Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

adelphos

Jul 29, 2011, 12:33 AM
Post #1 of 49 (9049 views)
Shortcut

How should one respond to this???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

So my wife and I are climbing this weekend. I'm on belay and she has just clipped into the anchors at the top of a 5.9, 20 meters or so up. While she is pulling through the rope, a quick-draw falls off of her harness.

I see the whole thing and immediately yell, ROCK! It hits the wall and goes spinning towards a couple next to us who are tying on shoes and just kind of stumbling in prep to start an adjacent route.

I continuing to yell in their direction now, and they are oblivious. Then I'm waving at them, while I'm yelling. Still they are in lala land. Finally I watch helplessly as the guy gets a solid whack on the shoulder from the clip.

So, my wife see what happened and apologizes from up the wall, says it won't happen again. I apologize as well and the guy comes back with a kind of rude comment.

How would you respond?

acorneau

Jul 29, 2011, 12:37 AM
Post #2 of 49 (9037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adelphos] How should one respond to this??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

adelphos wrote:
So my wife and I are climbing this weekend. I'm on belay and she has just clipped into the anchors at the top of a 5.9, 20 meters or so up. While she is pulling through the rope, a quick-draw falls off of her harness.

I see the whole thing and immediately yell, ROCK! It hits the wall and goes spinning towards a couple next to us who are tying on shoes and just kind of stumbling in prep to start an adjacent route.

I continuing to yell in their direction now, and they are oblivious. Then I'm waving at them, while I'm yelling. Still they are in lala land. Finally I watch helplessly as the guy gets a solid whack on the shoulder from the clip.

So, my wife see what happened and apologizes from up the wall, says it won't happen again. I apologize as well and the guy comes back with a kind of rude comment.

How would you respond?

You gave the warning of a falling object, he (seemingly) ignored that warning. His loss.

swoopee

Jul 29, 2011, 12:41 AM
Post #3 of 49 (9027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You really did all you could do, well other than your wife not dropping the quickdraw in the first place. Don't worry about it. The other guy's a jerk. Next time she could try aiming for his head. Wink

adelphos

Jul 29, 2011, 12:47 AM
Post #4 of 49 (9013 views)
Shortcut

Re: [swoopee] How should one respond to this??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

LOL, that's kind of what I figured, but just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed some kind of climbing law. I'd just hate to think what would have happened if she pulled off a flake like I had nearly done earlier in the day.

6pacfershur

Jul 29, 2011, 12:49 AM
Post #5 of 49 (9009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this didnt happen at Metcalfe, did it?

tory_c89

Jul 29, 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #6 of 49 (9009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OOPS SORRY

adelphos

Jul 29, 2011, 12:57 AM
Post #7 of 49 (8998 views)
Shortcut

Re: [6pacfershur] How should one respond to this??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope, not sure where Metcalfe is. We were at a wall at exit 38 in Washington state.

wonderwoman

Jul 29, 2011, 2:26 AM
Post #8 of 49 (8946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adelphos wrote:

How would you respond?

I wouldn't respond. You did all that you could, but you cannot control the inappropriate reactions of others.

moose_droppings

Jul 29, 2011, 3:07 AM
Post #9 of 49 (8924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adelphos wrote:
So my wife and I are climbing this weekend. I'm on belay belaying and she has just clipped into the anchors at the top of a 5.9, 20 meters or so up. While she is pulling through the rope, a quick-draw falls off of her harness.

How would you respond?

You can only do so much.

JoeHamilton

Jul 29, 2011, 3:50 AM
Post #10 of 49 (8893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] How should one respond to this??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think you did the best you could.

And if someone here tells you to cut their top rope don't listen, its the lack of bacon.Angelic

Kartessa

Jul 29, 2011, 3:55 AM
Post #11 of 49 (8887 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JoeHamilton] How should one respond to this??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
I think you did the best you could.

And if someone here tells you to cut their top rope don't listen, its the lack of bacon.Angelic

Stop talkin, start cuttin.

Kartessa

Jul 29, 2011, 3:56 AM
Post #12 of 49 (8883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [6pacfershur] How should one respond to this??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:
this didnt happen at Metcalfe, did it?

Ya know what's funny?

The mention of a loose flake made me think of Metcalfe... Well, maybe not, more like Nemo Tongue

Where you from dude?

adelphos

Jul 29, 2011, 4:28 AM
Post #13 of 49 (8857 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] How should one respond to this??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm from Washington state, well I've been out here since '96 so that's long enough. We have a lot of granite and the area we were climbing in had some nice flakes to grab on but some were a little loose.

blueeyedclimber

Jul 29, 2011, 12:14 PM
Post #14 of 49 (8766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

adelphos wrote:

Is it me, or does it seem like the quickdraw took an abnormal amount of time to come down?

Josh

boymeetsrock

Jul 29, 2011, 1:33 PM
Post #15 of 49 (8713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] How should one respond to this??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
adelphos wrote:

Is it me, or does it seem like the quickdraw took an abnormal amount of time to come down?

Josh

They use WC Helium draws.

boymeetsrock

Jul 29, 2011, 1:35 PM
Post #16 of 49 (8710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

swoopee wrote:
You really did all you could do, well other than your wife not dropping the quickdraw in the first place. Don't worry about it. The other guy's a jerk. Next time she could try aiming for his head. Wink

Agreed, although I don't know if I'd call the guy a jerk. OP said it was a 'kind of rude' comment. If I just got bonked by a falling draw, I might feel 'kind of rude' for a few minutes.

sungam

Jul 29, 2011, 2:12 PM
Post #17 of 49 (8677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

"Could you pass me that draw, bro?"

Ryan_moore

Jul 29, 2011, 2:14 PM
Post #18 of 49 (8675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would respond: hey shut the fuck up i just gave you a free quick draw!

JoeHamilton

Jul 29, 2011, 2:20 PM
Post #19 of 49 (8667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ryan_moore] How should one respond to this??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ryan_moore wrote:

Filed in my memory incase I'm ever in that situation

sungam

Jul 29, 2011, 2:39 PM
Post #20 of 49 (8647 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ryan_moore] How should one respond to this??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ryan_moore wrote:
You would let him keep the draw? Fuck that! I'd charge him for the lesson - Pay attention to what's above you and react when you head "Rock!" or "Below!".

Kartessa

Jul 29, 2011, 3:30 PM
Post #21 of 49 (8612 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] How should one respond to this??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd like to know how far over these guys were from you, that they couldn't hear you and how wandering your route was to have your climber above them and you so far. I mean if you were climbing a sport route, how far can it trend?

This whole story confuses me.

adelphos

Jul 29, 2011, 3:54 PM
Post #22 of 49 (8587 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] How should one respond to this??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They were pretty close, close enough that I could almost reach out and touch them. It seemed to take forever for the thing to hit the ground. It would have dropped in front of me, but it slammed into the rock about half way down and that just spun it in the direction.

The thing that irked me most was just that they were so oblivious to what was going on around them. Usually when some starts yelling at the rock, everyone starts looking. Like I said earlier, what if it had really been a rock?

We didn't want to give away the quick-draw as we figured with a hit like that it should be retired.

ChalkIsCheap

Jul 29, 2011, 4:06 PM
Post #23 of 49 (8572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adelphos wrote:
They were pretty close, close enough that I could almost reach out and touch them. It seemed to take forever for the thing to hit the ground. It would have dropped in front of me, but it slammed into the rock about half way down and that just spun it in the direction.

The thing that irked me most was just that they were so oblivious to what was going on around them. Usually when some starts yelling at the rock, everyone starts looking. Like I said earlier, what if it had really been a rock?

We didn't want to give away the quick-draw as we figured with a hit like that it should be retired.
Maybe if it it hit a hard rock, but it hit a soft shoulder. Not sure about the wall hit, but if you are still feeling unsure then send it to me and i'll inspect it for ya.

JoeHamilton

Jul 29, 2011, 4:55 PM
Post #24 of 49 (8520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adelphos, read dropped my atc . Lol, that draw might be totally fine.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 29, 2011, 5:28 PM
Post #25 of 49 (8486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JoeHamilton] How should one respond to this??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After you had yelled "rock" a couple times and seen no response, you should have yelled "Hey ASSHOLE! ROCK!"

Pretty sure he definitely would have heard the "asshole," but whether you would have then had enough time to clarify why you had simply wanted to get his attention, I cannot say. At any rate - the guy probably would have launched toward you, with his partner dragged alongside trying to hold him back as he came to kick your ass. Either way - they probably wouldn't have gotten clipped by the clippy thingie.

Catastrophe averted!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook