Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 19, 2011, 11:59 PM
Post #26 of 108 (4926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Speed4TheNeed] Being sponsored (24 female) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

To the Op - May I ask your reasons for wishing to be sponsored?

ceebo

Jul 20, 2011, 12:13 AM
Post #27 of 108 (4921 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Being sponsored (24 female) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
To the Op - May I ask your reasons for wishing to be sponsored?

That's a stone through away from asking why somebody went to a free prize draw. Crazy

ensonik

Jul 20, 2011, 12:16 AM
Post #28 of 108 (4915 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Being sponsored (24 female) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
Ok, double or squits.

Do you look at the toilet roll after you've wiped your arse?.

One word: What. The. Fuck.

ceebo

Jul 20, 2011, 12:20 AM
Post #29 of 108 (4911 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ensonik] Being sponsored (24 female) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

ensonik wrote:
ceebo wrote:
Ok, double or squits.

So wich of the 3 would you like to roll with?.. or was it multiple choice on my part. I'll go with WHAT?.

saint_john

Jul 20, 2011, 2:03 AM
Post #30 of 108 (4877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm shocked that the op hasn't been flamed straight to hell. has rc.com gotten soft?

Colinhoglund

Jul 20, 2011, 3:00 AM
Post #31 of 108 (4853 views)
Shortcut

Re: [callie104] Being sponsored (24 female) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Words to live by.

"The best climber in the world is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

I climb because I love it, at any grade. I also instruct climbing because I love sharing climbing with others. Even in hockey, baseball etc, the goal of participating is to have fun. Just because some people get paid millions to play their game does not mean that this is the end of being good at your game. Which brings me to another point. Climbing is a lifestyle, not a sport. I plan to climb all my life. Become great at climbing and have tones of fun, everything else is a bonus.

superchuffer

Jul 20, 2011, 3:10 AM
Post #32 of 108 (4849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ok, double or squits.

So wich of the 3 would you like to roll with?.. or was it multiple choice on my part. I'll go with WHAT?.

I would answer you, but i don't want to be the star of your sick fantasy. perhaps your longings could be better explored through this site:

http://www.spreadingsantorum.com/

(This post was edited by superchuffer on Jul 20, 2011, 3:10 AM)

superchuffer

Jul 20, 2011, 3:13 AM
Post #33 of 108 (4846 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] Being sponsored (24 female) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i'm shocked that the op hasn't been flamed straight to hell. has rc.com gotten soft?

it seems like an innocent post, and it is a young female climber. a committed female climber could leave a santorum on my desk and i wouldn't blink an eye.

flyslasher

Jul 20, 2011, 7:12 AM
Post #34 of 108 (4801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think one of the most important things you can do is get known within your local climbing community! Also build a repertoire of climbs you have built and maybe get to know some of the top guys which are already at the level of famous :D

tscampbell

Jul 20, 2011, 8:22 AM
Post #35 of 108 (4791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

climb simply to climb, any special benefits will make themselves known if you hold the right passion for the sport. climbing a rock is nothing more than a battle between you and geology, as it should stay. I'm not saying you can't make a living doing it or get famous, but all that's useless if you do it for the wrong reasons. My advice would be compete if you want to, climb everything you can, but keep it pure, like the sport you love.

callie104

Jul 20, 2011, 1:51 PM
Post #36 of 108 (4735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Climbing is a male-dominated sport, and I think the main reason I want to become good enough to be sponsored is just that - *to be good enough* to be sponsored. It's inspiring as hell for me to see badass chick climbers, but they're not nearly as common as strong male climbers.

I don't want to be famous, but it'd be cool to be featured in a video climbing a 5.14, just because you don't see that very often from women.

I climb solely because I love to climb and I love to push myself. Every single time I spend a day outside working routes harder than I'm capable of, I think to myself, "Why the fuck do I do this???" And then I laugh at myself, because I really don't know. I just love it.

If people want to roast me for asking a question like this, go for it. The anonymity of the internet that gives people the guts to say things to others they would never dream of saying in real life does not deter me from those who are actually helpful - and thanks to everyone who was! :)

JoeHamilton

Jul 20, 2011, 1:56 PM
Post #37 of 108 (4730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

funny thought there .there is a saying that goes something like,"climb like a girl "meaning use your legs and feet . As a male I find I watch the technique in female climbers more then the males who like to campus and muscle there way up the route .

lena_chita

Jul 20, 2011, 2:12 PM
Post #38 of 108 (4715 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

callie104 wrote:
Climbing is a male-dominated sport, and I think the main reason I want to become good enough to be sponsored is just that - *to be good enough* to be sponsored. It's inspiring as hell for me to see badass chick climbers, but they're not nearly as common as strong male climbers.

I don't want to be famous, but it'd be cool to be featured in a video climbing a 5.14, just because you don't see that very often from women.

But this is not what you asked initially...

Yes, it would be cool to be featured in a video climbing 5.14. And yes, it would be cool if more women were climbing hard.

So, if your goal is to become "good enough to be sponsored", read books that tell you how to train smart, climb a lot, get a coach, if you can find one and can afford one, and send that 5.14, if you can.
And then talk about it.

Otherwise, you had plenty of spot-on advice on how to get free shoes and pictures in magazines.

ceebo

Jul 20, 2011, 2:39 PM
Post #39 of 108 (4697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

callie104 wrote:

I climb solely because I love to climb and I love to push myself. Every single time I spend a day outside working routes harder than I'm capable of, I think to myself, "Why the fuck do I do this???" And then I laugh at myself, because I really don't know. I just love it.

If people want to roast me for asking a question like this, go for it. The anonymity of the internet that gives people the guts to say things to others they would never dream of saying in real life does not deter me from those who are actually helpful - and thanks to everyone who was! :)

I don't think you quite appreciate what is required to climb 5.14. Im not trying to put you off.. but don't go into it thinking your ''special'' and it will get handed to you. Chances are you will probably realise by the late .12's the sacrifice needed to achieve such high ambition.

You will have to start cutting off your social life.. stop the booze week ends. Eat right, train ALLOT.. spend lots of money on shoes (the climbing type).. not have kids (or accept a automatic 10 month to a year loss of training) and the list goes on. Even after all that.. you may get stuff wrong and end up in plateaus and even get injured. Any of those can set you back for 6 month to countless years.

Then their is the issue of rock, if you are lucky you may live next door lots of .12's .13s and .14s. Most likely not.. so then add the travel time. Can you just take off for weeks at a time when you please?.. or do you think you can just go send a .14 in 1 week end?.

trenchdigger

Jul 20, 2011, 3:41 PM
Post #40 of 108 (4658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

callie104 wrote:

What do youthink makes someone *good enough* to be sponsored?

Let's step back and look at the big picture for a minute. Why do companies sponsor climbers in the first place?

A sponsored climber is nothing more than a paid representative for a company. Their job is to sell the company image and promote their products. They are generally well connected, appreciated and respected in the climbing community. While climbing hard can help gain the notoriety needed, there's much more to it than that.

The climbing industry is small and only a select few are able to make what amounts to a relatively meager living off of their climbing habit. Many people, however, get a lower level of "sponsorship", earning deals on gear by becoming outdoor industry professionals in the form of climbing guides, gear shop employees, or volunteer SAR members.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 20, 2011, 5:51 PM
Post #41 of 108 (4606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] Being sponsored (24 female) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Being a climber who will never be able to lead 5.14(hell, I will be lucky if I ever lead 5.9), I can't begin to imagine what a 5.14 leader looks like(also that I am not really familiar with sport climbing; I forget that the realm of 5.14 is mostly relegated to sport).

But.... Here is a pretty nice video featuring female sponsored climbers. Madeline Sorkin leading Pewrsistence(5.11d) at the Gunks, filmed by Liz Skully.

https://www.youtube.com/...ture=player_embedded

I happened to be climbing(errr, more like belaying) with a friend on the day these ladies did this route. I never would have guess this level of bad-assedness was going down around the corner. The two women sat and talked to us while we were doing some routes and then later my friend TR'd on 2 routes they had led.

Guess what? No creepy faux-tographer shooting cleavage and butt shots. No discussions of "Will this sport tank give me more exposure or this one?"

It surprises me that when n00bie guys come on rc.com and ask for "how can I be sponsored" beta they may get a good smackdown, but they DON'T get told they need to be pretty, show skin and sleep their way through.

There ARE plenty of women climbers who are sponsored out there. I've met a few and so far almost exclusively they have been the type of climber I admire - down to earth, have a good sense of self and sense of humor about life, willing to dedicate to goals and enjoy sharing their experience.

And, FWIT, I was told that a pretty big manufacturer, with quite a stable of sponsored climbers(male and female) pays but a single ONE of those climbers actual money. They all get free gear(or maybe pro-deals for some of the beginner ones) - but free gear don't pay the rent(unless one sells those ropes and shoes, I suppose....).

So - I believe it is true for nearly all sponsored climbers that they are going to need to be able to support themselves in a way other than being sponsored. Add that little dilemma to finding the time to do the sort of climbing that gets you sponsored and the route to sponsorship becomes a sustained one instead of being a one-move wonder!

Still - to the OP: Good luck with your quest in climbing. Remember, as Jeff Lowe said: "The best climber in the world is the one having the most fun."

redonkulus

Jul 20, 2011, 7:03 PM
Post #42 of 108 (4567 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

callie104 wrote:
Hi,
I'm incredibly impressed with myself

We can tell.

Really though, if you really just do love climbing so much that you want to get good at it, that's a great motivation. If you want to be known, be famous, get free stuff, whatever, that's probably not as good a motivation. Look up intrinsic vs. extrinsic motivation, those that are motivated by fame, rewards, stuff like that rarely do as well as those that just love what they are doing and are motivated to try harder because of it.

If you really just wanna get sponsored, I'm sure there are tons of people who have sponsorships who don't deserve it. They just brownnose, overhype themselves, and ironically probably provide the exact opposite image that a company may want to display. In my mind, I'm much more likely to be influenced by a really chill, confident, helpful climber who climbs pretty hard, than by an arrogant douchebag that climbs really hard.

As far as age goes, it seems like most of the best climbers in the world right now are in their early 20's, and have been climbing for probably 10 years or more. There are a few climbers still going strong at 30 (Sharma, Joe Kinder, those types), but I'd say that by 35, with some exceptions, it might be a downhill slope, or at least a permanent plateau. If you really wanna be climbing .14's, you've got a hell of a lot of time to make up.

Best of luck, and I hope you know for sure why you climb, and why you want to get better. Keep on training.

Learner

Jul 20, 2011, 7:12 PM
Post #43 of 108 (4559 views)
Shortcut

Why not become famous? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

callie104 wrote:

If you don't have it yet, you would like the new all-female climbing video, "Fanatic Search 2: A Girl Thing...":

http://www.sportsflicks.com/...-Girl-Thing-DVD.html

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqTx1tsd-OY

"A 90-minute film that tells in 7 chapters the stages that mark the life of top fanatical climbers from around the world. Women from all generations, from nine-year-old Brooke Raboutou to fifty-year-old Lynn Hill, are captured in this documentary that allows viewers to appreciate how the passion of climbers evolves through time. See the beautiful achievements of these top athletes as they display the best of their talents....and Chris Sharma talks about making babies.

-Brooke Raboutou/Erbesfield climbs Big Bang, her second 7c+ at 9 years old.
-Charlotte Durif on her best achievement, the first female 8c onsight.
-Nina Caprez sending 5 pitch route Ultime Demence, 8a+ in Verdon Gorge
-Daila Ojeda climbs her first 8c, Fish Eye in Oliana, Spain.
-Pati Blasco, Mariona Marti, and Berta Martin show us how you can stay a fanatic and be a mother, in Spanish areas like Albaracin, Cuenca, Montsant, and Arboli
-Robyn Raboutou/Erbesfield shares her life with her fanatic kids.
-Lynn Hill demonstrates her veteran skills at the Petzl Roc Trip."

(This post was edited by Learner on Jul 20, 2011, 7:18 PM)

johnwesely

Jul 20, 2011, 9:13 PM
Post #44 of 108 (4496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:

But.... Here is a pretty nice video featuring female sponsored climbers. Madeline Sorkin leading Pewrsistence(5.11d) at the Gunks, filmed by Liz Skully.

She totally cheated by not pulling the roof at the start. That is the hardest part.

(This post was edited by johnwesely on Jul 20, 2011, 9:14 PM)

tscampbell

Jul 20, 2011, 9:38 PM
Post #45 of 108 (4483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tscampbell] Being sponsored (24 female) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yeah, if i get to come stateside this fall/winter, i wanna go to hp40!

gunkiemike

Jul 20, 2011, 11:50 PM
Post #46 of 108 (4428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
It surprises me that when n00bie guys come on rc.com and ask for "how can I be sponsored" beta they may get a good smackdown, but they DON'T get told they need to be pretty, show skin and sleep their way through.

I missed the post in this thread where anyone suggested the OP be pretty, show skin, and/or sleep in any particular fashion. (Seriously, did someone suggest that?)

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 21, 2011, 12:09 AM
Post #47 of 108 (4418 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Being sponsored (24 female) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
I missed the post in this thread where anyone suggested the OP be pretty, show skin, and/or sleep in any particular fashion. (Seriously, did someone suggest that?)

Here are excerpts, from this thread, Mike.
Post # 3
In reply to:
So to sum it up: if you are not going to climb something like equilibrium clothed in nothing more than a thong, you are not going to get sponsored.

Post # 4
In reply to:
go to hueco rock ranch and sleep with everyone you can.

Post # 9
In reply to:
I can't believe nobody has mentioned sleeping with a climbing photographer yet. That seems to be one of the quickest paths to fame for average climbing women.

Post # 11(upon agreeing with post #9)
In reply to:
You will have to begin by presenting him with your body of work, your "assets," if you will. Keep him abreast of your development, and don't be afraid to bare your soul for the camera. He might ask you penetrating questions, and want to pump you for detailed information, to which you must acquiesce.

While it is true that some of these posts are made in jest, they do have a certain tome to them, one which a male climber would never be subjected to.

sungam

Jul 21, 2011, 12:15 AM
Post #48 of 108 (4413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
While it is true that some of these posts are made in jest, they do have a certain tome to them, one which a male climber would never be subjected to.
"Subjected to"? Are you kidding me? I think the phrase your looking for is "Unfortunately these tactics don't really work for guys, so no one really jokes about it".

I wish showing off my goods would get me a set of petzl draws! All I got was chased around the Ouray Ice Fest swimsuit party by the cops Unsure

damienclimber

Jul 21, 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #49 of 108 (4395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

callie104 wrote:

Base jumping may get you sponsored- jest sayin!

Speed4TheNeed

Jul 21, 2011, 3:20 AM
Post #50 of 108 (4350 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Being sponsored (24 female) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:
"Subjected to"? Are you kidding me? I think the phrase your looking for is "Unfortunately these tactics don't really work for guys, so no one really jokes about it".

I wish showing off my goods would get me a set of petzl draws! All I got was chased around the Ouray Ice Fest swimsuit party by the cops Unsure

I'd LOVE to be "subjected to" excess attention, free meals, and my door opened up for me everywhere I go.

Yes, that was sarcastically one sided, but it was better than admitting I love not having to be prodded about weight, making sure my makeup isn't running, and some other feminine "negatives." ;)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook