RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

6pacfershur

Jun 29, 2011, 3:45 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1096 views)
Shortcut

moving to Utah?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

my girlfriend has her mind made up to move to the
Salt Lake City area this summer; good climbing and skiing; I have always heard the rumor that you won't get hired for a job there unless you are a member of the LDS church; she's a school teacher...........i'm not trying to be disrespectful and please forgive my ignorance, but is there any truth to this?

kennoyce

Jun 29, 2011, 3:57 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [6pacfershur] moving to Utah? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:
my girlfriend has her mind made up to move to the
Salt Lake City area this summer; good climbing and skiing; I have always heard the rumor that you won't get hired for a job there unless you are a member of the LDS church; she's a school teacher...........i'm not trying to be disrespectful and please forgive my ignorance, but is there any truth to this?

It's true, that's why salt lake city has an unemployment rate of 60%, only the 40% that are LDS have jobs.

poedoe

Jun 29, 2011, 4:16 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Of course it's true. We also don't hire people with disabilities, blacks (or other non white folk), and having blonde hair and blue eyes substantially increases your employment chances. Basically Utah is exempt from federal fair employment practices.

areyoumydude

Jun 29, 2011, 7:41 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ncrockclimber

Jun 29, 2011, 8:03 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will relate my experience. YMMV.

A Sr VP that I worked with took a job with a company in SLC. He was brought in by the Board of Directors, and the SLC employees had little input on him being hired for the job. Soon after moving there, he asked me to come out and interview for a position. I don't want to bore you with the details, but I was a perfect fit for the job and they needed my expertise badly. I could have done a lot for the company. However, all the interviews were very adversarial and the all the folks that I talked with made it clear that I was not wanted or needed there. I found out later that there was an LDS candidate that one of the other LDS managers wanted to hire. He was far less qualified, but eventually got the job.

I have since spoken at length with the Sr VP who took the job in SLC. His take is that there is a strong prejudice among mormon managers to hire other mormons. Although non-mormons (like him) sometimes get jobs in predominately mormon management teams, not being LDS is often seen as a negative and mormons are given preferential treatment by other mormons.

I do not see this as being any different than the "good old boy" networks that exist in many non-morman organizations. The difference is that it is really out in the open in SLC.

Again, I am just relating my experience and that of a professional associate. YMMV.

kennoyce

Jun 29, 2011, 8:31 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1026 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ncrockclimber] moving to Utah? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ncrockclimber wrote:
I will relate my experience. YMMV.

A Sr VP that I worked with took a job with a company in SLC. He was brought in by the Board of Directors, and the SLC employees had little input on him being hired for the job. Soon after moving there, he asked me to come out and interview for a position. I don't want to bore you with the details, but I was a perfect fit for the job and they needed my expertise badly. I could have done a lot for the company. However, all the interviews were very adversarial and the all the folks that I talked with made it clear that I was not wanted or needed there. I found out later that there was an LDS candidate that one of the other LDS managers wanted to hire. He was far less qualified, but eventually got the job.

I have since spoken at length with the Sr VP who took the job in SLC. His take is that there is a strong prejudice among mormon managers to hire other mormons. Although non-mormons (like him) sometimes get jobs in predominately mormon management teams, not being LDS is often seen as a negative and mormons are given preferential treatment by other mormons.

I do not see this as being any different than the "good old boy" networks that exist in many non-morman organizations. The difference is that it is really out in the open in SLC.

Again, I am just relating my experience and that of a professional associate. YMMV.

Here's my experience: I was living in SLC from the summer of 2007 to the summer of 2010. I had three different jobs in that time period. None of my managers were LDS, nor did they ask or care about my religious affiliations. I'm sure it is possible that some LDS managers would give preference to LDS people, but there are plenty of employers in SLC that simply won't care.

climbingtrash

Jun 29, 2011, 11:58 PM
Post #7 of 7 (996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just use the words "Flip, Heck, and Fetch" in place of other superlatives a lot and you'll fit in just fine. Wearing a white T-shirt as an undershirt helps too.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook