RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

erinakabucky

Aug 10, 2011, 5:54 PM
Post #1 of 15 (2617 views)
Shortcut

how steep is Utah's rating
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have noticed that the ratings out west (vancouver and Arizona from my experience) and some others I have heard about are not as steep as they are on the east coast (gunks, seneca). for example when only climbing 5.8s on the east I was able to come out west and climb 5.10s. Does anyone know where Utah fits on this scale?

marc801

Aug 10, 2011, 6:20 PM
Post #2 of 15 (2595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erinakabucky] how steep is Utah's rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

erinakabucky wrote:
I have noticed that the ratings out west (vancouver and Arizona from my experience) and some others I have heard about are not as steep as they are on the east coast (gunks, seneca). for example when only climbing 5.8s on the east I was able to come out west and climb 5.10s. Does anyone know where Utah fits on this scale?
Pretty much like the rest of the west. Actually, it's the Gunks that is the outlier, because the climbing is fundamentally different. Unlike many if not most other areas, Gunks routes tend to have powerful, boulder-problem type cruxes, often an overhang or roof, interspersed with easier face climbing. It's a different set of techniques than say a full-pitch hand crack, and often shuts people down at some grade below what they find they can climb elsewhere. OTOH, on my first trip away from the Gunks, I learned that I basically didn't have a clue about how to deal with long jam cracks or an endless sea of featureless granite friction slab.

Edit to add:
Of course in Utah, there are so many different rock types that you may find some areas more or less difficult than other areas. In Maple Canyon, it's hard to have the endurance to on-sight routes, esp. near your limit, thanks to the overwhelming choice of a dozen or more handholds on every single move (Maple is a conglomerate made up of millions of river rocks glued into a sandstone matrix). The burliness of the crack routes in Indian Creek make many routes an endurance fest and the purity of many of the cracks - meaning few or no foot holds other than the crack - can really up the grade. Do one or two moves and you might say "That's not 5.12a" - do the same move in the same size crack for 160' using 8 of the same size cam and you might feel differently. Also, finger and hand size can mean a difference of a full grade for you as compared to the FA.

(This post was edited by marc801 on Aug 10, 2011, 6:28 PM)

Jnclk

Aug 10, 2011, 6:48 PM
Post #3 of 15 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Grades at traditional areas tend to be more conservatively graded. Traditional areas out west are comparable in grade to traditional areas in the east. As marc has stated styles may be more of an issue than the grade.

And when you say 5.10 what is your point of reference? Face, slab, dime edging, sport, friction, fingers, hands, roof, offwidth?

(This post was edited by Jnclk on Aug 10, 2011, 6:53 PM)

erinakabucky

Aug 10, 2011, 8:33 PM
Post #4 of 15 (2518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jnclk] how steep is Utah's rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the replies. gotcha on the styles point.

my experiences listed are typically for trad areas not sure about the others I have talked to. by 5.10 I am referring to face, slab, crack and I think off width

funk

Aug 10, 2011, 8:48 PM
Post #5 of 15 (2509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joe's feels soft. LLC is stiff at times, soft at others.

superchuffer

Aug 10, 2011, 9:14 PM
Post #6 of 15 (2494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

interesting that people would say utah is soft considering that it is the center of climbing in the US. the gunks is old school sandbagged - 5.8 is actually 5.10. if all areas were like the gunks then there wouldn't be 14c

csproul

Aug 10, 2011, 9:34 PM
Post #7 of 15 (2486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superchuffer] how steep is Utah's rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

superchuffer wrote:
interesting that people would say utah is soft considering that it is the center of climbing in the US. the gunks is old school sandbagged - 5.8 is actually 5.10. if all areas were like the gunks then there wouldn't be 14c
Really?

marc801

Aug 10, 2011, 9:40 PM
Post #8 of 15 (2482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

superchuffer wrote:
This is exactly that style of climbing thing. The Gunks are sandbagged only if you're not used to that type of climbing. One Yosemite visitor to the Gunks in the early 80's felt that Shockley's Ceiling (a 3' overhang originally rated 5.5, now considered 5.6) was wildly undergraded and at least 5.10d - he had insisted on jamming the 3.5" crack going through the ceiling instead of grabbing the huge bucket over the lip and <doing a non-obvious move, the description omitted here so as to not spew beta>.

superchuffer

Aug 10, 2011, 9:43 PM
Post #9 of 15 (2478 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] how steep is Utah's rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Really?

find another area with that much climbing within an easy day's drive. boulder? boulder is so 1995, and all the boulderites stream to rifle every weekend. where do you suggest?

csproul

Aug 10, 2011, 9:52 PM
Post #10 of 15 (2473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

superchuffer wrote:
In reply to:
Really?

find another area with that much climbing within an easy day's drive. boulder? boulder is so 1995, and all the boulderites stream to rifle every weekend. where do you suggest?
I'm not sure that "that much climbing within an easy day's drive" equals "the center of climbing in the US" in my book. Utah has great climbing, but I think you'd have a hard time getting a consensus that it is "the center of climbing in the US". All I know is that when I consider a climbing vacation, Utah rarely makes the list of places I travel to visit.

flesh

Aug 10, 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #11 of 15 (2458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] how steep is Utah's rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Utah,

Little cottonwood canyon, STIFF like Fontainebleau style grades for bouldering and yosimite style ratings for trad routes, STIFF STIFF sport routes.

Big Cottonwood Canyon, Average

American fork, Average

Maple canyon, Soft at the higher levels

Joes Valley, A little Soft

Ibex, Average

Moab/Indian creek, Stiff

Moab bouldering, STIFF

Based on climbing in 12 countries.

damienclimber

Aug 10, 2011, 11:49 PM
Post #12 of 15 (2435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

erinakabucky wrote:

broad spectrum- which places?

Partner j_ung

Aug 16, 2011, 3:54 PM
Post #13 of 15 (2248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

superchuffer wrote:
In reply to:
Really?

By that rationale, I'd have to say that the NRG is the center of climbing in America.

petsfed

Aug 16, 2011, 4:07 PM
Post #14 of 15 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flesh] how steep is Utah's rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
Moab/Indian creek, Stiff

Moab bouldering, STIFF

Admittedly, I come from a pretty stiff crack climbing area, but I felt like Indian Creek, in particular, was quite soft until you hit 5.12 if you knew how to jam the size.

As for the bouldering though, I don't think the word "stiff" can be emphasized enough. I managed to send one V1 at Big Bend, at the absolute pinnacle of my strength, and I've never been able to do it again.

(This post was edited by petsfed on Aug 16, 2011, 4:10 PM)

caughtinside

Aug 16, 2011, 4:32 PM
Post #15 of 15 (2215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

After travelling around and thinking some places stiff, some places soft, this is my opinion of the whole grading thing:

Most major areas are basically right on. However, every place has it's own style. For me, it can take a couple climbing days to figure out the style, see what works at a given area on a new type of stone.

Sometimes, these styles favor my personal strengths as a climber, and the area feels soft for me.

Othertimes, the area highlights my weaknesses, and I either need to step up or get bouted. The place feels hard.

I think at one point or another I have heard every climbing area called both stiff and soft. Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Indian Creek, even the gunks.

The universal truth though is that those 5.6 gunkies will swear up and down they are two grades harder than any other area... while they are at Red Rocks.

My conclusion is that Red Rocks is the only soft major area in the US, and the gunkies love it for this reason, in addition to the cheap airfare, non-NY climate, and the ability to climb more than 200 feet on a single route.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook