RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

RDouz

Jul 7, 2011, 2:31 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3325 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by RDouz
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

kachoong

Jul 7, 2011, 3:06 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3306 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RDouz] Road-Trip: Open for discussion. Please reply. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

RDouz wrote:
I am 51 and male. I hope 51 isn't a number that conjures up "over the hill" in the minds of the less than 51. There are exceptions to the rule.

I actually thought I would get a number of interested people, eager to travel the country doing classic routes.

I understand that there must be a "proof of ability evaluation" and a "compatibilty assessment" for both parties, but what else?

Expenses, I intend on traveling in my 2008 Rubicon. It is small but I recently bought Kargo Master Congo Cage Roof Rack which will hold a rack mounted weather-proof storage container. I don't expect the outlay to be much, especially if you are passionate about climbing.

I like sport, aid and trad. I also like to climb trees. I like gymnastics too. I also like to swim. Perhaps an open-idea road-trip is best, something that can be sculpted to meet the needs of each member.

Have the most fun possible while becoming better at climbing is a good concept. Please let me know what you think. What would you like to do and where would you like to go? Do you have a passport?

What you're thinking about is an admirable concept and whether you pull it off either alone or with others you will have a great time I'm sure. To be honest though, organizing to do such ventures with one or more climbers/people is a never-ending cluster, with problems increasing with number of people and time away.

Your best bet would be to make it a personal road-trip and contact/meet climbers along the way, climbing at "their" local or nearby crags, then moving on to another region or area. I've traveled a heap, both climbing and not, and found it most efficient when I was alone. Obviously it's nice to have company, and for climbing more often than not you need that partnership, but for everything else you will find you want to decide things on your own.

The whole "evaluation and compatibility" stage will occur naturally on your first few climbs, so don't worry to much about that. There'll also be plenty of climbers out there willing to part with tips and experience for you to learn from along the way.

Good luck!

RDouz

Jul 7, 2011, 3:50 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Road-Trip: Open for discussion. Please reply. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, I know there are climbers eager to get out there and train. Train in a way that everything else is set aside so that training comes first, at the best locations. I am just not reaching them. I understand that there are some social hurdles to overcome but these hurdles can be reduced by communication. Ultimately rock climbing is the focus. I am looking to find a climbing partner that will mutually etablish and accomplish goals. It truly is a mutually beneficial arrangement. I understand that traveling alone affords flexibility but obtaining new partners though interesting and rewarding (new insights) lacks the experiential momentum and the earned trust of a solid team member. I am looking for a climber with vision, someone that realizes the benefit of dedicated training. I know it will be fun but at the same time it requires significant discipline. I am happily married and going on a road-trip means time away from my Wife, things I could be doing with her. Thanks again, I really need the feedback.

gunkiemike

Jul 10, 2011, 2:10 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is this a "training" mission? Or are you going after "classic routes"? Cuz I see a bit of a conflict there.

I think for many serious climbers, "training" connotes structure and, perhaps, repetitive, less-than-classic climbing. No need to waste time and gas to visit various climbing areas if you're just doing circuits and ARCing.

OTOH, hitting up a few days' worth of classics at each of 5-10 really great climbing spots will surely boost your climbing abilities*. The new rock types, exposure to different techniques required, and just the volume of climbing you'll do all are good.

*At least until you get worn down (physically and/or mentally); I know I am never climbing well at the end an intense multi-day trip. But I tend to get mentally fatigued sooner than other climbers I hang with.

RDouz

Jul 11, 2011, 3:02 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3167 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Road-Trip: Open for discussion. Please reply. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You definitely have to know what your priorities are. There are many challenges, I agree, but the rewards can be great.

johnwesely

Jul 11, 2011, 3:39 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3159 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RDouz wrote:
You definitely have to know what your priorities are. There are many challenges, I agree, but the rewards can be great.

How can this not be enigma?

RDouz

Jul 11, 2011, 4:54 PM
Post #7 of 8 (3135 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Road-Trip: Open for discussion. Please reply. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What is your baseline comfort level? Are you willing to change this?

Ideally you need an open schedule. Given the knowledge that the timeline is more or less open-ended, many of the distractions disappear. You then can focus on optimizing results.

granite_grrl

Jul 12, 2011, 12:56 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Road-Trip: Open for discussion. Please reply. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
RDouz wrote:
I am 51 and male. I hope 51 isn't a number that conjures up "over the hill" in the minds of the less than 51. There are exceptions to the rule.

I actually thought I would get a number of interested people, eager to travel the country doing classic routes.

I understand that there must be a "proof of ability evaluation" and a "compatibilty assessment" for both parties, but what else?

Expenses, I intend on traveling in my 2008 Rubicon. It is small but I recently bought Kargo Master Congo Cage Roof Rack which will hold a rack mounted weather-proof storage container. I don't expect the outlay to be much, especially if you are passionate about climbing.

I like sport, aid and trad. I also like to climb trees. I like gymnastics too. I also like to swim. Perhaps an open-idea road-trip is best, something that can be sculpted to meet the needs of each member.

Have the most fun possible while becoming better at climbing is a good concept. Please let me know what you think. What would you like to do and where would you like to go? Do you have a passport?

What you're thinking about is an admirable concept and whether you pull it off either alone or with others you will have a great time I'm sure. To be honest though, organizing to do such ventures with one or more climbers/people is a never-ending cluster, with problems increasing with number of people and time away.

Your best bet would be to make it a personal road-trip and contact/meet climbers along the way, climbing at "their" local or nearby crags, then moving on to another region or area. I've traveled a heap, both climbing and not, and found it most efficient when I was alone. Obviously it's nice to have company, and for climbing more often than not you need that partnership, but for everything else you will find you want to decide things on your own.

The whole "evaluation and compatibility" stage will occur naturally on your first few climbs, so don't worry to much about that. There'll also be plenty of climbers out there willing to part with tips and experience for you to learn from along the way.

Good luck!
I once took a kid with me all the way from Nova Scotia to Texas....and then left him there when I went off on my own. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't....but it certainly won't work either person isn't flexible.

Likewise, it's pretty easy to get a vibe from people if they'll work with you as a climbing partner. You can get this pretty fast too.

Thirdly, if you're on an extended roadtrip you'll run into the same people over and over again. There's something of a road trip circuit in North America, people following the best conditions (especially through the winter where prime locations are more limited).

Finally, I think there are more 'kids' than mature people doing the road trip thing. Kids can be super cool to hang with and climb with, but I think the OP should be ready for the age gap.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook