RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

shu2kill

Jun 29, 2011, 6:51 PM
Post #1 of 21 (18977 views)
Shortcut

top rope hardware
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey. what are you using for top rope hardware? right now we have equalized anchors made with slings or quickdraws in some walls, or chain anchors with carabiners on others. but we are about to expand the gym and put up about 10 new lines, so we are looking for other options. maybe something with a bit more radius, so the rope wont bend so much so it will last longer? or what do everyone is using?

thanx....

kennoyce

Jun 29, 2011, 7:46 PM
Post #2 of 21 (18960 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shu2kill] top rope hardware [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shu2kill wrote:
hey. what are you using for top rope hardware? right now we have equalized anchors made with slings or quickdraws in some walls, or chain anchors with carabiners on others. but we are about to expand the gym and put up about 10 new lines, so we are looking for other options. maybe something with a bit more radius, so the rope wont bend so much so it will last longer? or what do everyone is using?

thanx....

Every gym I've climbed at has big bars (probably 4" in diameter) for the TR anchors with the rope double wrapped around them to increase the friction and help them stay in place.

shu2kill

Jun 30, 2011, 4:15 AM
Post #3 of 21 (18925 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] top rope hardware [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanx. i was thinking something like that, a 3 or 4" pipe, but i dont know if i would like to wrap the rope around it.... i think if people learn to lower someone using that setup, when they lower someone from 2 biners they will lack the friction....

so, any other options besides the pipe??

acorneau

Jun 30, 2011, 11:21 PM
Post #4 of 21 (18883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shu2kill wrote:
thanx. i was thinking something like that, a 3 or 4" pipe, but i dont know if i would like to wrap the rope around it....

It sucks. Use the pipe but don't wrap it.

jt512

Jul 1, 2011, 2:10 AM
Post #5 of 21 (18858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

shu2kill wrote:

thanx....

You must have a very professionally run operation—to rely on rockclimbing.com for how to equip your routes.

Jay

shu2kill

Jul 1, 2011, 4:11 AM
Post #6 of 21 (18838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] top rope hardware [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

we have been runing for 10 years, using regular equalized anchors... but wanted to see some other options... what other place to ask people who has been on a lot of gyms??? it doesnt means im going to do everything i am told, but it can give me some ideas....

jt512

Jul 1, 2011, 6:20 AM
Post #7 of 21 (18823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shu2kill wrote:
we have been runing for 10 years, using regular equalized anchors... but wanted to see some other options... what other place to ask people who has been on a lot of gyms??? it doesnt means im going to do everything i am told, but it can give me some ideas....

Please disclose the name and location of your gym. And post pictures. I'm really curious as to what kind of commercial climbing gym gets its advice from rockclimbing.com.

Jay

shu2kill

Jul 3, 2011, 7:53 PM
Post #8 of 21 (18754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i will sure post pics when we are done... and, where else could we seek for "opinions" if not from here?? this is the ONLY climbing gym in the STATE... and, we are not in the US...

jt512

Jul 3, 2011, 9:13 PM
Post #9 of 21 (18743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shu2kill wrote:
i will sure post pics when we are done... and, where else could we seek for "opinions" if not from here?? this is the ONLY climbing gym in the STATE... and, we are not in the US...

So, like, you'd never even seen a climbing gym? You just went and opened one?

Jay

shu2kill

Jul 4, 2011, 3:03 PM
Post #10 of 21 (18698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first of all, it is not mine, and it has been on operation for 11 years. a friend bought it 4 years ago... for top rope, they have always been using 2 point anchors with quickdraws or chain.... and since the climbing population is going up, my friend rented a bigger place and i am helping him remodeling and setting it up... so since we are remodelin the gym, we thought maybe there were other options besides what we currently have for tope rope...

Rabit536

Jul 4, 2011, 4:20 PM
Post #11 of 21 (18691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I sure hope you know what you're doing, otherwise I feel sorry for the guy who hits the deck.
http://www.fixeusa.com/...ng_gyms_hardware.htm

shu2kill

Jul 5, 2011, 3:09 AM
Post #12 of 21 (18671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rabit536] top rope hardware [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rabit536 wrote:
I sure hope you know what you're doing, otherwise I feel sorry for the guy who hits the deck.
http://www.fixeusa.com/...ng_gyms_hardware.htm

thanx for the link. if you read the first post, you would know that i do know what i am doing. the anchors you posted are more or less what we are already using, and they look more like something you would see at the top of a sport route. i am looking for something that would preserve more the ropes, something like the pipe they already mentioned...

dagibbs

Jul 7, 2011, 3:57 AM
Post #13 of 21 (18614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have seen think pipe with the rope over, or often wrapped once around the pipe. The one wrap does make it very forgiving for a bad/sloppy belayer, though for lowering light climbers you almost feel like you need to push the rope through the belay device. This has the added advantage that the rope can be shifted right/left along the pipe to better line it up with on or another route on the wall.

I've seen stuff like at the top of an outdoor climbing route -- generally steel biners or, more often, quick links, thick heavy and solidy shut, used in pairs. Sometimes positioned a bit apart from each other to increase the radious -- that is, so the rope goes up, over some distance (sometimes a foot, sometimes a few feet, the 2nd again allowing one rope to cover a couple different climbs.). Sometimes chains hanging down, and the rope through big links on the end of a pair of chains.

rschap

Jul 8, 2011, 3:13 AM
Post #14 of 21 (18569 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] top rope hardware [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is what we use at my gym. I made them myself (I’m a certified welder) but you can buy them from a company but I can’t remember which one. I thought it was rockwerx but I couldn’t find it on their site. The other option is to find a welding shop local to you and have them made, expect to spend a couple hundred each on them. I used 2 ½” Sch 40 pipe 12” long and ¼” plate for the sides and back. Using these at least doubled the life of the ropes over the 2 quicklink on chains system the previous owner had set up. We don’t double wrap because it adds too much friction and makes it imposable to lower the little ones (we did try it for a few weeks and then switched back).

Attachments: IMG_6026.jpg (15.1 KB)

shu2kill

Jul 10, 2011, 4:50 AM
Post #15 of 21 (18519 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] top rope hardware [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
I have seen think pipe with the rope over, or often wrapped once around the pipe. The one wrap does make it very forgiving for a bad/sloppy belayer, though for lowering light climbers you almost feel like you need to push the rope through the belay device. This has the added advantage that the rope can be shifted right/left along the pipe to better line it up with on or another route on the wall.

I've seen stuff like at the top of an outdoor climbing route -- generally steel biners or, more often, quick links, thick heavy and solidy shut, used in pairs. Sometimes positioned a bit apart from each other to increase the radious -- that is, so the rope goes up, over some distance (sometimes a foot, sometimes a few feet, the 2nd again allowing one rope to cover a couple different climbs.). Sometimes chains hanging down, and the rope through big links on the end of a pair of chains.

thanx. right now we are using anchors that you would find in an outdoor route, but since ropes we used a lot, we were thinking on something to increase the radius and hopefully make them last a little longer...

(This post was edited by shu2kill on Jul 10, 2011, 5:00 AM)

shu2kill

Jul 10, 2011, 4:55 AM
Post #16 of 21 (18518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rschap] top rope hardware [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rschap wrote:
This is what we use at my gym. I made them myself (I’m a certified welder) but you can buy them from a company but I can’t remember which one. I thought it was rockwerx but I couldn’t find it on their site. The other option is to find a welding shop local to you and have them made, expect to spend a couple hundred each on them. I used 2 ½” Sch 40 pipe 12” long and ¼” plate for the sides and back. Using these at least doubled the life of the ropes over the 2 quicklink on chains system the previous owner had set up. We don’t double wrap because it adds too much friction and makes it imposable to lower the little ones (we did try it for a few weeks and then switched back).

thanx a lot, thats exactly what i was looking for. me and my friend are going to weld all the structure (we already did a lot of mods since he bought it, including overhangs and a roof), so, making those will be no issue... im sure i can get the materials almost for free, so that will be no problem.... did you sandwiched the wood between two metal plates?? i think we would do that, or weld the tube directly to the structure, to hold it securely in place....

rschap

Jul 10, 2011, 5:15 AM
Post #17 of 21 (18508 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunately my gym is all 2x6 framing so no. I nailed a 2X12 on the back side and bolted through with four ½” bolts.

I took the time to holesaw the side plates and corner to corner weld the pipe from the outside so the rope wouldn’t be running against the weld. I also put a slight bend, 5deg or so, on the top and bottom of the sides so the rope wouldnt run on the corner of the steel plate.

Attachments: IMG_6027.JPG (27.5 KB)
  IMG_6028.JPG (31.1 KB)

shu2kill

Jul 10, 2011, 5:42 AM
Post #18 of 21 (18500 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rschap] top rope hardware [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rschap wrote:
Unfortunately my gym is all 2x6 framing so no. I nailed a 2X12 on the back side and bolted through with four ½” bolts.

I took the time to holesaw the side plates and corner to corner weld the pipe from the outside so the rope wouldn’t be running against the weld. I also put a slight bend, 5deg or so, on the top and bottom of the sides so the rope wouldnt run on the corner of the steel plate.

thanx a lot for the info. we are building the structure using metal, not wood, so we can weld the tube directly to the main frame... and i have access to a tube bender, so i can bend it a little to keep the rope centered....

shu2kill

Jul 10, 2011, 5:49 AM
Post #19 of 21 (18499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

off topic, here's a wall i mounted for a local competition.... i know it doesnt matters, but just so you dont think im new at this, because i have seen sometimes people are reluctant to give advise to other people thinking they may not know what they are doing... i just wanted to know more options for topre roping hardware, since i have never seen another climbing gym besides my friend's....

shu2kill

Jan 15, 2012, 4:24 PM
Post #20 of 21 (17557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

here's what we ended up doing, almost finished... for the anchor we used 2 hangers and 2 quickdraws at each route, as you would find in an outdoor route, just without the chains... we will include chains to some routed to teach people how to clean an anchor...

(This post was edited by shu2kill on Jan 15, 2012, 4:29 PM)
Attachments: 04012012551.jpg (32.4 KB)
  04012012557.jpg (32.8 KB)

Urban_Cowboy

Jan 16, 2012, 12:48 AM
Post #21 of 21 (17502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shu2kill wrote:
here's what we ended up doing, almost finished... for the anchor we used 2 hangers and 2 quickdraws at each route, as you would find in an outdoor route, just without the chains... we will include chains to some routed to teach people how to clean an anchor...
There are anchors in these pictures?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook