RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

gagek90

Aug 10, 2011, 6:49 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1000 views)
Shortcut

Help with trip planning to ZION
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I am driving home from San Francisco to Texas and I am climbing along the way. My first stop is yosemite and then Mt. Zion. I know the Yosemite area but I am new to Mt. Zion. Any bata will help. I have gear for natural anchors and sport climbing. Sadly I am to broke to afford cams and nuts. If you know of any good sport climbs or top roping I would be grateful. Aslo any suggestions of fun places to climb on the way from Nor Cal to Austin would help especially places in New Mexico.

Thanks, Gage

kennoyce

Aug 10, 2011, 8:18 PM
Post #2 of 6 (978 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gagek90] Help with trip planning to ZION [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

gagek90 wrote:
I am driving home from San Francisco to Texas and I am climbing along the way. My first stop is yosemite and then Mt. Zion. I know the Yosemite area but I am new to Mt. Zion. Any bata will help. I have gear for natural anchors and sport climbing. Sadly I am to broke to afford cams and nuts. If you know of any good sport climbs or top roping I would be grateful. Aslo any suggestions of fun places to climb on the way from Nor Cal to Austin would help especially places in New Mexico.

Thanks, Gage

First of all, by Mt. Zion I would assume that you mean Zion National Park, is that correct? If so, you won't find any sport climbing or top roping there. Everything is traditional climbing and is generally impossible to aproach from the top to set up a TR. The only sport climbs I can think of in Zion are in Kolab canyon and can be seen here.

A much better idea of somewhere to go near Zion that has the type of climbing you are looking for are the various crags around St. George, UT.

marc801

Aug 10, 2011, 9:42 PM
Post #3 of 6 (963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When are you planning to do this? Currently it's over 100F in the St. George area and will be for the foreseeable future.

gagek90

Aug 11, 2011, 4:09 AM
Post #4 of 6 (950 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Help with trip planning to ZION [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes I meant Zion National Park. Thanks for the information, I will have to start researching other places that are more suitable for sport climbing. And to the post below this, the 100F isn't too big of a deal... I am used to it from growing up in Tejas. If you have any ideas for places to go, my ears are open.

Gage

climbingtrash

Aug 11, 2011, 4:42 AM
Post #5 of 6 (943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In Saint George the Chuckawalla wall, Black Rocks, Snow Canyon-east side, and The Prophecy wall all have shade until about noon and are doable with an early start. (say 6:30am) Once those walls go into the sun, forget about it. Cedar Mountain/The Over Look has some good climbing too. It's at a higher elevation so it stays much cooler.

http://mountainproject.com/...int-george/105716826

http://mountainproject.com/v/brian-head/106984454

Zion is definitely worth a visit even if you're not climbing.

vivid2012

Aug 11, 2011, 6:43 AM
Post #6 of 6 (932 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingtrash] Help with trip planning to ZION [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingtrash wrote:
In Saint George the Chuckawalla wall, Black Rocks, Snow Canyon-east side, and The Prophecy wall all have shade until about noon and are doable with an early start. (say 6:30am) Once those walls go into the sun, forget about it. Cedar Mountain/The Over Look has some good climbing too. It's at a higher elevation so it stays much cooler.

http://mountainproject.com/...int-george/105716826

http://mountainproject.com/v/brian-head/106984454

Zion is definitely worth a visit even if you're not climbing.
Looks cool source.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook