Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ACLSRN

Jun 14, 2011, 10:33 PM
Post #1 of 38 (6934 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by ACLSRN
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

MS1

Jun 14, 2011, 11:50 PM
Post #2 of 38 (6896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ACLSRN] Tying in for top roping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ACLSRN wrote:
Hi,
It's been about 20 yrs since I climbed - having learned initially from Don Mellor himself.

My question is this....'back in the day' when I climbed we'd see many top rope-ers tying a Fig. 8 and clipping it into their harness instead of tying in directly with a locking carabiner.

Question IS - is this STILL being done and if so - is it really a safe method?

Almost everyone ties in directly to their hardpoints with no carabiners involved. I've never seen it done the other way except in one very peculiar gym. It adds an extra point of failure and extra complication to your tie-in.

ACLSRN

Jun 15, 2011, 12:01 AM
Post #3 of 38 (6888 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] Tying in for top roping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK thanks....I saw a lot of that in the Gunks years ago and I know Don Mellor sure didn't teach us THAT!

When I say guys doing this - they were doing short top rope routes less than 75 feet - so their reasoning was "If we tie in at the end of a 60 meter rope we're never gonna get to end end of that rope if the climber were to fall, etc from a 50 ft route.

However, I just was taught that it was 'bad practice' to get into the bait of doing - tho I am sure rock gyms feel that it's far faster for belayers to change out and/or newbies trying Fig 8's wrong, etc.

justanotherclimber

Jun 15, 2011, 12:38 AM
Post #4 of 38 (6867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

yes, its still done. and yes, its safe- to a point. is it the safest method- no.

if i were going to clip in to TR often, i'd invest in a steel locking carabiner for the job. the increased strength would be worth it, imho.

one particular case of clipping in vs tying in that is safer is a TR that needs two ropes tied together. in this case, you want the knot at the anchor and then clip in where the rope touches the ground. this prevents the belayer from having to pass the knot while the climber is climbing. other than this scenario, though, i wouldnt recommend it as a matter of course.

ACLSRN

Jun 15, 2011, 1:11 AM
Post #5 of 38 (6851 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justanotherclimber] Tying in for top roping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What about 2 opposing HMS locking 'biners instead of 1 steel of that's all you had?

clc

Jun 15, 2011, 4:30 AM
Post #6 of 38 (6780 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ACLSRN wrote:
What about 2 opposing HMS locking 'biners instead of 1 steel of that's all you had?

Thats what the petzl website shows. A well trusted company.

justanotherclimber

Jun 15, 2011, 5:30 AM
Post #7 of 38 (6764 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clc] Tying in for top roping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clc wrote:
ACLSRN wrote:

Thats what the petzl website shows. A well trusted company.

sure, thats fine. the only reason i would go with steel is the much higher cross load strength it has. again, this is only if i chose to do this on a regular basis.

i would much prefer tying in to clipping in.

ACLSRN

Jun 15, 2011, 6:15 AM
Post #8 of 38 (6752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK thanks......

squierbypetzl

Jun 15, 2011, 7:15 AM
Post #9 of 38 (6736 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

justanotherclimber wrote:
one particular case of clipping in vs tying in that is safer is a TR that needs two ropes tied together. in this case, you want the knot at the anchor and then clip in where the rope touches the ground. this prevents the belayer from having to pass the knot while the climber is climbing. other than this scenario, though, i wouldnt recommend it as a matter of course.

I'm trying to picture this but I don't quite understand it. Could you elaborate please? Single pitch TR, two ropes joined to make a 2x length rope, knot is at the anchor, belayer is on the strand of the rope with the knot (relative to the anchor). Is that correct?

justanotherclimber

Jun 15, 2011, 3:33 PM
Post #10 of 38 (6674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] Tying in for top roping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yup. that way when the knot reaches the ground, the climber should be at the anchor.

if the climber ties in at the end, the knot may be 20-30' below the anchor, forcing the belayer to pass the knot (or walk really far back) to continue belaying.

taydude

Jun 15, 2011, 4:29 PM
Post #11 of 38 (6641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yup. that way when the knot reaches the ground, the climber should be at the anchor.

if the climber ties in at the end, the knot may be 20-30' below the anchor, forcing the belayer to pass the knot (or walk really far back) to continue belaying.

You make NO sense. Clipping in still requires the exact same knot as tying in direct. Since when does a single knot take 20-30' of rope? Also why are you top roping 200' climbs? The rope stretch must be quite exciting...

jomagam

Jun 15, 2011, 4:42 PM
Post #12 of 38 (6631 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taydude] Tying in for top roping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Also why are you top roping 200' climbs? The rope stretch must be quite exciting

Seconding a pitch ?

olderic

Jun 15, 2011, 4:50 PM
Post #13 of 38 (6624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As as typical on RC.com we have two more or less disjoint topics in the same thread:

1. The merits of attaching harness<>biner(s)<>rope - no one has mentioned belay loop vs. rope tie in points yet - but they will.
2. Tying in (using a biner or fancy knot - which also hasn't been brought up yet) at some mid way point on the rope - useful when T-ing with joined ropes.

Can we get a 3rd topic going - should a helmet be worn?

edge

Jun 15, 2011, 4:52 PM
Post #14 of 38 (6624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

taydude wrote:

You make NO sense. Clipping in still requires the exact same knot as tying in direct. Since when does a single knot take 20-30' of rope? Also why are you top roping 200' climbs? The rope stretch must be quite exciting...

I believe what he is talking about is the following (example):

a) 125' high route.
b) two 175' ropes.
c) Tie ropes together (whole seperate thread.)
Pull knot to anchors.
d) Belayer grabs one strand and threads belay device where the rope hits the ground.
e) Climber ties a figure eight on a bight where the opposite side of the rope hits the ground and clips in. Excess rope left dangling.
f) When the knot hits the belayer, the climber is at the anchors.

Of course this is a perfect world scenario that doesn't factor in the X-factor or Murphys Law, and there would be hella rope stretch unless static ropes are used. The excess rope could get in the way of your footwork, or worse, hang up below you. Personally, I hate tying in with just a biner or even two and prefer a good knot.

TarHeelEMT

Jun 15, 2011, 5:24 PM
Post #15 of 38 (6596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Tying in for top roping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
taydude wrote:

a) 125' high route.
b) two 175' ropes.
Pull knot to anchors.
d) Belayer grabs one strand and threads belay device where the rope hits the ground.
e) Climber ties a figure eight on a bight where the opposite side of the rope hits the ground and clips in. Excess rope left dangling.

Of course this is a perfect world scenario that doesn't factor in the X-factor or Murphys Law, and there would be hella rope stretch unless static ropes are used. The excess rope could get in the way of your footwork, or worse, hang up below you. Personally, I hate tying in with just a biner or even two and prefer a good knot.

That's my understanding as well. It's a bit scary that this worked its way into a simple question on the Beginners' forum.

edge

Jun 15, 2011, 5:26 PM
Post #16 of 38 (6592 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] Tying in for top roping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
edge wrote:
taydude wrote:

a) 125' high route.
b) two 175' ropes.
Pull knot to anchors.

That's my understanding as well. It's a bit scary that this worked its way into a simple question on the Beginners' forum.

90% of the responses in the Beginners Forum are scary.

TarHeelEMT

Jun 15, 2011, 5:32 PM
Post #17 of 38 (6581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ACLSRN wrote:
When I say guys doing this - they were doing short top rope routes less than 75 feet - so their reasoning was "If we tie in at the end of a 60 meter rope we're never gonna get to end end of that rope if the climber were to fall, etc from a 50 ft route.

This is the post that is scaring me more than any.

Why would you not be able to catch a climber tied into the end of the rope falling from a 50ft route?

moose_droppings

Jun 15, 2011, 6:07 PM
Post #18 of 38 (6549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
edge wrote:
taydude wrote:

a) 125' high route.
b) two 175' ropes.
Pull knot to anchors.

How did the rope get to the anchor ?
Someone climb up first with a second rope tied to their haul loop?

blueeyedclimber

Jun 15, 2011, 6:09 PM
Post #19 of 38 (6544 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Tying in for top roping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

You've been on this site for 6 years and you're seriously asking, "How'd the rope get up there?"

Josh

redlude97

Jun 15, 2011, 6:12 PM
Post #20 of 38 (6540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
edge wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
edge wrote:
taydude wrote:

a) 125' high route.
b) two 175' ropes.
Pull knot to anchors.

How did the rope get to the anchor ?
Someone climb up first with a second rope tied to their haul loop?
I hope I didn't get trolled, but you do not bring the second rope with you, you tie it to the end of the lead rope

moose_droppings

Jun 15, 2011, 6:21 PM
Post #21 of 38 (6523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Tying in for top roping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
You've been on this site for 6 years and you're seriously asking, "How'd the rope get up there?"

Josh

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

moose_droppings

Jun 15, 2011, 6:23 PM
Post #22 of 38 (6519 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Tying in for top roping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
I hope I didn't get trolled, but you do not bring the second rope with you, you tie it to the end of the lead rope

We both got trolled.

In reply to:
a) 125' high route.
b) two 175' ropes.
Pull knot to anchors.

edge

Jun 15, 2011, 7:13 PM
Post #23 of 38 (6491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
redlude97 wrote:

We both got trolled.

In reply to:
a) you climb to the anchors on a 125' high route. Lead it, rap to it, shoot a string on an arrow through it, whatever.
b)You have two 175' ropes. Maybe you lead on one and trailed the other; maybe you rapped in; maybe you lead on one, tied in, pulled the rope through the pro, lowered it and pulled up the second; whatever...
c) Tie ropes together (whole separate thread.)
Pull knot to anchors. Rap to the ground, or lower creatively, or climb up and walk around, again, whatever.

How is that a troll? All I was trying to do was explain a vague post by someone else with possible scenarios

This would work as described, but not something I would necessarily advocate. Personally, once something gets longer than a half a ropelength, then I might lead it or follow it, but I choose not to top rope it, and certainly not with a locking biner set-up.

(This post was edited by edge on Jun 15, 2011, 7:19 PM)

moose_droppings

Jun 15, 2011, 7:36 PM
Post #24 of 38 (6472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
a) 125' high route.
b) two 175' ropes.
Pull knot to anchors.

It doesn't explain how the rope gets to the anchor in the first place. I was compelled to ask the age old "how did the rope get up there", but the humor was lost. Snowball effect from there.

edge

Jun 15, 2011, 7:42 PM
Post #25 of 38 (6468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
In reply to:
a) 125' high route.
b) two 175' ropes.
Pull knot to anchors.

It doesn't explain how the rope gets to the anchor in the first place. I was compelled to ask the age old "how did the rope get up there", but the humor was lost. Snowball effect from there.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook