RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

plantmandan

May 31, 2011, 9:24 PM
Post #1 of 14 (13380 views)
Shortcut

Fall in Eldorado Canyon
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_18162505

According to the belayer (there is a post on mp with more detailed information), the climber tied his figure 8 knot incorrectly.

kovacs69

May 31, 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #2 of 14 (13338 views)
Shortcut

Re: [plantmandan] Fall in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

plantmandan wrote:
http://www.denverpost.com/...kingnews/ci_18162505

According to the belayer (there is a post on mp with more detailed information), the climber tied his figure 8 knot incorrectly.

Clicky!

sungam

May 31, 2011, 11:44 PM
Post #3 of 14 (13300 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ugh, shitty. Sounds like another accident easily avoided by buddy checks.

Partner robdotcalm

Jun 3, 2011, 8:31 PM
Post #4 of 14 (13141 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Fall in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.mountainproject.com/...nyon-52811/107152997

Here’s a follow up on the accident. In the refenced thread, comments were made about the Lynn Hill accident. Made me think that this wonderful climber may be remembered as much for not tying-in properly as for freeing the Nose. Seems most threads about easily avoidable climbing accidents mention Lynn. History often has a funny way of remembering someone. C’est la Vie is a 2-pitch 11b climb, though must climbers only ascend the 9+ first pitch. The climber is extremely lucking as the landing is jumbled boulders. Here's the quote from the link.

"I was belaying Colin.

Accident was not caused by an anchor failure. Denver Post got the story right.

Despite being an experienced and safe climber, Colin did not properly tie in to his harness, rope untied and he fell from roughly the first bolt on Cest la Vie.

He suffered a fractured vertebrae, but in the long run should make a full recovery. All in all a very fortunate outcome to the situation. Big thanks to Rocky Mountain Rescue, Park Rangers, and everyone else that helped get Colin safely down and to the hospital.

Check you knots!!! "
Rob.calm

(This post was edited by robdotcalm on Jun 4, 2011, 4:38 PM)

shockabuku

Jun 4, 2011, 3:22 AM
Post #5 of 14 (13056 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Fall in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You may want to change your << and >> to real quotes. Until I followed the link, I thought you were saying you were the belayer because I didn't realize what those symbols represented.

sungam

Jun 4, 2011, 9:52 AM
Post #6 of 14 (13009 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Fall in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
You may want to change your << and >> to real quotes. Until I followed the link, I thought you were saying you were the belayer because I didn't realize what those symbols represented.
Yeah, took me a minute as well. I was typing a reply asking for more details when I noticed the closing brackets.

Partner robdotcalm

Jun 4, 2011, 4:40 PM
Post #7 of 14 (12926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Fall in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:

OK. Edited to replace the angle brackets with quotes and the statement that it is a quote.

r.c

jt512

Jun 4, 2011, 7:48 PM
Post #8 of 14 (12888 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Fall in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

OK. Edited to replace the angle brackets with quotes and the statement that it is a quote.

r.c

For long quotes you might consider using the [indent][/indent] tags:
Donec hendrerit consectetur pretium. Sed vitae ligula et mi consequat blandit. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; In urna nunc, vehicula non tincidunt vitae, laoreet quis ipsum. Morbi imperdiet rhoncus tortor, id fermentum dui malesuada quis.

Curabitur quis enim sit amet elit ornare dapibus ut in lacus. Nunc quis nisl in felis condimentum gravida vel vel augue. Duis a diam ligula. In aliquam varius metus, in lobortis justo hendrerit et. Pellentesque sed magna quam, a adipiscing orci.
Jay

curt

Jun 5, 2011, 5:13 AM
Post #9 of 14 (12803 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Fall in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Ugh, shitty. Sounds like another accident easily avoided by buddy checks.

Yes, or by actually tying the knot correctly in the first place.

Curt

EastCoastDave

Jun 8, 2011, 12:56 AM
Post #10 of 14 (12506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sometimes you should deliberately tie a bad knot or only through one loop and see if your buddy catches the mistake.

You must always always always check and if you realized you forgot to check after a your partner heads up the wall then ask him to come down (if safe) so you can check.

There's no excuse for this kind of stuff.

Partner angry

Jun 8, 2011, 1:08 AM
Post #11 of 14 (12500 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Fall in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
robdotcalm wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

r.c

For long quotes you might consider using the [indent][/indent] tags:
Donec hendrerit consectetur pretium. Sed vitae ligula et mi consequat blandit. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; In urna nunc, vehicula non tincidunt vitae, laoreet quis ipsum. Morbi imperdiet rhoncus tortor, id fermentum dui malesuada quis.

Curabitur quis enim sit amet elit ornare dapibus ut in lacus. Nunc quis nisl in felis condimentum gravida vel vel augue. Duis a diam ligula. In aliquam varius metus, in lobortis justo hendrerit et. Pellentesque sed magna quam, a adipiscing orci.
Jay

Until the price of hendrerit consectetur. But for me, my life ligula consequat down smoothly;. Before the entrance itself the first place in the jaws of Hell, Grief and avenging Cares have made their bed; In the pot now, conveyance and does not tincidunt of life, aiding visually itself. Disease imperdiet rhoncus torturer, that any man leaven DUI malesuada.

For who can be healed: it is love elit Welcome to adorn as into the pit. Now any one nil to the Felis Product Type: LCD or fireball. We in diameter from the ligula. In the School Board from fear; into Lobortis and just hendrerit. Beating but the great, which, from the Customer orcs.

jt512

Jun 8, 2011, 1:15 AM
Post #12 of 14 (12493 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EastCoastDave] Fall in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

EastCoastDave wrote:
Sometimes you should deliberately tie a bad knot or only through one loop and see if your buddy catches the mistake.

Great way to build up a trusting relationship with your climbing partner. :roll:

You should never deliberately tie a bad knot for the same reason you should never allow yourself to be interrupted while tying a good one. As A. A. Milne wrote, "Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?" Sure would suck if your little scheme to trap your partner backfired, wouldn't it?

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jun 8, 2011, 1:16 AM)

EastCoastDave

Jun 8, 2011, 2:48 AM
Post #13 of 14 (12449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Fall in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Your right to call me out on that. Here is typically what happens to me....

1- I'm engaged in conversation with partner as I'm tying in
2- I notice as we converse my knot is incorrect
3- they will say "ready to climb"
4- I will say "no"
5- They will ask "why?"
6- I will say "look at my knot"

I completely agree that deliberately misleading your partner is a bad idea but you should always check yourself a second time before they check you the first time. Unfortunately in the gym that doesn't happen enough.

patto

Jun 8, 2011, 10:18 AM
Post #14 of 14 (12365 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EastCoastDave] Fall in Eldorado Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I think buddy checks are great and I won't discourage them. But testing your buddy on a buddy check? That just seems absurd. I rely on my own paranoid checks. And I certainly don't care if my buddy hasn't checked me because I have already checked myself 10 times.

Afterall who is going to do my buddy check for my belay on the top of the third pitch with 4 more to go? Who is going to make sure I rethread and tie in properly when Jay orders me to lower rather than rap?

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook