RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Algoessailing

Aug 1, 2011, 12:37 PM
Post #1 of 13 (14487 views)
Shortcut

Why are chalk bags fleece lined?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I did some searching and couldn't find any answers. I know some are rip stop and fleece but most seem to be just fleece. Ive been making my own gear for other sports for 20 years so I figure a chalk bag should be easy enough (lots of post about it in this forum.) So, why are chalk bags fleece lined?

cornstateclimber

Aug 1, 2011, 1:07 PM
Post #2 of 13 (14469 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Algoessailing] Why are chalk bags fleece lined? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i would assume the fleecy mnaterial would hold chalk dust better, not only to cover the hands, but maybe to keep it from falling out easier too. or so it could double as a hand warmer:)

KestrelLowing

Aug 2, 2011, 1:10 PM
Post #3 of 13 (14314 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The longer your nap (the part that sticks up from the backbone of the material), the more chalk dust stays in the bag - especially when you just thrust your hand in the bag. I think it may be more important if you're using loose chalk than if you're using a chalk ball, but I've always used chalk balls as that's what my gym allows so I'm not positive.

When I made my chalk bag, I actually got really lucky and found a kit at Walmart that was supposed to be for making your own purse (that kind of looked like Ugg boots). It was on clearance and it works really well.

darkgift06

Aug 2, 2011, 3:37 PM
Post #4 of 13 (14279 views)
Shortcut

Re: [KestrelLowing] Why are chalk bags fleece lined? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm using a purple velvet bag from a 26er of crown royal.

Algoessailing

Aug 2, 2011, 4:15 PM
Post #5 of 13 (14253 views)
Shortcut

Re: [KestrelLowing] Why are chalk bags fleece lined? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Then i guess the upper part of the bag would be best if it was made with a long nap material like faux fur?

KestrelLowing

Aug 2, 2011, 5:35 PM
Post #6 of 13 (14209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only problem with doing that is that high nap fabric (like faux fur or fleece) is usually less robust so if you make your drawstring portion out of that, you'll probably have a chalkbag that won't last terribly long.

Also, depending on the fabric, it may not cinch down very well and you'll have chalk leaking all over. (I don't actually like the cinching capabilities of ripstop, so I decided to use a thick cotton quilting fabric I had lying around, but that's just personal preference)

Another thing about faux fur - it usually doesn't have a very tight-woven base, so it could let a lot of chalk in-between the lining and the exterior. I don't think that would be a problem, but it could get a little annoying if you can't access that last bit of chalk. If you go for more of a fleece (Not like your standard polar fleece jacket, but more like those stupid Ugg boots that have the white fur-ish part showing or stuff that often lines hunting/sherpa hats) it will probably have a better backing.

You can also use polar fleece, but it won't be quite as effective in keeping the chalk dust in your bag when your chalkbag isn't perfectly vertical.

(This post was edited by KestrelLowing on Aug 2, 2011, 5:36 PM)

jonfretz

Aug 3, 2011, 4:14 PM
Post #7 of 13 (14100 views)
Shortcut

Re: [darkgift06] Why are chalk bags fleece lined? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

darkgift06 wrote:

You are now my hero. That is awesome. Cool

technogeekery

Aug 4, 2011, 5:04 PM
Post #8 of 13 (13994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It means you can use it as an emergency bivvy-bag for your fingers. Can't tell you how many times I've dropped my gloves in the Himalayas and have had my fingers saved by having a big fleecy chalkbag.

gunkiemike

Aug 8, 2011, 12:45 AM
Post #9 of 13 (13829 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jonfretz] Why are chalk bags fleece lined? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jonfretz wrote:
darkgift06 wrote:

You are now my hero. That is awesome. Cool

Made to order in 2 sizes (fingers and hands). Fully lined with chalk-proof nylon AND fleece.

Operators are standing by. $15 plus shipping.

tugboat

Aug 13, 2011, 11:11 PM
Post #10 of 13 (13646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Algoessailing wrote:
I did some searching and couldn't find any answers. I know some are rip stop and fleece but most seem to be just fleece. Ive been making my own gear for other sports for 20 years so I figure a chalk bag should be easy enough (lots of post about it in this forum.) So, why are chalk bags fleece lined?

Its a commercial conspiracy: the fleece makes your hands sweat which makes you buy more chalk,...Tongue

(This post was edited by tugboat on Aug 13, 2011, 11:15 PM)

superchuffer

Aug 14, 2011, 2:37 AM
Post #11 of 13 (13596 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

they are fleece lined because it simulates the feel of sheep, the lonely western dirtbag climber's best friend with benefits.

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 14, 2011, 9:14 PM
Post #12 of 13 (13537 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superchuffer] Why are chalk bags fleece lined? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had fleece-lined and flannel-lined. Since I use a chalkball, they both work fine. But I think for loose chalk, the fleece pile does help to coat the fingers and palms a better as it creates a more dispersed powder.

I started to make chalkbags a few months ago, and have been told that the "trick" to keeping the chalk IN the chalkbag is actually by having the center part of bag being very flexible instead of stiff.

The bottom should have some structyre, and the top should as well(I add boning inside the top collar. The collar material with the stiched seams also adds struture.)

Most commercial bags have the webbing top collar, which adds structure, but if the body is too rigid, then chalk will spill out when a person is sitting down(putting on shoes, belaying), because the bag tips over instead of collapsing into itself(which it will do if it has the softer center area).

Algoessailing

Aug 16, 2011, 1:42 AM
Post #13 of 13 (13454 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Why are chalk bags fleece lined? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

for simplicity, I opted for canvas outside and fleece inside, except for the ripstop cinch part. It stands well on its own and functions great for the price: made completely out of scraps. Some day I'll try a $40 bag just to see if it is worth the investment.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook