Forums: Climbing Information: General:
If you like to jump on beach/intertidal rocks, what's the name of that hobby? Does it fall under the "rock climbing" umbrella?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

beachrock

Jun 5, 2011, 12:20 AM
Post #1 of 25 (6796 views)
Shortcut

If you like to jump on beach/intertidal rocks, what's the name of that hobby? Does it fall under the "rock climbing" umbrella?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I have a hobby that consists of going to rocky beaches and walking on the rocks / jumping from one rock to another. Some rocks are very big and require climbing, but I rarely do any hardcore rock climbing. The limited rock climbing that I do amounts to approximately 20% of the journey. Here's a pic of the type of rocks I'm taking about:

So the next time someone asks me for the name of my hobby, should I say rock climbing or is there another name for this type of activity? I mean I could say that I like to walk on the beach but that's not exactly what my hobby consists of. I also wonder if there is a niche of people out there who like to engage in this particular type of activity.

jt512

Jun 5, 2011, 12:23 AM
Post #2 of 25 (6793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [beachrock] If you like to jump on beach/intertidal rocks, what's the name of that hobby? Does it fall under the "rock climbing" umbrella? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:
So the next time someone asks me for the name of my hobby, should I say rock climbing or is there another name for this type of activity?

Bouldering.

beachrock

Jun 5, 2011, 12:41 AM
Post #3 of 25 (6776 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] If you like to jump on beach/intertidal rocks, what's the name of that hobby? Does it fall under the "rock climbing" umbrella? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

is it really bouldering? I looked it up on wikipedia and it looks like a very different hobby, although you could argue that the 20% of climbing I do amounts to a light version of bouldering. However, how about the part of my hobby that consists of jumping from rock to rock? What's that called?

sungam

Jun 5, 2011, 12:47 AM
Post #4 of 25 (6774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [beachrock] If you like to jump on beach/intertidal rocks, what's the name of that hobby? Does it fall under the "rock climbing" umbrella? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard of "talus running" and "scree running" and "boulder hopping" being used to describe sections of approaches/descents so I guess they could be used to describe your hobby.

I *think* (now this is a little bit of a longshot, but I am shooting for some bonus points here) that J is referring to an article written for... I can't remember the site (ask men dot com or something like that?) that described the different styles of climbing with hilarious inaccuracy, calling belaying "using the rope tohelp pull the climber up the wall" and bouldering "extreme hiking with some short climbs over boulders thrown in".

Do I win?

rtwilli4

Jun 5, 2011, 12:52 AM
Post #5 of 25 (6770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

You are scrambling

beachrock

Jun 5, 2011, 1:09 AM
Post #6 of 25 (6761 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] If you like to jump on beach/intertidal rocks, what's the name of that hobby? Does it fall under the "rock climbing" umbrella? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
I've heard of "talus running" and "scree running" and "boulder hopping" being used to describe sections of approaches/descents so I guess they could be used to describe your hobby.

I *think* (now this is a little bit of a longshot, but I am shooting for some bonus points here) that J is referring to an article written for... I can't remember the site (ask men dot com or something like that?) that described the different styles of climbing with hilarious inaccuracy, calling belaying "using the rope tohelp pull the climber up the wall" and bouldering "extreme hiking with some short climbs over boulders thrown in".

Do I win?

It seems like boulder hopping is the name of this activity. Do you know of any message board (maybe this one?) where I can find people who like to go boulder hopping? I'd like to do it in the company of another person, not only because it's more fun that way but less dangerous in case I jump and break a limb or something.

(This post was edited by beachrock on Jun 5, 2011, 1:10 AM)

sungam

Jun 5, 2011, 1:16 AM
Post #7 of 25 (6757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure. When I google "boulder hopping" I just get a bunch of mountain biking stuff. The first hit was actually disturbingly close to my current location. By "distirbingly close" I mean my actual exact current location. Either google just upgraded their creep-o-meter rating, or that is creepy as hell. Creepy either way, I guess.

I used to do this quite a lot, actually. There was a big long coast of man-placed boulders near where I once lived. They were to stop the tide eating away at the coast and taking out the houses that had been built a bit too close. Good fun running along them.

Not really sure it's main stream enough to have it's own forum, but I hope you meet someone to do it with. I really would suck to break an ankle or get your foot stuck while watching the tide close in...

beachrock

Jun 5, 2011, 1:20 AM
Post #8 of 25 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] If you like to jump on beach/intertidal rocks, what's the name of that hobby? Does it fall under the "rock climbing" umbrella? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
I'm not sure. When I google "boulder hopping" I just get a bunch of mountain biking stuff. The first hit was actually disturbingly close to my current location. By "distirbingly close" I mean my actual exact current location. Either google just upgraded their creep-o-meter rating, or that is creepy as hell. Creepy either way, I guess.

I used to do this quite a lot, actually. There was a big long coast of man-placed boulders near where I once lived. They were to stop the tide eating away at the coast and taking out the houses that had been built a bit too close. Good fun running along them.

Not really sure it's main stream enough to have it's own forum, but I hope you meet someone to do it with. I really would suck to break an ankle or get your foot stuck while watching the tide close in...

Exactly. That's why I am thinking about bringing a swiss army knife with me :)

sungam

Jun 5, 2011, 1:24 AM
Post #9 of 25 (6751 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And your digital camera, man! Gotta think about the the glossy pages in the middle!

Seriously, though. Make sure you bring a phone that has signal and keep it in a pocket/pouch where it is unlikely to be broken if you fall.

As for partners, try asking some friends along. Might turn out that they think it's good fun, too. Then BAM! You got a partner that you can already trust a fair amount.

surfstar

Jun 5, 2011, 3:23 AM
Post #10 of 25 (6717 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] If you like to jump on beach/intertidal rocks, what's the name of that hobby? Does it fall under the "rock climbing" umbrella? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
You are scrambling

+1

Partner epoch

Jun 5, 2011, 3:31 AM
Post #11 of 25 (6713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] If you like to jump on beach/intertidal rocks, what's the name of that hobby? Does it fall under the "rock climbing" umbrella? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
You are scrambling

rtwilli4

Jun 5, 2011, 9:48 AM
Post #12 of 25 (6673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I grew up on the NC coast and we used to go hang out at the lighthouses pretty often. Before the moved the Hatteras lighthouse there were loads of sandbags on the coastline to keep the coast from eroding and the lighthouse from falling into the sea.

We used to run around on the sandbags, hopping from one to the next. I remember once I slipped and did a flip, landing head first in a "crevasse" of sand bags. If my little brother hadn't been there, I would have been stuck and probably drowned when the tide came in...

sungam

Jun 5, 2011, 9:51 AM
Post #13 of 25 (6670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your head was stuck? Now THAT would have added some spice to Between a Rock and a Hard Place!

JimTitt

Jun 5, 2011, 2:02 PM
Post #14 of 25 (6622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The bottom of the cliffs where I began climbing consists of house/car sized boulders in the sea and approach to the routes is by "boulder-hopping" and that´s what the guidebooks call it as well.
If you boulder-hop, wade, swim and climb to get along the coast (sort-of canyoning but on the seaside) the sport is called "coasteering" and there are even people offering courses in the U.K.

Jim

ryanb

Jun 5, 2011, 7:08 PM
Post #15 of 25 (6559 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JimTitt] If you like to jump on beach/intertidal rocks, what's the name of that hobby? Does it fall under the "rock climbing" umbrella? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to do that a lot on the break water's near my house...I thought of it as "talus running" which used to be considered good training for climbing (see the old article part way down this page: http://www.supertopo.com/...06&tn=0&mr=0).

You might try some free running / parkour forums though that tends to be more urban.

sungam

Jun 5, 2011, 7:42 PM
Post #16 of 25 (6553 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanb] If you like to jump on beach/intertidal rocks, what's the name of that hobby? Does it fall under the "rock climbing" umbrella? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, that article is what came to mind for me, too!

skiclimb

Jun 5, 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #17 of 25 (6519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Your head was stuck? Now THAT would have added some spice to Between a Rock and a Hard Place!

Made me laugh...Tongue

sandstoned

Jun 10, 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #18 of 25 (6358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This isn't exactly on topic, but what about downhill running? I mean aggressive running down steep, rocky trails, scree fields, etc.- terrain that really pushes the envelope; is this kind of thing common as a hobby, sport, or competitve event. If not, it should be. I enjoy it- running down steep, rocky trails where concentration and focus are really paramount to safety. It's good fun. Another 'sport' I thought should be invented, if it's not already, is 'canyon swimming.' It would involve a body suit, face mask, and one or two of those spare air canisters that divers sometimes use as an emergency backup (this would come in handy in the case of a logjam- see, it's a well thought out plan). I've always thought it would be sweet to swim some of those narrow whitewater canyons...

RolonRolon

Jun 11, 2011, 6:44 AM
Post #19 of 25 (6309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sandstoned] If you like to jump on beach/intertidal rocks, what's the name of that hobby? Does it fall under the "rock climbing" umbrella? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's called Wobbling. ask any northern Englander.

anykineclimb

Jun 11, 2011, 7:25 AM
Post #20 of 25 (6307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RolonRolon] If you like to jump on beach/intertidal rocks, what's the name of that hobby? Does it fall under the "rock climbing" umbrella? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Weebles?

altelis

Jun 11, 2011, 2:37 PM
Post #21 of 25 (6269 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sandstoned] If you like to jump on beach/intertidal rocks, what's the name of that hobby? Does it fall under the "rock climbing" umbrella? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought it was called "there's an orthopedic surgeon i know who i feel like giving lots of money to" Cool

perelman

Jun 14, 2011, 8:45 PM
Post #22 of 25 (6163 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] If you like to jump on beach/intertidal rocks, what's the name of that hobby? Does it fall under the "rock climbing" umbrella? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
I thought it was called "there's an orthopedic surgeon i know who i feel like giving lots of money to" Cool

Totally off thread but I've noticed your signature a few times and it's just not true. I used to live in the hipster capital of North America - Williamsburg, Brooklyn - and in fact most of the hipsters seemed to care a great deal about hygiene. A very great deal.

I have no reason to defend hipsters, I'm just pedantic.

Anyway back to the OP, I agree, scrambling.

squierbypetzl

Jun 15, 2011, 6:16 AM
Post #23 of 25 (6125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [perelman] If you like to jump on beach/intertidal rocks, what's the name of that hobby? Does it fall under the "rock climbing" umbrella? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just keepin' it real huh?

perelman

Jun 15, 2011, 6:51 PM
Post #24 of 25 (6087 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] If you like to jump on beach/intertidal rocks, what's the name of that hobby? Does it fall under the "rock climbing" umbrella? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a full time job.

blueeyedclimber

Jun 15, 2011, 8:06 PM
Post #25 of 25 (6069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beachrock wrote:
... jumping from one rock to another. Some rocks are very big and require climbing, .

Is it anything like this? Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrxTMVA2LqQ

Josh

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook