Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

rtwilli4

Jun 23, 2011, 12:05 PM
Post #51 of 58 (1147 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flyslasher] What to concentrate on buying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

flyslasher wrote:

Anyways, the only reason I am not worried about a helmet is because I am mainly doing sport and top rope as I did say. I will get a helmet when I decide to try out trad but as I did say I am not really on my way to doing that, and even if I did do it I would most likely not be leader.

Anyone else in a bad mood and aiming to piss off others aye?

No one is trying to piss you off. But I think by the number of people (experienced people) that have recommended a helmet that maybe you would think twice before ignoring them.

I understand that you don't think you need a helmet for sport climbing or TRing but of all of the things that a helmet protects you from, a lead fall is probably low on the list.

Falling rock, falling gear, morons at the top of the cliff chucking stuff off... this can all happen while or are climbing AND while you are belaying.

I never wear a helmet sport climbing and don't always wear it when leading single pitch trad. But I do always wear one in a trad area that I have not been to before, at least until I get a sense of the rock quality and what kind of trials might be above the wall. I can't even count the times I've seen belayers or just people sitting around at the crag have near misses with falling rocks/gear/etc.

Excluding multi-pitch climbing, the most common times for me to wear a helmet are when I am belaying or sitting around at the bottom of the crag. And even though I might not always wear it leading, I always have it with me. If I'm on a steep wall with good pro and solid rock I probably won't wear it. But it's nice to have it with me just in case.

You can get one for $50. Stupid for any climber not to own one.

puravida9539

Jun 23, 2011, 1:47 PM
Post #52 of 58 (1134 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] What to concentrate on buying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As others have said, you won't be wearing a helmet every climb. However, it does help to have one with you, as you never really know when you might need it. It would suck to have to skip a wall just because there is some loose rock and you and/or your belayer don't have a helmet.

flyslasher

Jun 23, 2011, 7:41 PM
Post #53 of 58 (1114 views)
Shortcut

Re: [puravida9539] What to concentrate on buying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, I know now when its is best to wear a helmet. I haven't completely been ignoring this higher ups too :D, just been taking a little bit of all their input to go and make my own decision.

Thanks!

wwalt822

Jun 23, 2011, 9:27 PM
Post #54 of 58 (1097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flyslasher wrote:
Yes, I know now when its is best to wear a helmet. I haven't completely been ignoring this higher ups too :D, just been taking a little bit of all their input to go and make my own decision.

Thanks!

http://www.traditionalmountaineering.org/..._Smith_Amling_06.htm

flyslasher

Jun 24, 2011, 12:16 AM
Post #55 of 58 (1073 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wwalt822] What to concentrate on buying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wwalt822 wrote:
flyslasher wrote:

Thanks!

http://www.traditionalmountaineering.org/..._Smith_Amling_06.htm

Whats your point Smile

billcoe_

Jun 24, 2011, 4:33 PM
Post #56 of 58 (1031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Fly, read this carefully: YOU NEED A MENTOR.

That's correct, you don't "need" a helmet, you don't need gear, you need someone with experience to get you squared away. Find that and you will find safety. It might be a series of classes, it might be a good person who wants an upbeat dude to teach. Find that and go from there. That's ground zero and square one you need to concentrate on. All this internet bullshit is posturing that won't mean a damn thing when you're dead. Get a live human who can show you the ropes and whats what. They'll have gear. Use theirs and you will figure out quickly what you need for your area.

BTW, I own 5 or 6 helmets and pick and choose when I use them because it's not what is ON your head that is important, but what is IN your head. You have nothing IN your head, and that's where you need to go first.

Please do not take that as an insult, all of us started out there.

Good luck, have fun and be safe.

billcoe_

Jun 24, 2011, 4:44 PM
Post #57 of 58 (1027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Your post needed to be fully quoted. Remember what I said. All of this shit together can't make you a safe climber and being safe is the goal. I've seen people dead on the rock with grey matter that use to be their brains everywhere, with large racks of shiney gear laying back up on the ledge that didn't help them a fucks bit of difference.

Learn all you can from everywhere you can. I'm not joking. This isn't just me musing on the way it use to be (although it really use to be this way back in the say) I was in Yosemite and got a text that some 23 year old Austrian kid had died on the 50 foot shithole of a cliff back home just a couple weeks ago. Just topropoing like you want to do. The news noted that the kid had climbed in the alps and was "experienced". I can assure you his brain was lacking in something and it got him killed.

Learn all you can from everywhere you can. It's not a game....although it can be one, and a damn fun one, once you get the technical carp figured out and hardwired in your brain.

flyslasher wrote:
So I am kind of new to climbing outside and have the very basic of equipment which allows for top roping and limited trad and sport. I want to know what is the best things to buy next!

I will mostly be doing top roping and sport climbing, trad is not very high on my priority list but I might do it every once in a while probably with someone more experienced :D

[( Don't bother recommending a helmet :)]

My equipment is as follows...
2 Oval Carabiners
2 Locking Carabiners
1 D Shaped Carabiner
1 Wire Gate Carabiner
8 Nuts( sizes in between 3 and 11, none are two of the same )
6 QuickDraws
ATC-XP Belay
Figure Eight
2 10ft Tubular Webbing
3 20ft Tubular Webbing
1 60ft Tubular Webbing
1 Chalk Bag
Climbing Shoes
60m Mammut Rope

Priority List
Harness( I have been fashioning ones out of the 20ft Webbing )
3 Screw carabiners
Selection of 5 or 6mm prussik cord.( short and long )
1 shoulder length sling
2 double shoulder length slings
6 quick draws
Climbing Helmet( Once I get more into trad I suppose )

If anyone has any suggestions as to what gear I should try and get and also even brands to recommend, please post here!

Tjin

Jun 25, 2011, 9:59 AM
Post #58 of 58 (992 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] What to concentrate on buying [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
Your post needed to be fully quoted. Remember what I said. All of this shit together can't make you a safe climber and being safe is the goal. I've seen people dead on the rock with grey matter that use to be their brains everywhere, with large racks of shiney gear laying back up on the ledge that didn't help them a fucks bit of difference.

Learn all you can from everywhere you can. I'm not joking. This isn't just me musing on the way it use to be (although it really use to be this way back in the say) I was in Yosemite and got a text that some 23 year old Austrian kid had died on the 50 foot shithole of a cliff back home just a couple weeks ago. Just topropoing like you want to do. The news noted that the kid had climbed in the alps and was "experienced". I can assure you his brain was lacking in something and it got him killed.

Learn all you can from everywhere you can. It's not a game....although it can be one, and a damn fun one, once you get the technical carp figured out and hardwired in your brain.

flyslasher wrote:
So I am kind of new to climbing outside and have the very basic of equipment which allows for top roping and limited trad and sport. I want to know what is the best things to buy next!

I will mostly be doing top roping and sport climbing, trad is not very high on my priority list but I might do it every once in a while probably with someone more experienced :D

[( Don't bother recommending a helmet :)]

My equipment is as follows...
2 Oval Carabiners
2 Locking Carabiners
1 D Shaped Carabiner
1 Wire Gate Carabiner
8 Nuts( sizes in between 3 and 11, none are two of the same )
6 QuickDraws
ATC-XP Belay
Figure Eight
2 10ft Tubular Webbing
3 20ft Tubular Webbing
1 60ft Tubular Webbing
1 Chalk Bag
Climbing Shoes
60m Mammut Rope

Priority List
Harness( I have been fashioning ones out of the 20ft Webbing )
3 Screw carabiners
Selection of 5 or 6mm prussik cord.( short and long )
1 shoulder length sling
2 double shoulder length slings
6 quick draws
Climbing Helmet( Once I get more into trad I suppose )

If anyone has any suggestions as to what gear I should try and get and also even brands to recommend, please post here!

Amen.

I noticed you added mine suggestion to you priority list. Well except for the helmet... Make sure you know how to use these items and know for what purpose.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook