RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

bhamel89

Jul 16, 2011, 5:20 PM
Post #1 of 8 (4792 views)
Shortcut

bringing a baby to crags. advice?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

my son is 2 months now and i am a first time mom. i haven't been getting out much and i'm dying to go bouldering outdoors (the hubby and i have been going indoors once in a while), but not sure how it would work.
In reply to:

i was thinking that i would be ok with him and i going and putting the baby in something close by while we spotted each other. at first i thought this was a bad idea (about no one constantly looking at the baby), but now i'm thinking it would probably be ok. i would absolutely have to have a 3rd person to be with baby at all times if we were rope climbing though. what are your opinions on this?

i also want something like a pack n play but like a bazillion times lighter and smaller that we can hike with and put the baby in while climbing and also use a bug net over. this would be sooo helpful! any suggestions?

your help is much appreciated!

smallclimber

Jul 16, 2011, 9:52 PM
Post #2 of 8 (4779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bhamel89] bringing a baby to crags. advice? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can you get a stroller in to where you want to go? If so just bring the stroller in with you. At 2 months your son will still sleep a fair bit of the time and enjoy watching the movement when he's awake. It's probably easier to do at this age then when he starts crawling/walking. I can't even sit in the garden for 10 mins with my 11 month old as now she can move, she is continually getting into trouble, mostly by trying to eat acorns.

lena_chita

Jul 17, 2011, 12:22 AM
Post #3 of 8 (4773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Try a small play tent instead of a playpen. Inexpensive, lightwieght, folds small, and can be zipped up to keep the bugs out. Pad the bottom with a blanket, and you are good to go.

Something like this: http://www.google.com/...amp;ved=0CGoQ8wIwAA#

Obviously, you want to make sure that it is located on a good level spot, away from climbers, falling rocks, charging dogs, etc.

Kartessa

Jul 17, 2011, 3:32 AM
Post #4 of 8 (4759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you really want something light (5lbs) and bugproof to keep them in, check out:
http://www.mec.ca/..._id=2534374302885211

clee03m

Jul 18, 2011, 9:23 PM
Post #5 of 8 (4703 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have couple things going for you. You want to boulder. This is huge. It is sooo much easier to boulder with a baby. Unless you really need to spot each other, one person entertaines, one person climbs. Otherwise recruit another boulderer to come with you. There is less gear to carry. And no need to worry about gear/rock fall.

Your baby is 2 months old. Being that he is not mobile, you can pretty much park him and climb. Couple options are what people already mentioned. Strollar works well if the trail is good. But at 2 months I would be kind of worried about taking a kiddo on a trail without an infant car seat attachment in a strollar. Other option is baby carrier and have tent or crib. I have Phil and Ted travel crib (7lb).

It is hard climbing with a kiddo, but you can do it! Make sure you are well hydrated if you are breastfeeding. That is such an exciting time. Good luck to you! I have a 16 month old. So pm me if you want anytime!

bhamel89

Jul 19, 2011, 4:31 AM
Post #6 of 8 (4677 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] bringing a baby to crags. advice? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks everyone! it's really great to have your support, encouragement and words of advice. sometimes i feel like i'll never be able to climb outside again. today at the gym i go to my hubby and i were invited bouldering the first time since baby came by a prepregnancy climbing friend but he said not to take the baby because we'd be worried about him the whole time etc etc (pretty much because he'd be affected). well that won't be happening anytime soon since he won't eat from a bottle! i wish you ladies lived closer!

lena_chita

Jul 19, 2011, 2:52 PM
Post #7 of 8 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not every climber is going to be overjoyed by the idea of you bringing the baby along. That is just the fact of life. Not everyone likes kids, dogs, strong deodorants, hammocks, music, and so on, and so forth-- pick any random thing, and there are people out there who would have nothing to do with it.

The concerns that this person expressed to you are legitimate. It could be that this is just reluctance because he is not used to the idea of having a baby along, so the difficulties are magnified in his mind. Maybe he used to have an extremely cranky baby sister... or maybe he had a bad experience with a screaming baby at the crag... or had to deal with unruly toddlers who were jumping on the pad while he climbed...

Regardless, it is a valid concern that you do need to adress, so when he raises those questions, explain how you are going to deal with these things, instead of just being indignant at his selfishness and self-absorbtion. He is not the child's parent, he doesn't have to tolerate the kid, if he doesn't want to. You are the one who wants to bring the child along, so you have to make reasonably sure it doesn't affect other people's climbing experience much. It WILL affect yours, but you are presumably prepared for it.

Maybe if you go a couple of times he will see that having a baby along is not that big a deal, in terms of how it affects him. Or maybe you would have to resign yourself to not climbing with this person until you are able to go without your baby.
There are definitely climbing partners of mine who are available for climbing when I go without the kids, but find excuses when I do have kids along. It is what it is.

Keep going when you can, don't forget that baby's safety and comfort ARE your priority and your job, not your climbing buddies' job, keep looking for partners who are comfortable with having a baby along, keep looking for other climbing families. They are out there, you'll find them.

klopik

Jul 19, 2011, 6:06 PM
Post #8 of 8 (4651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We have been taking ours since he was 6 weeks. Until about 4-5 months it works great - they are not mobile, so you just park him somewhere in the shade, in a comfortable spot where you can see him at all times and go at it. He will sleep more then not in any case and you will have a great time. If he is breastfed it makes it that much easier. Just make sure to drink enough.
We would put him in his little baby gym, with a muslin swaddle cloth on top to protect from the sun and dust. We also never had anyone complain, ever.
When he got older, we required 3 people to do anything - one climbs, one belays/spots and one watches the baby. But we have plenty of friends who are more then happy to play with our baby for 10-15 min at a time.
Now that we have a 16 month old toddler things got a bit more difficult :) But still doable - just took him bouldering with us over the weekend, 3 people. I didn't get to boulder all that much, because he wanted to play with Mommy, but I got quiet a work out scrambling around the rocks with him.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook