Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Partner cracklover

Jun 7, 2011, 3:00 PM
Post #26 of 69 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justanotherclimber] Worst "Best" route. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

justanotherclimber wrote:
Shockleys Ceiling in the Gunks- bad rock, shitty pro, and a single redeeming move in the first 200'- above lies mediocre climbing at best. How that thing became a classic is beyond me.

If you'd said High E, sure. It has one really cool move, followed by a cool 50 feet of climbing. Very good, but not even the best 5.6 in the Gunks.

But Shockley's? Nah, you're nuts. The first pitch is a short forgettable approach pitch, but the rest of the climb is stellar.

I actually can't think of any climbs I've done that I'd put in this category. The closest would probably Burnse's suggestion of the Saigons in NoCo. Except that I don't think they're on anyone's Best list.

GO

sandstoned

Jun 7, 2011, 3:20 PM
Post #27 of 69 (2989 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Worst "Best" route. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
sandstoned wrote:
I also agree with Sungam- RoShampo is just another sport route at the Red.
It was CI that said that. There was a huge queue of bros witing to get on it when I was there.
Ah, my bad. Well, you didn't miss too much, at least you got to hang out with some bros, or brahs, or both. Hang dogs is probably a good group name for them I'm guessing...

sungam

Jun 7, 2011, 3:28 PM
Post #28 of 69 (2982 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sandstoned] Worst "Best" route. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sandstoned wrote:
sungam wrote:
sandstoned wrote:
It was CI that said that. There was a huge queue of bros witing to get on it when I was there.
Ah, my bad. Well, you didn't miss too much, at least you got to hang out with some bros, or brahs, or both. Hang dogs is probably a good group name for them I'm guessing...
Actually I missed out on hanging with the bros, I saw the queue and walked on.

redonkulus

Jun 7, 2011, 3:43 PM
Post #29 of 69 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
sandstoned wrote:
sungam wrote:
sandstoned wrote:
Actually I missed out on hanging with the bros, I saw the queue and walked on.

Did any of them look like the bros in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HOUGDOV4x8

Edit: clicky

(This post was edited by redonkulus on Jun 7, 2011, 3:44 PM)

Partner cracklover

Jun 7, 2011, 3:55 PM
Post #30 of 69 (2962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Worst "Best" route. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I may get a lot of flak for this, but I did think of one route that totally felt not-as-good-as-the-hype.

Crimson Crimson Chrysalis. It was a good route, but just not all that. I think maybe I just felt let down by all those bolts everywhere, many of which were next to great gear.

GO

caughtinside

Jun 7, 2011, 4:06 PM
Post #31 of 69 (2951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I think I'd add the Kor-Ingalls. Still an interesting route up a great tower with history, but funky climbing. Isn't it another one of the fifty classics?

Diphthong

Jun 7, 2011, 4:24 PM
Post #32 of 69 (2941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cobra Crack.

cfnubbler

Jun 7, 2011, 5:19 PM
Post #33 of 69 (2909 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Worst "Best" route. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:

The Yellow Spur? Really? Sure the first few pitches are not memorable but can you really tell me that traversing from under that HUGE roof onto the arete, and then climbing to that exposed summit wasn't fun? Probably not the best route in Colorado, but then that is not what the guide says. It says, very accurately, that The Yellow Spur is "one of Colorado's most sought after rock climbs." And sure it's loose... it's Eldo! Why would you go there and expect anything different?
quote]

Yes, I'm serious. And I didn't say the last two pitches aren't enjoyable (they are). The pitch you're descibing is IMO a total pile except for the last few moves where you actually traverse the roof. A loose, low angle gully, which is how I would describe most of that pitch, is not something I expect to find on a so called mega-classic, in Eldo or anywhere else. In any case, I'm merely offering my opinion, and you are exercising your right to disagree!

rtwilli4

Jun 7, 2011, 5:28 PM
Post #34 of 69 (2905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cfnubbler] Worst "Best" route. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just don't remember it being that loose. I know one of the belays was on a ledge w/ a lot of loose stuff, but I remember expecting choss since that's what you always hear about Eldo... and was surprised at how little there was.

Don't get me wrong, it certainly was nothing like the crags we have in the east, but our mountains are so much older and more weathered than the stuff out west that it's not really fair to compare.

Anyways, I didn't really have much expectation for the route I guess, so in the end I thought it was great. But I seem to be having selective memory...

Partner cracklover

Jun 7, 2011, 5:34 PM
Post #35 of 69 (2898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
I just don't remember it being that loose. I know one of the belays was on a ledge w/ a lot of loose stuff, but I remember expecting choss since that's what you always hear about Eldo... and was surprised at how little there was.

Don't get me wrong, it certainly was nothing like the crags we have in the east, but our mountains are so much older and more weathered than the stuff out west that it's not really fair to compare.

Anyways, I didn't really have much expectation for the route I guess, so in the end I thought it was great. But I seem to be having selective memory...

The first pitch of Yellow Spur is pretty exciting, too. You have to pull a sort of funky move through a good size roof with gear anywhere from 5 to ten feet below you (depending on what you use or not to avoid drag) with the ground only 25 feet down. It definitely commands attention for a move or three.

GO

rtwilli4

Jun 7, 2011, 5:43 PM
Post #36 of 69 (2886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea I remember that. My partner led (basically soloed) that pitch. If I had fallen off (how could anyone fall off of those jugs) I would have had a huge, rope cutting fall.

wmfork

Jun 7, 2011, 6:23 PM
Post #37 of 69 (2863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
The Yellow Spur? ... Probably not the best route in Colorado, but then that is not what the guide says. It says, very accurately, that The Yellow Spur is "one of Colorado's most sought after rock climbs." And sure it's loose... it's Eldo!
The best/most sought after climb of that grade in Colorado is Center Route on Cynical Pinnacle, by far. Eldo is just easily accessible, with > 50% of the routes overhyped. Having said that, I've done neither. But the best 11 in Eldo (Naked Edge, great route btw) doesn't compare to Wunsch's Dihedral on Cynical Pinnacle. On the other hand, 95% of routes in Jtree gets a flamming turd from me.

rtwilli4

Jun 7, 2011, 6:30 PM
Post #38 of 69 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wmfork] Worst "Best" route. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You know much better than me. I lived in Steamboat... when I was a ski bum. Other than that I don't know shit about Colorado.

Is it too hot in August for the S. Platte area? When is the best time to go?

wmfork

Jun 7, 2011, 6:50 PM
Post #39 of 69 (2841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
Is it too hot in August for the S. Platte area? When is the best time to go?
Fall (mid September-early November), that applies to most non-alpine areas in CO. August might be bearable if you are used to heat (and climb in the morning), but as least all closures will be lifted by then. Sunny faces in S. Platte, however, is very much climbable throughout winter as long as you have a decent (sunny and not too windy) weather window.

edge

Jun 8, 2011, 4:22 PM
Post #40 of 69 (2724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here in New Hampshire I nominate:

Reppy's Crack. A crack in a slab, and a boring one at that. It's visual appeal alone has launched a thousand ascents.

The Eaglet. That's a long hike for some uninteresting climbing to a "pinnacle."

Standard Rte on Whitehorse. There are much more interesting routes on the slabs.

kachoong

Jun 8, 2011, 4:34 PM
Post #41 of 69 (2718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Worst "Best" route. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For Arapiles I vote Muldoon... even though if it were at many other crags it would still be classic. There's a lesser-known route of the same grade, and MUCH better, right next to it.

The phenomenon of "adjacency" is common and gives those who know an enjoyable alternative.

pbjosh

Jun 8, 2011, 6:23 PM
Post #42 of 69 (2679 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of the routes mentioned are still good routes, just perhaps not mind blowing to the people involved.

Kor-Ingalls on Castleton, though, is a stunning pile of shit and is the worst route on the formation by a mile.

Diphthong

Jun 8, 2011, 6:39 PM
Post #43 of 69 (2670 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Worst "Best" route. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
For Arapiles I vote Muldoon... even though if it were at many other crags it would still be classic. There's a lesser-known route of the same grade, and MUCH better, right next to it.

+1

And just around the corner to the left, Pilot Error. And up the hill on the right, Moby Dick.

blueeyedclimber

Jun 9, 2011, 12:16 AM
Post #44 of 69 (2636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Here in New Hampshire I nominate:

Reppy's Crack. A crack in a slab, and a boring one at that. It's visual appeal alone has launched a thousand ascents.

By itself, I might tend to agree, but in the context of linking it to Moby, I think it's pretty good. Plus, how many splitter cracks do we have in the northeast?

In reply to:
The Eaglet. That's a long hike for some uninteresting climbing to a "pinnacle."

Thanks for the heads up. Not that I would hike that long for 5.7, anyways Cool

In reply to:
Standard Rte on Whitehorse. There are much more interesting routes on the slabs.
I also agree, but it is a great "starter" mulitipitch for beginners. It has runouts, but the "hard" parts are well protected, and pretty much any gumby can make it up. I know I did when I was one Wink

Josh

blueeyedclimber

Jun 9, 2011, 12:19 AM
Post #45 of 69 (2635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Worst "Best" route. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

While we're talking about NH, I nominate Thin Air.

It's a decent route, but certainly is not deserving of all the hype.

Josh

Partner j_ung

Jun 9, 2011, 2:39 AM
Post #46 of 69 (2585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:

Ah, good one... er... bad one I mean. I remember thinking, "when is this shitpile going to end?"

yanqui

Jun 9, 2011, 2:58 AM
Post #47 of 69 (2575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Incredible Hand Crack at Indian Creek and Tribal Boundaries at City of Rocks are two short, mediocre climbs which for some unknown reason often get described as classics.

Partner cracklover

Jun 9, 2011, 3:10 PM
Post #48 of 69 (2532 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Worst "Best" route. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
While we're talking about NH, I nominate Thin Air.

It's a decent route, but certainly is not deserving of all the hype.

Josh

No way. I cannot think of a better beginner climb at that grade in NoCo. And before you say Funhouse, remember that Funhouse has a section that is pretty R rated for leaders who's limit is 5.6.

Full disclosure: Thin Air was my first real lead, so it has a special place because of that, too.

But honestly, after the first 40 feet of climbing, it's all good (and quite varied) the whole rest of the way.

GO

Partner cracklover

Jun 9, 2011, 3:13 PM
Post #49 of 69 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yanqui] Worst "Best" route. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yanqui wrote:
Incredible Hand Crack at Indian Creek <snip> short, mediocre climbs which for some unknown reason often get described as classics.

That's silly. IHC is exactly that. And IIRC, it's at least 80 feet. Maybe you got off route?

GTongue

(This post was edited by cracklover on Jun 9, 2011, 3:15 PM)

chilli

Jun 9, 2011, 3:58 PM
Post #50 of 69 (2516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] Worst "Best" route. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
Tipton wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
Tipton wrote:
Jim Dandy - Table Rock NC.

Agreed. Then again, maybe I've just climbed it too many times.

Don't get me wrong... it's a good route. It's just not that good.

I'm adding The Great Arch at Stone Mountain also.

There is virtually nothing fun about this route, it is the same move from bottom to top unless you just leave the dihedral and climb the slab up. The fact that someone will be climbing up 20 feet behind your second and you'll climbing 20 feet behind someone else's second just makes it even more crappy.

Gotta disagree. That's a fun route, even if it is crowded

i don't think there's anything spectacular about the repetition of the arch, nor do i think it's anywhere near as enjoyable as some of the true stone mountain slab around there. not to mention better views when you get out on top of that giant dihedral feature you're in there.

also, jim dandy has nothing exceptional about it. hell, there's a section like a frekin' sidewalk for a good bit of the route.

but i think in both cases, the quality of the climb for people looking for fun routes in the region is secondary to the facility of access for taking someone new to the area or a gf or friend or early in your leading career or whatever. And it's the access to beginners that makes those routes good.
e.g. white lightning at table, OR just go to hawksbill/ship! Also the great white way, grand funk, or the pulpit are all more fun at stone, but you're not going to lead those first, nor is your gf who's new to trad. thus jim dandy, the arch, etc. become classics for the newbies and a fun experience for you to share with said newbie. and i'm OK with giving them stars for that

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook