Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Can an overweight person do true Rock Climbing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

beachrock

Jun 5, 2011, 4:34 AM
Post #1 of 41 (19229 views)
Shortcut

Can an overweight person do true Rock Climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I enjoy scrambling / boulder hopping but I'm not sure I currently have the athleticism necessary to climb a vertical wall. Do I need to be all cut in order to be able to do it or is it a matter of patience and enough practice?

rnevius

Jun 5, 2011, 4:39 AM
Post #2 of 41 (19223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [beachrock] Can an overweight person do true Rock Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:
I enjoy scrambling / boulder hopping but I'm not sure I currently have the athleticism necessary to climb a vertical wall. Do I need to be all cut in order to be able to do it or is it a matter of patience and enough practice?

I think you just partially answered your own question. To climb a 5.4 route, you probably don't have to be "cut", but you do need to be able to balance and walk up a steep ramp using all fours. Then again, a lot of people wouldn't really consider a 5.4 "climbing".

TarHeelEMT

Jun 5, 2011, 4:43 AM
Post #3 of 41 (19216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are we talking overweight or obese?

Overweight, no problem. Although you'll be limited, you could definitely climb some harder moderates with practice.

healyje

Jun 5, 2011, 8:32 AM
Post #4 of 41 (19162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:

Depending on how overweight you're talking then if you really want to climb you might consider walking which, oddly enough, is considered a class of climbing on the YDS scale. I say walking because it's a good way to start loosing weight. I get out of shape every winter and have to get back in shape every spring in order to climb again. I usually start walking, then walk / running, then add swimming. All the while logging it all daily until I'm back down to climbing weight. At that point I start climbing easy familiar things and slowly work my way back up - while still running and swimming.

My climbing partner from back in the '70s sat behind a desk for twenty+ some odd years and went from 155 lbs. to 270 lbs. and stayed at that weight for most of those years. He retired last October and is now down to 175 and trying to qualify for next year's Boston marathon. He said he started walking on a treadmill five minutes at a time.

It's all doable - how much do you want to climb?

mikebee

Jun 5, 2011, 9:05 AM
Post #5 of 41 (19152 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] Can an overweight person do true Rock Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Head to a climbing gym and find out!

sungam

Jun 5, 2011, 9:15 AM
Post #6 of 41 (19150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The WHALE says that you are good to go. Please ignore the fact that the WHALE fell at the first bolt.

10 points if you name the route...

wrbill

Jun 5, 2011, 10:33 AM
Post #7 of 41 (19140 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a climbing partner that was 280 lbs and could onsite 5.9s about 60% of the time and was able to make it up most 5.10b's. Sure weight does play a big part in holding you back, but will not stop you from climbing.

By the sound of it you are not way over weight or if you are you can get around very well. Like someone had said, go to a gym and try. Plus climbing will help you lose weight and if climbing outside the hike in to some areas will also help.

Good luck with your climbing and welcome to the sport.

Be safe and find someone to take you out, the gym can be a great place for that as well.

sungam

Jun 5, 2011, 12:34 PM
Post #8 of 41 (19110 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wrbill] Can an overweight person do true Rock Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wrbill wrote:
Plus climbing will help you lose weight and if climbing outside the hike in to some areas will also help.
While climbing directly probably won't really help, the walk-ins etc. probably will. It my also give you the psyche to get in better shape and hit the broccoli.

Kartessa

Jun 5, 2011, 1:07 PM
Post #9 of 41 (19096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Can an overweight person do true Rock Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
wrbill wrote:
Plus climbing will help you lose weight and if climbing outside the hike in to some areas will also help.
While climbing directly probably won't really help, the walk-ins etc. probably will. It my also give you the psyche to get in better shape and hit the broccoli.

No, the climbing will help ya. I'm 5'2" and when I got back into the game, 3 years ago I was over 210lbs. I didnt do an approach more than 15min long nor did I quit eating grotesque amounts of bacon and I went down 40lbs in the first year.

wrbill

Jun 5, 2011, 1:20 PM
Post #10 of 41 (19087 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not saying that he will lose all the weight with climbing but it will help as will any active that gets you burning cals.

Sure the walk-ins will help more but it all helps, just getting out is a great way to help lose the weight even if he only gets to climb one or two routes.

sungam

Jun 5, 2011, 1:35 PM
Post #11 of 41 (19075 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Can an overweight person do true Rock Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
sungam wrote:
wrbill wrote:

No, the climbing will help ya. I'm 5'2" and when I got back into the game, 3 years ago I was over 210lbs. I didnt do an approach more than 15min long nor did I quit eating grotesque amounts of bacon and I went down 40lbs in the first year.
Well, I'm just rolling on the statistics (might find them in a minute) that gave some pretty pathetic numbers for the energy burnt doing a route. And from my experience of having training at a (very) close indoor wall as my on exercise for a summer (the summer before my USA trip). I got really strong, but chubby. Wasn't really eating that much, just wasn't burning much energy.

Edit to add, though: it's definitely better then nothing. getting active in any way is incredibly important.

(This post was edited by sungam on Jun 5, 2011, 1:37 PM)

Kartessa

Jun 5, 2011, 1:59 PM
Post #12 of 41 (19058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
sungam wrote:
wrbill wrote:

Well, I'm just rolling on the statistics (might find them in a minute) that gave some pretty pathetic numbers for the energy burnt doing a route. And from my experience of having training at a (very) close indoor wall as my on exercise for a summer (the summer before my USA trip). I got really strong, but chubby. Wasn't really eating that much, just wasn't burning much energy.

Edit to add, though: it's definitely better then nothing. getting active in any way is incredibly important.

I'll let you have that then...

maybe more bacon is in order?

sungam

Jun 5, 2011, 2:35 PM
Post #13 of 41 (19046 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Can an overweight person do true Rock Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm, a bacon sammich for lunch? Hmmm, maybe...

But no, not today. Still on the sungam's "Want look likes Jacob for N/A" diet.

robmcc

Jun 5, 2011, 4:30 PM
Post #14 of 41 (18991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rnevius] Can an overweight person do true Rock Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rnevius wrote:
Then again, a lot of people wouldn't really consider a 5.4 "climbing".

That's just elitism talking. 5.4s are certainly climbing, they're just easy, and if that's what someone likes to climb (I once climbed with a guy who was just happy to get outside on 3-5s) I don't see a problem with it.

Back on topic, I've been lots of climber shapes from ridiculously strong (compared to now) and lightly insulated to weak and flabby. Yes, you can be overweight and climb. It IS an impediment, not unlike wearing a weight vest, and of course you're not going to be as good as those ripped college kids, but even I with a 30+ BMI outclimb slim but inexperienced college kids.

Don't let people tell you that you can't do it. Go find out what you CAN do.

sungam

Jun 5, 2011, 5:00 PM
Post #15 of 41 (18980 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

rnevius wrote:
beachrock wrote:

I think you just partially answered your own question. To climb a 5.4 route, you probably don't have to be "cut", but you do need to be able to balance and walk up a steep ramp using all fours. Then again, a lot of people wouldn't really consider a 5.4 "climbing".
I have come VERY close to epicing on 5.4's!

rnevius

Jun 5, 2011, 5:34 PM
Post #16 of 41 (18967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wasn't insinuating that I was one of these people...5.4 is climbing in its own right. Just because it's not hard for one person doesn't mean it's not climbing for someone else.

MTBZEN

Jun 5, 2011, 6:58 PM
Post #17 of 41 (18942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robmcc] Can an overweight person do true Rock Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robmcc wrote:

Don't let people tell you that you can't do it. Go find out what you CAN do.

Amen to that!

Take it from someone who's all time high was 210 and I'm now 125 (5'4")...don't ever let weight hold you back or let anyone tell you you're too big to try/love anything.

I'm very new to gym climbing and can attest to its calorie burning factor. My tracking device gives it 300 cals for 30 minutes of ascending. My body fat has plummeted since taking it up 4 weeks ago. Pretty freaking awesome-

Granted - it you're one of the well-trained wall-ballerina's I aspire to, the effort will likely be much, much less than my clamor fest. The more efficient you are at something, the less energy your body needs to do it.

Get out (and UP) there and have a blast! Cool

jt512

Jun 5, 2011, 8:03 PM
Post #18 of 41 (18927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MTBZEN] Can an overweight person do true Rock Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

MTBZEN wrote:
I'm very new to gym climbing and can attest to its calorie burning factor. My tracking device gives it 300 cals for 30 minutes of ascending. My body fat has plummeted since taking it up 4 weeks ago. Pretty freaking awesome-

Your 10 kcal/min of climbing is in close agreement with the minute amount of published scientific research on the subject (see my summary here). However, I'm not sure I would consider those numbers to be "awesome," since they're for time spent actually climbing. How many hours do you have to spend in the gym to accumulate 30 minutes of actual climbing?

May I ask what kind of tracking device you're using?

Jay

cornstateclimber

Jun 5, 2011, 8:53 PM
Post #19 of 41 (18897 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Can an overweight person do true Rock Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ive seen some really large people climbing, granted they were toproping, but hey, its still a form of climbing. I used to have a partner that put on over 50lbs during the winter, he still worked the same grades he did the summer before. just a bit more trouble, and a bit more effort. but he didnt let it stop him. go for it. with the effort you put into climbing, and additional exercise, you'lle drop those unwanted pounds

MTBZEN

Jun 5, 2011, 9:45 PM
Post #20 of 41 (18873 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Can an overweight person do true Rock Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
MTBZEN wrote:

Your 10 kcal/min of climbing is in close agreement with the minute amount of published scientific research on the subject (see my summary here). However, I'm not sure I would consider those numbers to be "awesome," since they're for time spent actually climbing. How many hours do you have to spend in the gym to accumulate 30 minutes of actual climbing?

May I ask what kind of tracking device you're using?

Jay

calorieking.com

If my partner and I are climbing for an hour, I'll log 20 minutes of wall time. I keep forgetting to time myself but the 50 ft walls are challenging and we usually get in 4-5 routes.

okieterry

Jun 5, 2011, 9:47 PM
Post #21 of 41 (18872 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:

(This post was edited by okieterry on Jun 5, 2011, 9:50 PM)

julio412

Jun 5, 2011, 10:40 PM
Post #22 of 41 (18849 views)
Shortcut

Re: [okieterry] Can an overweight person do true Rock Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

At 52, and a 185 lbs., with beat up shoulders; I'd say yes.
First; what kind of climbing are you talking about?
I do really well on ice and in the mountains, and some of the scariest climbing I've ever done was/ is unprotected, very exposed class 4.
I've also been to 18,200 just a month ago.
Aid is more a matter of nerves and organization.
Trad-wise I also think you'd do alright.
Sport is for sissies anyway.
M

oldgunksguy

Jun 8, 2011, 6:56 PM
Post #23 of 41 (18560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rnevius wrote:
but you do need to be able to balance and walk up a steep ramp using all fours. Then again, a lot of people wouldn't really consider a 5.4 "climbing".

It's been years...... but I recall Gelsa was a tad more involved than walking up a steep ramp on all fours.

blueeyedclimber

Jun 8, 2011, 9:09 PM
Post #24 of 41 (18509 views)
Shortcut

Re: [julio412] Can an overweight person do true Rock Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

julio412 wrote:
Sport is for sissies anyway.

Says the weak fat old guy Wink

robbovius

Jun 9, 2011, 2:47 PM
Post #25 of 41 (18398 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldgunksguy] Can an overweight person do true Rock Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oldgunksguy wrote:
rnevius wrote:
but you do need to be able to balance and walk up a steep ramp using all fours. Then again, a lot of people wouldn't really consider a 5.4 "climbing".

It's been years...... but I recall Gelsa was a tad more involved than walking up a steep ramp on all fours.

Sympatico. when I read his post, I saw his california locale, and thought "my, he's NEVER been to the gunks, has he?" ;-)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook