Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Would you NOT buy this rope?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

 


TheStudent


Jun 15, 2011, 8:33 AM
Post #1 of 12 (5378 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 14, 2011
Posts: 3

Would you NOT buy this rope?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have to ask here and I'm sorry for yet another rope question.

Why would anyone not buy this for their first rope?

http://www.rei.com/...102mm-x-60m-dry-rope

$139 10.2/60m Dry treated. It's far cheaper than most any other ropes with all the same ratings and stats aside from the slightly harder falls.

Has anyone had experience with it? Would YOU buy this rope or are you brand loyal?


TarHeelEMT


Jun 15, 2011, 8:38 AM
Post #2 of 12 (5366 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 20, 2009
Posts: 724

Re: [TheStudent] Would you NOT buy this rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've climbed on that rope.

When I first got into wall climbing, we even used it as a haul line. Its handling isn't great, but it is very durable and can withstand the abuse a new climber will put it through.

I'd recommend it for a first rope.


(This post was edited by TarHeelEMT on Jun 15, 2011, 8:40 AM)


DrNubbins


Jun 15, 2011, 8:49 AM
Post #3 of 12 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 7, 2010
Posts: 17

Re: [TheStudent] Would you NOT buy this rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

That was my first rope, I'd recommend it. Durability isn't quite as good as the more expensive guys - got a sterling marathon for my next one and the difference is huge, but for the price it can't be beat. Great first rope.


shockabuku


Jun 15, 2011, 8:49 AM
Post #4 of 12 (5341 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4868

Re: [TheStudent] Would you NOT buy this rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

TheStudent wrote:
I have to ask here and I'm sorry for yet another rope question.

Why would anyone not buy this for their first rope?

http://www.rei.com/...102mm-x-60m-dry-rope

$139 10.2/60m Dry treated. It's far cheaper than most any other ropes with all the same ratings and stats aside from the slightly harder falls.

Has anyone had experience with it? Would YOU buy this rope or are you brand loyal?

It's not a very nice color.


caughtinside


Jun 15, 2011, 9:29 AM
Post #5 of 12 (5305 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 30603

Re: [TheStudent] Would you NOT buy this rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

that is a fine rope.


xbrianx1990


Jun 15, 2011, 10:35 AM
Post #6 of 12 (5243 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 24, 2009
Posts: 41

Re: [TheStudent] Would you NOT buy this rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

That was my first rope and it turned out to be a good choice.


dagibbs


Jun 16, 2011, 3:56 PM
Post #7 of 12 (5117 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 30, 2007
Posts: 921

Re: [shockabuku] Would you NOT buy this rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
TheStudent wrote:
I have to ask here and I'm sorry for yet another rope question.

Why would anyone not buy this for their first rope?

http://www.rei.com/...102mm-x-60m-dry-rope

$139 10.2/60m Dry treated. It's far cheaper than most any other ropes with all the same ratings and stats aside from the slightly harder falls.

Has anyone had experience with it? Would YOU buy this rope or are you brand loyal?

It's not a very nice color.

+1

Exactly what I was thinking.


jbrown2


Jun 16, 2011, 10:53 PM
Post #8 of 12 (5004 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 4, 2005
Posts: 96

Re: [dagibbs] Would you NOT buy this rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Bought this rope. Nice durability and soft catches. (even though that s most likely from my belayer. We used this rope for a bit but realized two things. Some routes we wanted to et on needed 70m rope and the thing is real stiff. you can hold it standing up about three feet without it drooping. Makes it one of the less good handaling rope i have used


moose_droppings


Jun 16, 2011, 11:06 PM
Post #9 of 12 (4997 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 7, 2005
Posts: 3371

Re: [jbrown2] Would you NOT buy this rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jbrown2 wrote:
Bought this rope. Nice durability and soft catches. (even though that s most likely from my belayer. We used this rope for a bit but realized two things. Some routes we wanted to et on needed 70m rope and the thing is real stiff. you can hold it standing up about three feet without it drooping. Makes it one of the less good handaling rope i have used

It'll get soft with more handling.


Partner j_ung


Jun 17, 2011, 4:55 AM
Post #10 of 12 (4948 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18690

Re: [TheStudent] Would you NOT buy this rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I prefer a soft hand, so based on the feedback I wouldn't buy it. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't. If you don't mind a slightly stiffer rope, it sounds like a screaming good deal. If you like a supple rope, I can recommend another deal:

Sterling Kosmos

That's not a sale price. If I remember correctly, Sterling makes this thing using less expensive yarn colors. Performance wise, it's a fantastic rope. It's Dry Core, which means the dry treatment is inside the rope, where it'll do the most good over the long haul. It can't just wear off. I could call it a good first rope, but I'm seriously considering getting one myself, and it definitely won't be my first rope.

Also available here: http://www.lookingglassoutfitters.com/...mp;cat=35&page=1


rtwilli4


Jun 17, 2011, 8:37 AM
Post #11 of 12 (4890 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 14, 2008
Posts: 1867

Re: [TheStudent] Would you NOT buy this rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well that rope handles like a steel cable.

No beginner (and most non-beginners) need a dry treated rope unless they are on ice, in which case they'd probably opt for twins.

And then there is this: http://gearexpress.com/

Edited to add that I meant the Edelweiss or Sterling on the bottom of the page. They are always on sale. Beals suck just as much as that white and green thing, but for different reasons.


(This post was edited by rtwilli4 on Jun 17, 2011, 3:26 PM)


jeepnphreak


Jun 17, 2011, 10:49 AM
Post #12 of 12 (4845 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 28, 2008
Posts: 1259

Re: [TheStudent] Would you NOT buy this rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For a first rope its fine, it will be pretty durable.
My only beef with it is that is handles like a cable, I think it is too stiff and it pigtails as well. rope al dente!


Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook