Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Lead belay preference palm up or palm down?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

angeleyes

Jun 16, 2011, 12:18 AM
Post #1 of 90 (10851 views)
Shortcut

Lead belay preference palm up or palm down?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just curious what method most of you like to use when lead belaying, brake hand palm up or palm down? By palm up / palm down I'm referring to the two most common ways people belay.

The older brake hand palm up method that lifts the rope to the guide hand to grasp before sliding the brake hand back down when taking slack(Same hand motion as you'd do a hip belay, I've heard it called jokingly the slippery pinch).

Or the palm down method often taught these days, where you grasp the brake strand below the brake hand, before sliding it up when taking slack. I see it especially used for top roping (I've heard it called brake under slide).

Just curious because I was originally taught the palm up way, later switched to the palm down way, but am considering going back to palm up for lead belaying. The main thing I like about palm up is it seems a lot more natural to quickly feed slack especially when the leader's clipping. With the palm down method it's hard to yard out slack as quickly. I notice there seem to be a lot more experienced belayers using palm up for lead.

jt512

Jun 16, 2011, 12:26 AM
Post #2 of 90 (10844 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angeleyes] Lead belay preference palm up or palm down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

angeleyes wrote:
Just curious what method most of you like to use when lead belaying, brake hand palm up or palm down? By palm up / palm down I'm referring to the two most common ways people belay.

The older brake hand palm up method that lifts the rope to the guide hand to grasp before sliding the brake hand back down when taking slack(Same hand motion as you'd do a hip belay, I've heard it called jokingly the slippery pinch).

Or the palm down method often taught these days, where you grasp the brake strand below the brake hand, before sliding it up when taking slack. I see it especially used for top roping (I've heard it called brake under slide).

Just curious because I was originally taught the palm up way, later switched to the palm down way, but am considering going back to palm up for lead belaying. The main thing I like about palm up is it seems a lot more natural to quickly feed slack especially when the leader's clipping. With the palm down method it's hard to yard out slack as quickly. I notice there seem to be a lot more experienced belayers using palm up for lead.

Palm up. It's faster and more flexible.

Jay

acorneau

Jun 16, 2011, 12:32 AM
Post #3 of 90 (10840 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[edit to remove quote]

Roughly: Palm down.

Resting position: Right hand (break hand) grips the rope (thumb closer to belay device) but rests down beside my thigh. Left hand (guide hand) holds the rope just above the belay device, palm up.

As the leader moves up/away I feed rope out in a "poke with a stick" motion then both hands reset to the resting position.

Simple, effective, and easy to master.

(This post was edited by acorneau on Jun 16, 2011, 12:45 AM)

billcoe_

Jun 16, 2011, 3:59 AM
Post #4 of 90 (10785 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Lead belay preference palm up or palm down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are talking with an ATC, Down.

csproul

Jun 16, 2011, 12:22 PM
Post #5 of 90 (10740 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Palm up for lead belaying. Palm down while TR belaying.

edge

Jun 16, 2011, 1:07 PM
Post #6 of 90 (10722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bottom line is that either method is safe and appropriate if it puts you in a constant state of fall-arrest readiness.

Personally I belay as for a palm up, but my hand on the brake side is facing down. The rope runs from the belay device, over the back of my thumb, under the middle three fingers, and then up and over the back of my pinkie.

This creates a little "stiffy" of rope above my pinkie which is easy to grab with my guide hand as I slide the brake hand back down, and also gives the rope some bends which allow for an instant grab as soon as I clench my brake hand into a fist.

I have been belaying like this for decades, have caught hundreds of falls, and it works for me personally, intuitively, and safely.

I will not decline catching a belay from practitioners of either method once I have satisfied myself that they are safe.

sungam

Jun 16, 2011, 4:09 PM
Post #7 of 90 (10675 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Lead belay preference palm up or palm down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:

Jay
Palm up feels awkward and clumsy to me, I only ever belay palm down.

Diphthong

Jun 16, 2011, 4:21 PM
Post #8 of 90 (10660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
angeleyes wrote:

Jay

Your wrong.

soNVclimbing

Jun 16, 2011, 4:26 PM
Post #9 of 90 (10649 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Diphthong] Lead belay preference palm up or palm down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

no, your wrong

Diphthong

Jun 16, 2011, 4:27 PM
Post #10 of 90 (10643 views)
Shortcut

Re: [soNVclimbing] Lead belay preference palm up or palm down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

soNVclimbing wrote:
no, your wrong

How so?

csproul

Jun 16, 2011, 4:27 PM
Post #11 of 90 (10643 views)
Shortcut

Re: [soNVclimbing] Lead belay preference palm up or palm down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

soNVclimbing wrote:
no, your wrong
No, you're both wrong.

caughtinside

Jun 16, 2011, 4:28 PM
Post #12 of 90 (10639 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Diphthong] Lead belay preference palm up or palm down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Diphthong wrote:
soNVclimbing wrote:
no, your wrong

How so?

jt just pulled your belay card, looser!

mikeclimbingdude

Jun 16, 2011, 4:35 PM
Post #13 of 90 (10628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

gri-gri and gloves takes all tha guess work away.

healyje

Jun 16, 2011, 4:40 PM
Post #14 of 90 (10621 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikeclimbingdude] Lead belay preference palm up or palm down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (13 ratings)  
Can't Post

mikeclimbingdude wrote:
gri-gri and gloves takes all tha guess work away.

True, with the gloves on you're much less likely to burn your hands when you drop someone.

Partner epoch

Jun 16, 2011, 4:51 PM
Post #15 of 90 (10611 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Lead belay preference palm up or palm down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Back to the OP, are we talking about using a Gri-Gri, a Cinch, or a Tube device.

I belay differently with each one.

redlude97

Jun 16, 2011, 4:56 PM
Post #16 of 90 (10607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pretty sure my palm has to face down to hold the cam on my gri gri down so "palm down"

iknowfear

Jun 16, 2011, 5:07 PM
Post #17 of 90 (10586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Lead belay preference palm up or palm down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay
Palm up feels awkward and clumsy to me, I only ever belay palm down.
+1

Partner cracklover

Jun 16, 2011, 5:54 PM
Post #18 of 90 (10527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angeleyes wrote:

It Depends ®

GO

kennoyce

Jun 16, 2011, 9:36 PM
Post #19 of 90 (10443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Lead belay preference palm up or palm down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
Palm up for lead belaying. Palm down while TR belaying.

I'm just the oposite, palm down for lead, palm up for tr. This just goes to show that either method is safe as long as you know what you are doing. It just comes down to personal preference.

sspssp

Jun 16, 2011, 9:43 PM
Post #20 of 90 (10439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

angeleyes wrote:

The older brake hand palm up method

Or the palm down method often taught these days

I notice there seem to be a lot more experienced belayers using palm up for lead.

Would that be because the more experienced belayers were taught longer ago when everyone was palm up?

I'm old school, so I'm palm up and have no desire to change a 20+ year habbit. If I was teaching a novice, I would teach palm down.

jmeizis

Jun 16, 2011, 11:18 PM
Post #21 of 90 (10398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Palm down for any belay device or style of climbing. Unless you're a gumby who doesn't understand how belay devices work or like ergonomically akward positioning of your oh so important break hand. Something I always tell beginners: "Is it easier to pull the rope out of the grip of your fingers or through the flesh of your hand?" If you have problems with palms down and can't feed the rope quickly or it feels akward, it's probably because you're in that gumby category.

The only time anyone should have there palm up is when using a munter or a hip belay. That being said there are many people capable of catching falls palms up. It's not wrong, just not the best way.

Diphthong

Jun 16, 2011, 11:24 PM
Post #22 of 90 (10393 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] Lead belay preference palm up or palm down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
Palm down for any belay device or style of climbing. Unless you're a gumby who doesn't understand how belay devices work or like ergonomically akward positioning of your oh so important break hand. Something I always tell beginners: "Is it easier to pull the rope out of the grip of your fingers or through the flesh of your hand?" If you have problems with palms down and can't feed the rope quickly or it feels akward, it's probably because you're in that gumby category.

The only time anyone should have there palm up is when using a munter or a hip belay. That being said there are many people capable of catching falls palms up. It's not wrong, just not the best way.

jt512

Jun 16, 2011, 11:32 PM
Post #23 of 90 (10391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (12 ratings)  
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:

Nice try. Fact is, most people who think they can belay as proficiently palms down as palms up don't really know what proficient belaying is. Additionally, I suspect that you can apply more braking force with the rope locked off palms up than palms down, because palms up the rope makes an extra bend coming out of your hand, rather than running straight through it. I have never heard of a case when the rope was pried out of the belayer's brake hand belaying palms up, although I have heard plenty of know-it-alls like you claim that it was a risk.

I don't know why you keep acting like you actually know anything. You're not fooling anyone, including, most likely, your unfortunate students.

Jay

healyje

Jun 17, 2011, 12:14 AM
Post #24 of 90 (10371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:

johnwesely

Jun 17, 2011, 1:41 AM
Post #25 of 90 (10351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
jmeizis wrote:

Nice try. Fact is, most people who think they can belay as proficiently palms down as palms up don't really know what proficient belaying is. Additionally, I suspect that you can apply more braking force with the rope locked off palms up than palms down, because palms up the rope makes an extra bend coming out of your hand, rather than running straight through it. I have never heard of a case when the rope was pried out of the belayer's brake hand belaying palms up, although I have heard plenty of know-it-alls like you claim that it was a risk.

I don't know why you keep acting like you actually know anything. You're not fooling anyone, including, most likely, your unfortunate students.

Jay

FWIW, I used to belay palms up, and whenever I was holding a climber for more than a minute, I would break with my guide hand and switch to palms down. Whether or not palms down has more holding power, it sure feels easier. I don't really see how belaying palms up would make it easier to feed out slack.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook