Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

climbernic

Jun 5, 2011, 9:11 AM
Post #1 of 74 (15067 views)
Shortcut

Nutrition
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi there

I'm pretty new to climbing and wondering what you climbers eat and if you have to stick to a Diet especially if you want to train and get stronger?
I find that I am getting stronger but slowly and I find I take a lot longer to recover. I've also find I'm tired all the time and on my climbing days I'm tired during my climbing session to. Does this have to do with what I eat? my diet is pretty crap being a poor student so I was wondering if you guys have any tips on Nutrition?

sungam

Jun 5, 2011, 9:47 AM
Post #2 of 74 (15062 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbernic] Nutrition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Long recovery times and low energy almost certainly have to do either with your diet or your sleep pattern. Make sure you're getting plenty of sleep.
As for your diet, that's a little more involved. How much carbohydrate and protein do you get in your diet?

If you're training or climbing hard and often, you are going to need more carbs during or directly after (within about 40 minutes) exercise to replace the glycogen that has been used in your muscles.

If you want some more information, I recommend Gold Medal Nutrition By Glen Cardwell. Link.

Dave MacLeod's 9 Out of 10 Climbers Make the Same Mistakes also has some good nutritional advice, if I remember correctly. It's also just a fantastic read. Link.

herites

Jun 5, 2011, 6:43 PM
Post #3 of 74 (14964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The info sungam gave is correct, though one thing caught my mind: how does being a poor student stopping you from having a proper diet? I'm in the same boat (poor student) and since I cant afford pizza/eating out I have to cook at home. This leads to having a more balanced diet than eating junk food in the city Of course you still need some nutrition basics for that, but eating white meat (chicken) with vegetables and rice is a good (though boring) diet. Throw some food supplement (I'm eating a multivitamin pill each day) and you can't go wrong.

sungam

Jun 5, 2011, 6:49 PM
Post #4 of 74 (14962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [herites] Nutrition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

herites wrote:
The info sungam gave is correct, though one thing caught my mind: how does being a poor student stopping you from having a proper diet? I'm in the same boat
Me too. I manage to eat just fine. Except for the ice cream... and the cookies.

climbernic

Jun 5, 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #5 of 74 (14918 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Nutrition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info will definitely look into trying to change my diet but for sleeping I'm a real light sleeper so I do struggle to get good sleep since I flat with three other students... something I need to sort out myself I think??. Eating good food is hard when you now live in New Zealand the food here is so expensive and having to pay rent and buy good food is hard. But if you have any recommended foods that are worth buying? please let me know? thanks for your feed back =)

cheers.

climbernic

Jun 5, 2011, 11:33 PM
Post #6 of 74 (14915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

herites wrote:
The info sungam gave is correct, though one thing caught my mind: how does being a poor student stopping you from having a proper diet? I'm in the same boat (poor student) and since I cant afford pizza/eating out I have to cook at home. This leads to having a more balanced diet than eating junk food in the city Of course you still need some nutrition basics for that, but eating white meat (chicken) with vegetables and rice is a good (though boring) diet. Throw some food supplement (I'm eating a multivitamin pill each day) and you can't go wrong.

Thanks for that I do enjoy rice and veges but didn't think about the chicken I sometimes put tuna with it instead? but chicken sounds nice. I have supplements each day I normally have a Vitamins and fish oil one? not to sure if they help though...

sungam

Jun 6, 2011, 12:08 AM
Post #7 of 74 (14900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For sleep I picked up the (somewhat addictive) habit of sleeping with a strong fan on when I shared a flat with some more... nocturnally interested individuals. The white noise from the fan cancelled out a whole lot of the noise, and kinda lulls you to sleep.

As far as keeping a good diet goes, making things from scratch saves a lot of money. If you make large batches and freeze/refridgerate it then it's very convinient as well.

For some cheap but reasonably healthy stuff look into rice, baked beans, other beans, quinoa, oatmeal (don't get the instant stuff - it's a complete waste of money. Get the normal stuff and nuke it just like you would the instant, then add honey/sugar/syrup/chocolate/whatever as desired), brocolli (frozen brocolli generally has more nutrition in it then fresh), cous cous, pasta (search online for some cheap, easy, and healthy tomato based sauces).

My diet kinda consists of porridge for brekfast every day (unless coco pops are on sale!), then for lunch I usually bring a tuppawear of whatever I have leftovers of and nuke it but sometimes I just make a sammich (cheese and pickle, PB+J, egg extra-lite-mayo), or if I'm at home sometimes an omolette with grated potatoes, onions etc., and for dinner I kinda cycle through pasta with tomato sauce, slow-cooked stews (put vegetables in pot of boiling water. add gravy powder. slow cook for a couple hours), and pizza that I either buy frozen on sale and add vege toppings to or I make the whole thing myself.

Unfortunately my diet also contains fair quantities of ice cream, my GF's AMAZING home made choc chip cookies, and other such crap. So, uh... Do as I say, not as I do and all that. It really doesn't work out as all that expensive. Try exploring some bulk-buying stores in your area (costco, bookers, etc.) for some really rad prices.

Whoah, that was a ramble!

climbernic

Jun 6, 2011, 1:29 AM
Post #8 of 74 (14880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow thanks man thats means a lot! I need to write this down. but that stuff sounds real good and cheap! lucky I got food shopping tonight,, time for a change in diet =) thank you heaps again.

Ps. sounds like you have a good girl friend that looks after you! ha

Thanks again

flesh

Jun 6, 2011, 8:52 PM
Post #9 of 74 (14782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbernic wrote:
Wow thanks man thats means a lot! I need to write this down. but that stuff sounds real good and cheap! lucky I got food shopping tonight,, time for a change in diet =) thank you heaps again.

Ps. sounds like you have a good girl friend that looks after you! ha

Thanks again

Ear plugs FTW. Get the little gooey ones that you squish in your ear so it's form fitting. make sure it's totally dark in the room.

As an athlete you need 9-10hrs of sleep a night.

I sleep 9 hrs 5 days/week and 10hrs 2/days a week.

If you aren't recovering eat more MAN TEin aka protein, lol. Sleep aids recovery of course.

Sometimes though your bodies just run down and u need rest.... I'll just usually campus 5 or 6 sets on these days and call it a day.

climbernic

Jun 6, 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #10 of 74 (14756 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flesh] Nutrition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey man thats such a good idea, ear plugs are known to fall out though? but i will definitely get some of though's as soon as i can thanks a lot! you feed back is awesome =)

wonderwoman

Jun 7, 2011, 2:28 AM
Post #11 of 74 (14732 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbernic wrote:
Hey man thats such a good idea, ear plugs are known to fall out though? but i will definitely get some of though's as soon as i can thanks a lot! you feed back is awesome =)

While you're at it, get one of those night time eye masks. I am a super light sleeper and wake up at the first sign of sunlight. The eye mask has increased the amount of shut-eye I get.

As far as nutrition goes, magnus & others gave you some good advice. Make your food from scratch and be able to identify and pronounce your ingredients.

squierbypetzl

Jun 7, 2011, 6:23 AM
Post #12 of 74 (14708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eggs are good cheap protein, just don't everydo it if you have a history of cholesterol problems. Potatoes are also a good, cheap, easy to make food. And pasta, well it doesn't get much easier than that (tons of salsa recipes online). If you have access to an oven and a tray, try making your own pizza, it´s seriously not that hard and, though not dirt cheap, about 1/5 of the price you pay for fast food ones.

Pasta and meatballs with and egg center (get a "b grade" meat at the supermarket; b grade not meaning spoiled, just not prime beef).

I'll get ya some links tomorrow.

climbernic

Jun 7, 2011, 6:39 AM
Post #13 of 74 (14702 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] Nutrition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey That would be awesome if you could =) every tip helps aye. thanks so much.

herites

Jun 7, 2011, 1:20 PM
Post #14 of 74 (14670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another cheap, tasty and healthy food for you:

Get some veggies (anything will do, tho tomato and bell pepper is the best), some eggs and a sausage (meat is skipable, I use sausage and bacon)

Chop up the veggies and the meat, throw the veggies into a pan, simmer them a bit till they let some fluid loose. Now throw in the meat, scramble up the eggs and put the eggs into pan too. Stir it up, so it wont become something like an omelette. When you're satisfied with eggs, eat it (I like it a bit gooey and eating it with egg barley)

It's super quick to make and relatively fool-proof.

patrickh

Jun 10, 2011, 12:59 PM
Post #15 of 74 (14471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a big fan of the Paleo style diets (no grains, lots of veggies, fruits, meats, and nuts). I believe that diets high in grains and added sugars are inflammatory. High systemic inflammation increases recovery time, and brings on all sorts of problems. Hell, it even looks like wheat gluten might be responsible for all sorts of auto-immune related issues.

I find the diet to be very easily maintainable. I can eat as many veggies as I want. I eat lots of awesome meats (mostly free range and wild). I eat a healthy amount of fruit and nuts as well. If I want something starchy, I'll grab a potatoe or banana. The only foods I really avoid are grains, most dairy (I only consume full-fat dairy), and legumes (peanuts/beans). I am leaner than I've ever been and I feel like I haven't put much effort into maintaining this diet at all.

sungam

Jun 10, 2011, 2:03 PM
Post #16 of 74 (14459 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patrickh] Nutrition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patrickh wrote:
The only foods I really avoid are grains, most dairy (I only consume full-fat dairy).
Can I ask why? Just curious. I am asking about why you avoid most dairy and why you will only consume full fat dairy.

patrickh

Jun 10, 2011, 2:11 PM
Post #17 of 74 (14455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Low fat dairy never sits well with me. The high temperatures low fat dairy is exposed to denatures the lactose and proteins. My body handles things like heavy cream and full fat, plain yogurts much better. Besides, they taste better and the dangers are extremely exagerated. I use raw dairy whenever possible.

michael1245

Jun 10, 2011, 2:16 PM
Post #18 of 74 (14452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbernic wrote:
my diet is pretty crap being a poor student so I was wondering if you guys have any tips on Nutrition?

raman and easy-mac ain't puttin no nutrition in that body of yours.

proper diet...you know, blance of meat, veggies, carbs, etc.

nothing like an egg, cheese, and bacon on a fresh bagel before a long day of climbing!

altelis

Jun 10, 2011, 2:16 PM
Post #19 of 74 (14452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

patrickh wrote:
I'm a big fan of the Paleo style diets (no grains, lots of veggies, fruits, meats, and nuts). I believe that diets high in grains and added sugars are inflammatory. High systemic inflammation increases recovery time, and brings on all sorts of problems. Hell, it even looks like wheat gluten might be responsible for all sorts of auto-immune related issues.

I find the diet to be very easily maintainable. I can eat as many veggies as I want. I eat lots of awesome meats (mostly free range and wild). I eat a healthy amount of fruit and nuts as well. If I want something starchy, I'll grab a potatoe or banana. The only foods I really avoid are grains, most dairy (I only consume full-fat dairy), and legumes (peanuts/beans). I am leaner than I've ever been and I feel like I haven't put much effort into maintaining this diet at all.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but I think you have things backwards. While we don't know exactly what causes Celiac Sprue, evidence points to an auto-immune reaction due to proteins in gluten resembling proteins in our own bodies. This is different than gluten causing "all sorts of auto-immune related issues". It'll only happen in predisposed people, and as far as I understand, its only ONE auto-immune related issue caused by gluten. Yes, people with auto-immune issues tend to have a few different auto-immune diseases, but this is a base problem with their immune system, not with gluten per se. We see the same thing in people with auto-immune disease but no Celiac. And there are MANY fewer people with Celiac than people think. Much like with lactose, the number of people who don't digest wheat products well is much greater than the number of people with Celiac's, a true auto-immune disease requiring very specific anti-bodies causing very specific visible changes to the small intestines.

As far as I'm aware, there is no good evidence to show that, on the whole, grains and added sugars are inflammatory.

altelis

Jun 10, 2011, 2:17 PM
Post #20 of 74 (14451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patrickh wrote:
Low fat dairy never sits well with me. The high temperatures low fat dairy is exposed to denatures the lactose and proteins. My body handles things like heavy cream and full fat, plain yogurts much better. Besides, they taste better and the dangers are extremely exagerated. I use raw dairy whenever possible.

Out of curiosity, what dangers are you referring to?

sungam

Jun 10, 2011, 2:27 PM
Post #21 of 74 (14446 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, fair enough I guess. I put away around 4 pints of mik a day easily, so I stick to non-fat.

patrickh

Jun 10, 2011, 2:29 PM
Post #22 of 74 (14445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Nutrition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
patrickh wrote:

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but I think you have things backwards. While we don't know exactly what causes Celiac Sprue, evidence points to an auto-immune reaction due to proteins in gluten resembling proteins in our own bodies. This is different than gluten causing "all sorts of auto-immune related issues". It'll only happen in predisposed people, and as far as I understand, its only ONE auto-immune related issue caused by gluten. Yes, people with auto-immune issues tend to have a few different auto-immune diseases, but this is a base problem with their immune system, not with gluten per se. We see the same thing in people with auto-immune disease but no Celiac. And there are MANY fewer people with Celiac than people think. Much like with lactose, the number of people who don't digest wheat products well is much greater than the number of people with Celiac's, a true auto-immune disease requiring very specific anti-bodies causing very specific visible changes to the small intestines.

As far as I'm aware, there is no good evidence to show that, on the whole, grains and added sugars are inflammatory.

Correlations with other diseases have been made and are now being studied. That being said, correlation does not necessarily equal cause and effect. The problem is as you mentioned. Gluten resembles proteins in our own bodies. It has the ability to pass through the gut directly into the bloodstream. There, it is easily transported to just about any tissue in the body due to the fact that it resembles certain proteins. When the body detects the foreign glycoprotein it may initiate an immune response.

It's actually a well established fact that grains specifically are pro-inflammatory. There are many glycoproteins within grains that were designed specifically to keep animals and humans from eating them. Grains have evolved to be scattered by the wind, not consumed such as the seeds from fruits.

patrickh

Jun 10, 2011, 2:31 PM
Post #23 of 74 (14442 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Nutrition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
patrickh wrote:

Sorry, I was referring specifically to the supposed dangers of saturated fat. High saturated fat is only dangerous/unhealthy when taken in context.

altelis

Jun 10, 2011, 2:34 PM
Post #24 of 74 (14440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patrickh wrote:

Correlations with other diseases have been made and are now being studied. That being said, correlation does not necessarily equal cause and effect. The problem is as you mentioned. Gluten resembles proteins in our own bodies. It has the ability to pass through the gut directly into the bloodstream. There, it is easily transported to just about any tissue in the body due to the fact that it resembles certain proteins. When the body detects the foreign glycoprotein it may initiate an immune response.

It's actually a well established fact that grains specifically are pro-inflammatory. There are many glycoproteins within grains that were designed specifically to keep animals and humans from eating them. Grains have evolved to be scattered by the wind, not consumed such as the seeds from fruits.

How is this different than anything else we eat? Except for the correction there that it passes into the portal circulation, where it passes through the liver before getting into the general circulation. And if this was truly a problem, why don't we see the inflammatory response in these other tissues like we do in the small intestine of people with Celiac?

altelis

Jun 10, 2011, 2:35 PM
Post #25 of 74 (14439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patrickh wrote:
altelis wrote:
patrickh wrote:

Sorry, I was referring specifically to the supposed dangers of saturated fat. High saturated fat is only dangerous/unhealthy when taken in context.

I'm confused...what context exactly is that?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook