Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

joemac3

Aug 1, 2011, 6:07 PM
Post #1 of 30 (6866 views)
Shortcut

Rope Bag Woes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am not sure if this is the proper forum, if it isn't let me know and I will post it in the proper one…

I have a rope bag but for the life of me can not get the rope coiled properly in it to allow me to clip the center into my safety and toss the rope (still in the bag) to the bottom and have it uncoil properly. It almost always ends up half way down and all the rope comes out of the bag (I do remember to tie the end of the rope to the bag) and the rope is tangled up or the rope stays in the bag because the tangle is too large to get through the opening (when I tighten the opening up a bit) How do you properly coil a rope in the bag to allow for a nice uncoiling while still protecting the rope in the bag. Thank you all for your advice.

gmggg

Aug 1, 2011, 6:10 PM
Post #2 of 30 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joemac3] Rope Bag Woes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

joemac3 wrote:
I am not sure if this is the proper forum, if it isn't let me know and I will post it in the proper one…

I have a rope bag but for the life of me can not get the rope coiled properly in it to allow me to clip the center into my safety and toss the rope (still in the bag) to the bottom and have it uncoil properly. It almost always ends up half way down and all the rope comes out of the bag (I do remember to tie the end of the rope to the bag) and the rope is tangled up or the rope stays in the bag because the tangle is too large to get through the opening (when I tighten the opening up a bit) How do you properly coil a rope in the bag to allow for a nice uncoiling while still protecting the rope in the bag. Thank you all for your advice.

The first step is to not sport rappel.

Step two is to not sport rappel.

joemac3

Aug 1, 2011, 6:27 PM
Post #3 of 30 (6835 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Rope Bag Woes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
joemac3 wrote:

I don't sport rappel. It is for when I set up a top rope (I take friends/family climbing and they aren't able to lead)I also sometimes enjoy climbing in a large group and teach the rock climbing merit badge for my old boy scout troop.

caughtinside

Aug 1, 2011, 6:33 PM
Post #4 of 30 (6831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well then do like everyone else does and take the rope out of the bag before you toss it down.

joemac3

Aug 1, 2011, 6:47 PM
Post #5 of 30 (6815 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Rope Bag Woes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
Well then do like everyone else does and take the rope out of the bag before you toss it down.

I have been, I just don't like my rope landing in the dirt (especially at Joshua Tree) or a few places one end, ends up in a bush or tree just out of reach of the ground. Just was wondering if there was a proper way to coil the rope that would get it to work.

sungam

Aug 1, 2011, 6:59 PM
Post #6 of 30 (6812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Nope. No special way of coiling it. Just take it out of the bag, toss it down, and if need be follow it on rappel to get it unstuck.

If it is just sitting on top of the dirt and isn't being stepping on or anything then it probobly isn't a big deal.

gmggg

Aug 1, 2011, 7:23 PM
Post #7 of 30 (6789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

joemac3 wrote:
gmggg wrote:
joemac3 wrote:

I don't sport rappel. It is for when I set up a top rope (I take friends/family climbing and they aren't able to lead)I also sometimes enjoy climbing in a large group and teach the rock climbing merit badge for my old boy scout troop.

In that case you could flake your rope out at the top of the climb on to your tarp (If you're in JT the top outs can be sandy too!) Then thread your rope through your "safety" and slowly feed it down so that it hangs just above the ground (careful! Don't let it touch). Next, attach the other end of the rope to your bag and slowly lower that down till it's on the ground.

Sorry for assuming you were sport rappelling. I haven't heard the word "safety" used in conjunction with anything at the top of a rock climb before and it sounded like something one of those guys would make up.

JoeHamilton

Aug 1, 2011, 7:30 PM
Post #8 of 30 (6785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

joemac3 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

I have been, I just don't like my rope landing in the dirt (especially at Joshua Tree) or a few places one end, ends up in a bush or tree just out of reach of the ground. Just was wondering if there was a proper way to coil the rope that would get it to work.

I bring my crash pad, shoe rug, with me when out top roping with my daughter. 1 on breaks she likes using the crash pad as a couch. 2 clean shoes stick better. What I do is after anchors are set I take my rope out of the bag un coil the wrap, then lower the rope rather then toss it into the wind. All the rope lowers to the pad or rug which ever is placed next to the wall. Sorry that doesn't answer you question, but it is a suggestion. Also maybe look up sport rap rope coiling, the answer might be in there.

gmggg

Aug 1, 2011, 7:43 PM
Post #9 of 30 (6765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ooh. I thought of another idea. You could get a large diameter wooden dowel, say 4-6 inches, drill two 12mm holes in the center, and some pilot holes perfectly centered at the end. hen take your rope bag and punch two holes at the ends of the longest dimension and add grommets. Put the dowel in the rope bag and on one end put a shoulder bolt with bushing through the grommet into the dowel. On the other end put a small crank arm with a bushing through the grommet into the dowel.

Now, you can thread the ends of the rope through the holes (one end per hole) and crank your rope with the handle to coil everything up. When you get to the top of your crag you'll notice that you have the middle of your rope right there at the end of the coil. All you have to do is clip it in and roll your pack down the hill.

acorneau

Aug 1, 2011, 8:31 PM
Post #10 of 30 (6733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hang the rope bag off your harness and let the rope pay out as you rappel down.

If it starts to get tangled then lock off your rappel and fix it.

JoeHamilton

Aug 1, 2011, 8:32 PM
Post #11 of 30 (6732 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You sir, should market that. Lol, why ask why? When We know most people will give an asinine response. The guy asked a real question.

(This post was edited by JoeHamilton on Aug 1, 2011, 8:33 PM)

Partner j_ung

Aug 1, 2011, 9:30 PM
Post #12 of 30 (6704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
Ooh. I thought of another idea. You could get a large diameter wooden dowel, say 4-6 inches, drill two 12mm holes in the center, and some pilot holes perfectly centered at the end. hen take your rope bag and punch two holes at the ends of the longest dimension and add grommets. Put the dowel in the rope bag and on one end put a shoulder bolt with bushing through the grommet into the dowel. On the other end put a small crank arm with a bushing through the grommet into the dowel.

Now, you can thread the ends of the rope through the holes (one end per hole) and crank your rope with the handle to coil everything up. When you get to the top of your crag you'll notice that you have the middle of your rope right there at the end of the coil. All you have to do is clip it in and roll your pack down the hill.

That's what I do. Works like a charm.

wolfdog

Aug 1, 2011, 9:42 PM
Post #13 of 30 (6697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, there is a special way to coil the rope in a rope bag if you are going to throw it. If you have one of those long cylindrical rope bags that have a tight opeing at one end, you need to coil the rope in small loops and stack them in the rope bag a few at a time, tricky. Make the coils small so that they flake out with no resistance as they uncoil. Using a rope bag with a larger mouth is generally easier, and you just need to make sure the coils are smaller then the mouth of the rope bag and stacked neatly in succession. If you want a cool durable rope bags, check out the Fish Chum Bucket or Fish Snake Charmer, they rock.

Rocquestar

Aug 2, 2011, 3:43 AM
Post #14 of 30 (6613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not really a 'coil' at all, it's more of a 'stack' right in the bag. I think of it in the same way that I stuff a boating/kayaking throw rope, it's just a lot longer, heavier, and stiffer.) Here's as good as I can describe it:

To prepare, tie a byte & clip the centre point, then flake out the rope 'ontop' of that (isolate it first, to avoid knotting the rope) when fully stacked, the ends will be 'on top' of the flaked rope.

Tie the ends to the inside of the bag (or through the bottom), hold the bag open, and 'hand-over-hand' the two strands into the bag - it will 'stack' as it's put in. This is much easier with a second person holding the bag open, but it can be done alone. You have to reach in to 'press' the stack into the bag every so often lest it overflow, but when you're done, the rope will be 'stacked', in the bag, with the centre point at the top.

Clip it and throw - works like a charm.

(This post was edited by Rocquestar on Aug 2, 2011, 3:44 AM)

billcoe_

Aug 2, 2011, 2:00 PM
Post #15 of 30 (6550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What brand of rope bag?

billcoe_

Aug 2, 2011, 2:01 PM
Post #16 of 30 (6549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Rope Bag Woes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What make/model/size and length of rope?

gmggg

Aug 3, 2011, 12:51 PM
Post #17 of 30 (6457 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Rope Bag Woes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How tall's the crag?

marc801

Aug 3, 2011, 2:37 PM
Post #18 of 30 (6425 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rocquestar] Rope Bag Woes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rocquestar wrote:
To prepare, tie a byte & clip the centre point,..
Bytes are in computers. You mean bight. And there's only one area of the world that misspells "center". Wink

sungam

Aug 3, 2011, 2:47 PM
Post #19 of 30 (6419 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Rope Bag Woes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
there's only one area of the world that misspells "center". Wink
You hatin'?

Rocquestar

Aug 3, 2011, 11:01 PM
Post #20 of 30 (6359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Rope Bag Woes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, okay, I'm a Canadian IT guy.

I misspelled 'bight'. I did not, however, misspell 'centre'. You are correct, that you are from the one place in the world that misspells that word.

potreroed

Aug 4, 2011, 4:18 AM
Post #21 of 30 (6300 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your problem is your insisting in coiling the rope. Don't coil--just stuff it into the bag. But seriously, why deal with a bag at all--just throw that sucker down

sandstone

Aug 4, 2011, 3:10 PM
Post #22 of 30 (6232 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Rope Bag Woes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ed nailed it -- stuff the rope in the bag instead of coiling, then it will feed out smooth as silk.

As evidenced by many of the comments above, for a lot of climbing a rope bag is just going to be an unnecessary encumbrance, and I agree.

However for what you are doing (setting up TR's), a rope bag is a great idea. You can throw down your bag and it will be unaffected by wind, and it will crash right through tree limbs that would catch a loose rope.

Tie both ends of your rope to the empty bag. Simultaneously feed or stuff the rope (effectively two ropes since you are working with both ends) into the bag, without coiling it in any way. Just let it pile on top of itself as you feed it into the bag. Don't stuff the whole rope in the bag at one time, work your way from the ends toward the middle of the rope. When you're done stuffing you will be holding the midpoint of the rope, tie that off to the bag.

This is just like stuffing a river rescue throw rope.

http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

(This post was edited by sandstone on Aug 4, 2011, 3:11 PM)

joemac3

Aug 4, 2011, 11:49 PM
Post #23 of 30 (6173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry for taking so long to respond

rope bag: Black Diamond Superslacker Rope Bag
rope: I can't remember but I believe its a mammut

clc

Aug 5, 2011, 3:48 PM
Post #24 of 30 (6125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't coil your rope into the rope bag. Thats your problem, it will cluster every time. Just flake the rope in.

billcoe_

Aug 5, 2011, 4:29 PM
Post #25 of 30 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

joemac3 wrote:
rope bag: Black Diamond Superslacker Rope Bag
rope: I can't remember but I believe its a mammut

It's you.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?