Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

flyslasher

Jun 22, 2011, 7:25 AM
Post #1 of 58 (7420 views)
Shortcut

What to concentrate on buying
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I am kind of new to climbing outside and have the very basic of equipment which allows for top roping and limited trad and sport. I want to know what is the best things to buy next!

I will mostly be doing top roping and sport climbing, trad is not very high on my priority list but I might do it every once in a while probably with someone more experienced :D

[( Don't bother recommending a helmet :)]

My equipment is as follows...
2 Oval Carabiners
2 Locking Carabiners
1 D Shaped Carabiner
1 Wire Gate Carabiner
8 Nuts( sizes in between 3 and 11, none are two of the same )
6 QuickDraws
ATC-XP Belay
Figure Eight
2 10ft Tubular Webbing
3 20ft Tubular Webbing
1 60ft Tubular Webbing
1 Chalk Bag
Climbing Shoes
60m Mammut Rope

Priority List
Harness( I have been fashioning ones out of the 20ft Webbing )
3 Screw carabiners
Selection of 5 or 6mm prussik cord.( short and long )
1 shoulder length sling
2 double shoulder length slings
6 quick draws
Climbing Helmet( Once I get more into trad I suppose )

If anyone has any suggestions as to what gear I should try and get and also even brands to recommend, please post here!

(This post was edited by flyslasher on Jun 23, 2011, 12:42 AM)

Tjin

Jun 22, 2011, 9:57 AM
Post #2 of 58 (7390 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flyslasher] What to concentrate on buying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lets start with the basics you are missing:

- Helmet (try everything and buy the best fitting one)
- Shoes (also try them on before buying)
- Belay device (BD ATC XP, Petzl Reverso 3 or similiar)

flyslasher

Jun 22, 2011, 10:01 AM
Post #3 of 58 (7386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tjin] What to concentrate on buying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, sorry, i was being stupid and forgot those... except the helmet. Don't own a helmet... not really planning on it :P

Tjin

Jun 22, 2011, 10:08 AM
Post #4 of 58 (7382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Take a helmet, rock sometimes comes to you and sometimes you go to the rock. Neither is great without a helmet. Especially if you are new to climbing and don't know all the risks.

As for more equipment, for sport/multipitch i would add:
- 3 more Screw carabiners
- Selection of 5 or 6mm prussik cord. (short and long)
- 1 shoulder length sling
- 2 double shoulder length slings
- Add 4 - 6 quick draws (If your partner doesn't have additional draws)

(This post was edited by Tjin on Jun 22, 2011, 10:08 AM)

dbogardus

Jun 22, 2011, 11:35 AM
Post #5 of 58 (7362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flyslasher wrote:
Oh, sorry, i was being stupid and forgot those... except the helmet. Don't own a helmet... not really planning on it :P

The first things you should concentrate on buying are a helmet and a harness.

(This post was edited by dbogardus on Jun 22, 2011, 5:26 PM)

lena_chita

Jun 22, 2011, 1:56 PM
Post #6 of 58 (7336 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbogardus] What to concentrate on buying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

dbogardus wrote:
flyslasher wrote:

The first things should concentrate on buying are a helmet and a harness.

Then add another set of quickdraws. 6 quickdraws that you have won't be enough to get you up most sport climbs. 12-15 will cover most sport-climbing situations.

jt512

Jun 22, 2011, 4:51 PM
Post #7 of 58 (7294 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flyslasher wrote:
So I am kind of new to climbing outside and have the very basic of equipment which allows for top roping and limited trad and sport. I want to know what is the best things to buy next!

I will mostly be doing top roping and sport climbing, trad is not very high on my priority list but I might do it every once in a while( like less than once a month ).

My equipment is as follows...
2 Oval Carabiners
2 Locking Carabiners
1 D Shaped Carabiner
1 Wire Gate Carabiner
8 Nuts( sizes in between 3 and 11, none are two of the same )
6 QuickDraws
ATC Belay
Figure Eight
2 10ft Tubular Webbing
3 20ft Tubular Webbing
1 60ft Tubular Webbing
1 Chalk Bag
Climbing Shoes
60m Mammut Rope

Priority List
1.Harness( I have been fashioning ones out of the 20ft Webbing )

If anyone has any suggestions as to what gear I should try and get and also even brands to recommend, please post here!

Like Lena said, for sport climbing, you'll need a lot more draws. And for trad climbing, you'll need a lot more gear; for starters, either a set of cams, or if you can't afford those, a set of hexes, and at least a half-dozen shoulder-length slings with two biners each, to use as runners on pro. If you want to be prepared for both trad and sport, with the least investment in equipment, you could temporarily forgo the extra draws and use your trad runners, which you can shorten by tripling, as makeshift quickdraws.

Last, but not least, if your belay device is a plain ATC, you should replace it ASAP with a more modern belay device such as the ATC–XP. The old-school ATC does not have sufficient braking power for the current generation of thinner ropes.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jun 22, 2011, 6:15 PM)

flyslasher

Jun 22, 2011, 7:13 PM
Post #8 of 58 (7255 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] What to concentrate on buying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm learning stuff already! Yes I do have an ATC-XP Belay Device, I just thought it was a normal ATC but looked a little and found out what I had.

As for a helmet, well I just won't be doing any of this.. http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81597663/

Currently a harness is something I really need even though my tubular webbing functions just aswell, but I guess that is so I can use it in a gym :P

michael1245

Jun 22, 2011, 8:05 PM
Post #9 of 58 (7228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flyslasher wrote:
As for a helmet, well I just won't be doing any of this..

Get a helmet.

Then, do some climbing.

Then, after you do a few climbs, take a look at all the scrapes and dents on your helmet.

Then, look at your head and imagine all those scrapes and dents there and be glad you got the helmet.

TarHeelEMT

Jun 22, 2011, 9:38 PM
Post #10 of 58 (7213 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flyslasher wrote:

As for a helmet, well I just won't be doing any of this.. http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81597663/

Currently a harness is something I really need even though my tubular webbing functions just aswell, but I guess that is so I can use it in a gym :P

Get the damned helmet.

No helmet on sport... your choice. No helmet on a new trad leader... idiotic.

(This post was edited by TarHeelEMT on Jun 22, 2011, 9:38 PM)

spikeddem

Jun 22, 2011, 10:02 PM
Post #11 of 58 (7205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Asks for advice and ignores it. Classic.

flyslasher

Jun 22, 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #12 of 58 (7199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] What to concentrate on buying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
Hmmm? Oh, sorry if I havn't been adding to my list thingy... if thats whats bothering. Otherwise, meh, I have been learning lots and thinking about these suggestions I am getting. When did I ever specify "Screw you and your ideas"? Never :)

Anyways, the only reason I am not worried about a helmet is because I am mainly doing sport and top rope as I did say. I will get a helmet when I decide to try out trad but as I did say I am not really on my way to doing that, and even if I did do it I would most likely not be leader.

Anyone else in a bad mood and aiming to piss off others aye?

TarHeelEMT

Jun 22, 2011, 10:39 PM
Post #13 of 58 (7190 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It doesn't matter if you're the leader. The helmet is as much to protect against things falling down on top of you as anything else.

Not to mention simply knocking your head against roofs, etc...

(This post was edited by TarHeelEMT on Jun 22, 2011, 11:33 PM)

spikeddem

Jun 22, 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #14 of 58 (7187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flyslasher wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
Hmmm? Oh, sorry if I havn't been adding to my list thingy... if thats whats bothering. Otherwise, meh, I have been learning lots and thinking about these suggestions I am getting. When did I ever specify "Screw you and your ideas"? Never :)

Anyways, the only reason I am not worried about a helmet is because I am mainly doing sport and top rope as I did say. I will get a helmet when I decide to try out trad but as I did say I am not really on my way to doing that, and even if I did do it I would most likely not be leader.

Anyone else in a bad mood and aiming to piss off others aye?

I'm not in a bad mood. I just stated the obvious. You asked for advice on gear, several people told you to get a helmet, you said "No thanks."

Not much more to it than that.

It seems clear that you don't understand the purposes of a helmet. It goes far beyond just protecting a leader during a lead fall.

flyslasher

Jun 23, 2011, 12:42 AM
Post #15 of 58 (7160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe I came off as a bit rude in my last post. Its not like you were helping though. Yes, you did state the obvious but you did it in such a way that makes it very hard to respond positively to it.

I'm not aiming to start some mini forum war with you, so anyways... Yes, quit a few people have recommended a helmet all of which I said no to. I invited the rest of their suggestions but a helmet does not fit my personality( I can't even wear base ball caps ). Sure, call me a dumb ass and a fool but I really don't care. I will come to learn of my mistakes and don't need you guys to tell me the consequences; although, I do appreciate it.

It would have been nice though if you actually had any input of other gear I could get!

Its all appreciated, espicially if you can recommend brands and their pros/cons!

TarHeelEMT

Jun 23, 2011, 12:45 AM
Post #16 of 58 (7156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flyslasher wrote:
Maybe I came off as a bit rude in my last post. Its not like you were helping though. Yes, you did state the obvious but you did it in such a way that makes it very hard to respond positively to it.

I'm not aiming to start some mini forum war with you, so anyways... Yes, quit a few people have recommended a helmet all of which I said no to. I invited the rest of their suggestions but a helmet does not fit my personality( I can't even wear base ball caps ). Sure, call me a dumb ass and a fool but I really don't care. I will come to learn of my mistakes and don't need you guys to tell me the consequences; although, I do appreciate it.

It would have been nice though if you actually had any input of other gear I could get!

Its all appreciated, espicially if you can recommend brands and their pros/cons!

Head trauma can be difficult to learn from.

(This post was edited by TarHeelEMT on Jun 23, 2011, 12:46 AM)

spikeddem

Jun 23, 2011, 1:07 AM
Post #17 of 58 (7145 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] What to concentrate on buying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
flyslasher wrote:

Head trauma can be difficult to learn from.

Flyslasher never wore his helmet . . .

You know, this guy is alive today to take this picture only because he was wearing his helmet. Who knows what might have happened when this rock landed on him if he wasn't wearing his helmet:

TarHeelEMT

Jun 23, 2011, 1:20 AM
Post #18 of 58 (7136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hahaha

flyslasher

Post #19 of 58 (7134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Indeed. I do know what can and does happen :3

kachoong

Post #20 of 58 (7134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

michael1245

Jun 23, 2011, 1:22 AM
Post #21 of 58 (7129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flyslasher wrote:
Anyways, the only reason I am not worried about a helmet is because I am mainly doing sport and top rope...I will get a helmet when I decide to try out trad...even if I did do it I would most likely not be leader.

I can tell you this...even on TR and Sport climbs rocks will still fall and your head can smack off of rock just as easy as it would on trad, lead or no lead.

If not for you, think about if you're belaying someone and you take a rock to the skull and go down for the count while they're on the wall.

It's no big deal. Get a helmet. Put some rad stickers on it, or write a funny quote across the back so when you climb people can read it. Nobody is going to say "look at that dork with the helmet, haha".

flyslasher

Jun 23, 2011, 1:26 AM
Post #22 of 58 (7122 views)
Shortcut

Re: [michael1245] What to concentrate on buying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

michael1245 wrote:
flyslasher wrote:
Anyways, the only reason I am not worried about a helmet is because I am mainly doing sport and top rope...I will get a helmet when I decide to try out trad...even if I did do it I would most likely not be leader.

I can tell you this...even on TR and Sport climbs rocks will still fall and your head can smack off of rock just as easy as it would on trad, lead or no lead.

If not for you, think about if you're belaying someone and you take a rock to the skull and go down for the count while they're on the wall.

It's no big deal. Get a helmet. Put some rad stickers on it, or write a funny quote across the back so when you climb people can read it. Nobody is going to say "look at that dork with the helmet, haha".

Thats a great point and also very helpful to people who might need it including me. You know, I have now set a goal for myself and for the rest of my climbing :D

flyslasher

Jun 23, 2011, 1:50 AM
Post #23 of 58 (7090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go here http://www.rockclimbing.com/...rum.cgi?post=2104394 and read the fourth post down by kennoyce.

That is the kind of stuff I will most likely do and hits home with me and my personality. Did you fellas think I wouldn't wear a helmet all of the time. Stop looking through the world as black and white ;)

Besides, the only reason I don't already own a helmet is because I am poor :P

alleyehave

Jun 23, 2011, 3:02 AM
Post #24 of 58 (7038 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flyslasher wrote:
Go here http://www.rockclimbing.com/...rum.cgi?post=2104394 and read the fourth post down by kennoyce.

That is the kind of stuff I will most likely do and hits home with me and my personality. Did you fellas think I wouldn't wear a helmet all of the time. Stop looking through the world as black and white ;)

Besides, the only reason I don't already own a helmet is because I am poor :P

So is it because of your personality or because of money? Make up your mind. Regardless, what does any of this have anything to do with 'personality'? All that says is that you're probably too cool to wear a seatbelt too, carry on.

flyslasher

Jun 23, 2011, 3:13 AM
Post #25 of 58 (7031 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alleyehave] What to concentrate on buying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How the hell did you get this idea that I'm trying to be cool. Because you can't solve problems and its easier for you just to blast out shit in an attempt to stir the pot? :D, striked it pretty good eh?

Anyways, if you also have been paying attention its that I generally don't like wearing helmets or hats or anything on my head and I guess it will be more if the situation calls for it rather than the 100% or 0% of time guideline you guys thrive on. I just noted the only reason I don't have a helmet right at this moment is because I can't afford it.

Wow, did you see that. When you actually understand stuff you can write something that helps rather than blast crap from out of the blue. :D, hoped this help!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook