Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

vencido

Aug 9, 2011, 5:38 PM
Post #26 of 70 (3189 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgruberman] BRAND spanking new - caving question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Your questions are a lot more complicated that they appear.

Whether you are climbing up 15 feet or climbing up 400 feet, many of the same things can go wrong.

Ascending and descending ropes is not a trivial thing. If you are the type that can learn from a book, great. If not, you will need hands on training. There are so many tips to make things easier and things that are dangerous that you would not realize if learning by trial and error.

For a comprehensive look at technique and equipment check out this book:
http://www.amazon.com/...312911073&sr=1-6

sungam

Aug 9, 2011, 5:47 PM
Post #27 of 70 (3180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

By the way, what are you using as an anchor?

jgruberman

Aug 9, 2011, 6:31 PM
Post #28 of 70 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] BRAND spanking new - caving question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That would be greatly appreciated. From what you've said so far, I trust any advice you would give.

sungam

Aug 9, 2011, 6:48 PM
Post #29 of 70 (3172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgruberman wrote:
I trust any advice you would give.
Never trust one source alone, no matter how awesome the person is Wink

Video inbound.

But what is the anchor there? A BFT (Big fukkin tree)?

jgruberman

Aug 9, 2011, 6:55 PM
Post #30 of 70 (3167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lol not sure what their anchor is... but mine would probably be something similar but I have a lot less distance to travel :)

sungam

Aug 9, 2011, 7:03 PM
Post #31 of 70 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgruberman wrote:
lol not sure what their anchor is... but mine would probably be something similar but I have a lot less distance to travel :)
How are you planning to attach the rope at the top?

jgruberman

Aug 9, 2011, 7:06 PM
Post #32 of 70 (3158 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't gotten that far yet. There are a lot of extremely large trees where I'm going down.

sungam

Aug 9, 2011, 7:34 PM
Post #33 of 70 (3154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgruberman wrote:
I haven't gotten that far yet. There are a lot of extremely large trees where I'm going down.
Cool.

I gotta apologise, my internet is freaking out when I try to upload the video file. I'll look again to see if there is a good video on youtube. It's too bad - I had a great joke about how huge my package looked in my P.J.'s harness combo...

Edit: You know how to tie to a big tree? If you know how to tie in (Fig 8), it may well be easiest just to tie to the tree like that.

You should really, REALLY try to get someone to show you all this shit in person.

(This post was edited by sungam on Aug 9, 2011, 7:38 PM)

jgruberman

Aug 9, 2011, 7:42 PM
Post #34 of 70 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL... well if it can go to any website or upload via FTP or something I can get you ability to do that.

I'm interested in seeing the vid you make, considering its exactly related to what I've been asking and talking about.

sungam

Aug 9, 2011, 8:03 PM
Post #35 of 70 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am on a very cheap low-bandwidth internet connection, so just getting it on the net is the issue.

Anyways, I will try to write it out in short sentences.

Firstly, try to get someone to show you it in person.

Make sure you don't go alone. If something happens (dropped ascender, rope gets jammed in a crack and you can't ascend past it etc.) then your cell coverage might be kinda shitty, what with you being under ground and all. Have someone there that can get you help.

So firstly, you can rappel down with the gri gri. Make sure there is a knot in the end of your rope in case you mis-judged the length of the rappel. That way if you run out of rope you won't just rap off the end of the rope. :)

When you get to the cache, cache it (or whatever), but if you need to take both hands off the rope then clove hitch the rope to your harness just a couple of feet below the grigri. In fact, tie it anyways.

Put your ascender (ideally a handled one) on the rope above the grigri. Clip a 'biner through the top hole if you like, this will stop the ascender disconnecting from the rope should you accidentally disengage the toothed lever and lock it back. When you see an ascender you will know what I mean.

Attach a sling between your harness and the ascender, this will save you from dropping it. Ideally the sling should be just long enough so that when you push the ascender up it comes tight with a slight bend in your elbow.

Have a sling going from the bottom of the ascender to your foot (you choose which one). Clove hitch it to the foot if it keeps trying to come off.

At this point you should be able to clearly see that if you push the ascender up the rope and stand up, you could pull the slack through the gri gri and could then just sit back on your harness, ready to push the ascender up once again.

To make things a little easier, you can experiment with taking the rope from the brake end of the grigri and clipping it through the carabiner at the bottom of the ascender.

That was when you stand up instead of just pulling yourself up with one arm, you can pull on the rope below* the 'biner on the ascender with the other arm, too.

Pic coming soon...

jgruberman

Aug 9, 2011, 8:06 PM
Post #36 of 70 (3140 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perfect... I understand all of that.

When you say "Attach a sling between your harness and the ascender" do you just mean a small length of rope or equivalent?

sungam

Aug 9, 2011, 8:39 PM
Post #37 of 70 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgruberman wrote:
Perfect... I understand all of that.

When you say "Attach a sling between your harness and the ascender" do you just mean a small length of rope or equivalent?
Uh, I guess you could use a length of rope, but a sling would be easier.

If you were going to be doing a lot of jugging then I would reccomend using a daisy chain or similar to get the length just right, but really for the lengths you are looking at it really doesn't matter, you aren't going to get hopelessly pumped in that distance if you take a steady pace.

jgruberman

Aug 9, 2011, 8:44 PM
Post #38 of 70 (3128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, I get all of that.

Just didn't know what a "sling" was. Google images wins.
http://sicksport.com/images/1in_nylon_sling.jpg

:)

sungam

Aug 9, 2011, 8:52 PM
Post #39 of 70 (3127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgruberman wrote:
Okay, I get all of that.

Just didn't know what a "sling" was. Google images wins.
http://sicksport.com/images/1in_nylon_sling.jpg

:)
Yep, that's it.

FWIW, I prefer using a left-handed ascender with the set-up I described.

jgruberman

Aug 9, 2011, 8:58 PM
Post #40 of 70 (3124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aha! I just had an "oh shit" moment.

I'm not doing any seperate ascending with my foot... I'm just using that foot pushing to move my entire body up the rope while the only device performing the upwards work is the ascender and the only device performing the downwards work is the gri-gri

jgruberman

Aug 9, 2011, 9:04 PM
Post #41 of 70 (3123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and instead of using a gri-gri if I'm on a budget and have additional safety, I can use a regular belay device. i think I got it!

sungam

Aug 9, 2011, 9:09 PM
Post #42 of 70 (3120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgruberman wrote:
and instead of using a gri-gri if I'm on a budget and have additional safety, I can use a regular belay device. i think I got it!
Whoahnonononono, not for the ascending! The only reason that the gri gri works is because it is an auto-locking belay device, a normal belay plate would just slide.

If you are going for the budget option, and won't have a gri-gri, then it is all a little more complicated, and a fairly different system.

sungam

Aug 9, 2011, 9:10 PM
Post #43 of 70 (3119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgruberman wrote:
Aha! I just had an "oh shit" moment.

I'm not doing any seperate ascending with my foot... I'm just using that foot pushing to move my entire body up the rope while the only device performing the upwards work is the ascender and the only device performing the downwards work is the gri-gri
Yeah, pretty much. No real "downwards" force, though. You really really should get someone to show you this. I'm sure your local climbing gym would teach you for a pretty decent price. They would go over a whole range of topics,, making it so you would be applying knowledge rather then following a series of instructions. Much safer and much more versitile Smile

jgruberman

Aug 9, 2011, 9:13 PM
Post #44 of 70 (3117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
jgruberman wrote:
Whoahnonononono, not for the ascending! The only reason that the gri gri works is because it is an auto-locking belay device, a normal belay plate would just slide.

If you are going for the budget option, and won't have a gri-gri, then it is all a little more complicated, and a fairly different system.

Oh I meant for the descending to use a regular belay device. I know the ascending will be an ascender and the two slings... I got that part(I hope lol)

sungam

Aug 9, 2011, 9:23 PM
Post #45 of 70 (3114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgruberman wrote:
sungam wrote:
jgruberman wrote:

Oh I meant for the descending to use a regular belay device. I know the ascending will be an ascender and the two slings... I got that part(I hope lol)
Unfortunately you can't ascend with just one ascender, unless the rock is at a really friendly angle.

jgruberman

Aug 9, 2011, 9:27 PM
Post #46 of 70 (3111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
jgruberman wrote:
sungam wrote:
jgruberman wrote:

Unfortunately you can't ascend with just one ascender, unless the rock is at a really friendly angle.

Well it's at a complete 90 degree angle. Straight up/down. And if I can't ascend with one ascender... what have we been talking about? I thought I needed an ascender, gri-gri, and two slings?

sungam

Aug 9, 2011, 9:29 PM
Post #47 of 70 (3110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgruberman wrote:
sungam wrote:
jgruberman wrote:
sungam wrote:
jgruberman wrote:

Well it's at a complete 90 degree angle. Straight up/down. And if I can't ascend with one ascender... what have we been talking about? I thought I needed an ascender, gri-gri, and two slings?

With the grigri+ascender you use the grigri to hold your weight as you slide the ascender up the rope. With a normal belay device this will not work, as the normal belay device does not lock onto the rope and hold your weight.

jgruberman

Aug 9, 2011, 9:31 PM
Post #48 of 70 (3108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Got it - that's what I thought you meant. Thanks. Final question, is there a specific type of rope I need to use for this? Aside from being able to reach to bottom, I'm asking more in terms of type/thickness.

sungam

Aug 9, 2011, 9:33 PM
Post #49 of 70 (3107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgruberman wrote:
Got it - that's what I thought you meant. Thanks. Final question, is there a specific type of rope I need to use for this? Aside from being able to reach to bottom, I'm asking more in terms of type/thickness.
A 50m long 10.2mm static rope would suite your needs perfectly.

jgruberman

Aug 9, 2011, 9:37 PM
Post #50 of 70 (3105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perfect. I went to the local dealers website and looked for the closest to that and came up with:
http://www.rei.com/product/737380/pmi-e-z-bend-sport-static-rope-11mm-x-46m

Says:
This low-stretch PMI static rope with knot-friendly EZ-Bend sheath braiding is a favorite of cavers and search-and-rescue teams.

Sounds like I'm onto something :)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook