter is someone who has a route dialed and falls anyways. A punter blows a would be killer on-sight on a stupid move, way after the crux. A punter gets pumped whining about the lack of gear when they should have been climbing to the better placements.

What you are describing is more like a poser or wannabe or even a true gumby. Basically, someone who doesn't really get climbing. Or you could just call them a big fat pussy... but not a punter.

My understanding of the term is similar to the OPs. Curious where you heard that definition?

superchuffer

May 27, 2011, 5:32 PM
Post #8 of 22 (8282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

can one chuff and punt simultaneously chunt?

Colinhoglund

May 27, 2011, 5:34 PM
Post #9 of 22 (8281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

essay wrote:

Thats funny man, punters make me laugh. Although I must admit that I have punted once or twice over the years . . .

Toast_in_the_Machine

May 27, 2011, 5:39 PM
Post #10 of 22 (8276 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superchuffer] Punter???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

superchuffer wrote:
can one chuff and punt simultaneously chunt?

Puffer

jeepnphreak

May 27, 2011, 6:13 PM
Post #11 of 22 (8240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

essay wrote:

One of my climbing buddies does that when I get him on anything over a 5.9. ha ha new nick name for him. "hey punter, wana climb this weekend?"

bearbreeder

May 27, 2011, 6:23 PM
Post #12 of 22 (8224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

punting can sometimes be the "smart" thing to do ... sometimes not ...

ive downclimbed AND punted at the same time ... sans scream ...

maybe i shoulda went for it ... it all depends on your gear, the potential fall .. etc ...

hell ive punted from gear placement to gear placement ... ooohhhh the shame .....
Shocked

rtwilli4

May 27, 2011, 7:14 PM
Post #13 of 22 (8186 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Punter???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
essay wrote:

My understanding of the term is similar to the OPs. Curious where you heard that definition?

Aside from this annoyingly egocentric ramble by Andrew Bisharat, I've just always thought that punting meant to screw up at the most inopportune time. My friends and I usually use the term when we are red-pointing (or not red-pointing) sport routes.

http://rockandice.com/...161-self-destruction

You probably won't get through the whole thing, but just read the beginning and scan under the bolded stuff. That's what I've always known punting to mean.

essay

May 27, 2011, 7:16 PM
Post #14 of 22 (8184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Punter???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope, I am pretty sure I get this idea, but whatever.

As for chuff daddy's term puffer? Priceless. Somepeople absolutely do chuff and punt at the same time, they can't seem to help it, and a new term is born: Puffer

(This post was edited by essay on May 27, 2011, 8:35 PM)

Dip

May 27, 2011, 7:21 PM
Post #15 of 22 (8180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
essay wrote:

Aside from this annoyingly egocentric ramble by Andrew Bisharat, I've just always thought that punting meant to screw up at the most inopportune time. My friends and I usually use the term when we are red-pointing (or not red-pointing) sport routes.

You probably won't get through the whole thing, but just read the beginning and scan under the bolded stuff. That's what I've always known punting to mean.

Damn it man. I clicked on it thinking "I'll show him, I'll get through the whole thing." But sure enough by the third name drop i was outta there. I guess i punted on the article...

tomcat_ct

May 27, 2011, 8:20 PM
Post #16 of 22 (8155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dip] Punter???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Something else happens to me.Sometimes I find it very hard to leave the safety of a solid piece of gear or a bolt.To commit to the moves higher up isn't that much of a problem, but I just find it hard to go past my last piece or draw.

sungam

May 27, 2011, 9:07 PM
Post #17 of 22 (8121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dip] Punter???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dip wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
essay wrote:

Damn it man. I clicked on it thinking "I'll show him, I'll get through the whole thing." But sure enough by the third name drop i was outta there. I guess i punted on the article...
Yeah, that was some seriously heavy shit.

Send_Or_Spank

Jul 1, 2011, 2:54 PM
Post #18 of 22 (7812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:

Cool story bro

notapplicable

Jul 1, 2011, 3:55 PM
Post #19 of 22 (7772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

essay wrote:

Looking for some solidarity eh?

Diphthong

Jul 1, 2011, 4:22 PM
Post #20 of 22 (7760 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, if I grab draws and pull my way all the way up to the anchors could I convert my punt into a field goal?

onrockandice

Jul 1, 2011, 7:06 PM
Post #21 of 22 (7692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shouldn't there be at least a minimum grade to be a punter? Otherwise every dingbat with a home depot rope and wind-surfing shoes is possibly a punter and something about that bothers me. I'm a punter just like everyone else but I paid full price for my New England rope and Sportiva shoes which let me climb a full grade harder than wind-surf shoes.

I think there needs to be a grade-minimum to weed out the pretenders. You have to have dropped a full-paycheck on gear to be an ellligible punter and you have to have made it all the way up at least one 5.10. I remember 5.9 and thought it was fun. I remember 5.10 and I really had to start working. So I purpose a minimum limit of 5.10a for a punter and a puffer is anything below 5.9r.

Do I have a second? A third?

essay

Jul 1, 2011, 9:54 PM
Post #22 of 22 (7651 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onrockandice] Punter???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Absolutly, this is my new definition of a punter. Now spread the word.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook