RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

trayboarder

Aug 6, 2011, 6:08 AM
Post #1 of 7 (4106 views)
Shortcut

Socal aid practice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My climbing partner and myself are getting more into aid and are looking for some good places to practice. We are a stones throw from devils punch bowl and sport climb there often. Anyone have any suggestions is their any half decent aid in devils punch bowl.

ianmeister89

Aug 8, 2011, 2:00 AM
Post #2 of 7 (4038 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trayboarder] Socal aid practice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This would probably be better suited in the punchbowl regional forum. As far as I know, there isn't any aid to speak of, even down on very direct wall, but i could be mistaken.

-Ian

madbolter1

Aug 12, 2011, 8:53 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, the Riverside Quarry is a ways from the Punchbowl, but well worth the drive. It's turned into a sport climbing area now, but there are still some genuinely worthwhile aid lines there, ranging from easy to quite dangerous. And it's aid much like you'll find in the Valley, so you'll be cutting your teeth on the same sorts of placements using the same sorts of tactics that will get you up Yosemite's big walls. Best SoCal aid climbing there is.

Have fun!

cobbledik

Oct 28, 2011, 5:32 AM
Post #4 of 7 (3666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

second for Riverside Quarry. not only are the aid routes there interesting and similar to parts of yosemite, but the gridbolting that happened because of the sport climbing allows you to turn A4 into A1 with the reach of an arm. Or if you're practicing solo aiding like i'm doing, with the reach of your trusty aid cheat stick. (no point in getting hurt while practicing eh?)

(This post was edited by cobbledik on Oct 28, 2011, 5:33 AM)

taller_climber_dude

Nov 2, 2011, 2:40 AM
Post #5 of 7 (3570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cobbledik] Socal aid practice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yes also to add for riverside and the above is spot on about the aid routes, much like the valley some respects. but drive your buddies car i've my car broken into more then once there, and other friends that climb there as well, so heads up! you can park closer to the but wall was mined! loose rock on the less climbed sections.Pirate and near city slab

ianmeister89

Nov 2, 2011, 2:52 AM
Post #6 of 7 (3566 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taller_climber_dude] Socal aid practice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

taller_climber_dude wrote:
you can park closer to the but wall was mined! loose rock on the less climbed sections.Pirate and near city slab

Telling him to park near the walls is poor advice. There were some issues with access here a few months ago, and there is chance you will be cited by the local police. Please help us keep the quarry open and park on the street like everybody else. If you are concerned about break-ins, then park a little further into the neighborhood.

-Ian

nathan.scherneck

Nov 9, 2011, 6:43 PM
Post #7 of 7 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ianmeister89] Socal aid practice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're willing to make the drive I'm looking for people to aid with at the Riverside Quarry. It's 20 mins from my house.

Rex, do you (or anyone else) have info about the aid lines at the quarry going clean?

(This post was edited by nathan.scherneck on Nov 9, 2011, 9:20 PM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook