RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

spikeddem

Aug 11, 2011, 1:39 AM
Post #1 of 13 (4517 views)
Shortcut

count down + count up stop watch
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yo. I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen a stop watch that can be reversed to count down (after counting up).

Example:

Start set of a 4x4, and start watch.
Finish last problem
Immediately upon dropping off of fourth problem, hit "count down" or "reverse" button, so that it takes the exact time the watch was at, and begins to count down to zero.

Anyone know of one that behaves like this? I can find count down watches, but most of them have to have an entered time from which to begin count down. That kind of defeats the entire purpose.

JoeHamilton

Aug 11, 2011, 1:54 AM
Post #2 of 13 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] count down + count up stop watch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting, would the thought be to repeat the 4x4 with a faster time?

ceebo

Aug 11, 2011, 1:55 AM
Post #3 of 13 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
Yo. I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen a stop watch that can be reversed to count down (after counting up).

Example:

Finish last problem
Immediately upon dropping off of fourth problem, hit "count down" or "reverse" button, so that it takes the exact time the watch was at, and begins to count down to zero.

Anyone know of one that behaves like this? I can find count down watches, but most of them have to have an entered time from which to begin count down. That kind of defeats the entire purpose.

Never seen that before. Their is a function on my mobile phone that will stop the current lap time, leave it on display and then start a new lap time also on display. That can be repeated many times with all lap timers on display. Kinda the same result as what your looking for only you will have to keep an eye on the ''rest'' time for when it reaches the ''climb'' lap, hit the button again and quickly get back on the wall.

Apart from that, use 2 watches ;p.

spikeddem

Aug 11, 2011, 2:00 AM
Post #4 of 13 (4501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] count down + count up stop watch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
Interesting, would the thought be to repeat the 4x4 with a faster time?

The idea is to help me make my rest time equal to my climbing time. If I do my set in a minute and a half, then I'll rest for a minute and a half.

ceebo wrote:
Never seen that before. Their is a function on my mobile phone that will stop the current lap time, leave it on display and then start a new lap time also on display. That can be repeated many times with all lap timers on display. Kinda the same result as what your looking for only you will have to keep an eye on the ''rest'' time for when it reaches the ''climb'' lap, hit the button again and quickly get back on the wall.

Hmm. Something like that could work. Ideally, I'd like to minimize any thinking necessary, so I can increase reproducibility and consistency.

redonkulus

Aug 11, 2011, 3:17 AM
Post #5 of 13 (4480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
Never seen that before. Their is a function on my mobile phone that will stop the current lap time, leave it on display and then start a new lap time also on display. That can be repeated many times with all lap timers on display.

That's what I always use, too. Does the trick, its just a bit annoying to pick up the phone, unlock it, hit the lap button, etc.

ceebo

Aug 11, 2011, 1:06 PM
Post #6 of 13 (4443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redonkulus] count down + count up stop watch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redonkulus wrote:
ceebo wrote:
Never seen that before. Their is a function on my mobile phone that will stop the current lap time, leave it on display and then start a new lap time also on display. That can be repeated many times with all lap timers on display.

That's what I always use, too. Does the trick, its just a bit annoying to pick up the phone, unlock it, hit the lap button, etc.

A smart person turns off the lock feature Laugh.

redonkulus

Aug 11, 2011, 1:11 PM
Post #7 of 13 (4439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
redonkulus wrote:
ceebo wrote:

You must have a nicer phone than I. Or else, I just can't find that setting. Oh well.

ceebo

Aug 11, 2011, 1:13 PM
Post #8 of 13 (4435 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redonkulus] count down + count up stop watch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redonkulus wrote:
ceebo wrote:
redonkulus wrote:
ceebo wrote:

You must have a nicer phone than I. Or else, I just can't find that setting. Oh well.

Maybe, i don't know ;p. I put mine in flight mode, otherwise it amounts to nothing but a wife on a belt.

ghisino

Aug 12, 2011, 8:15 AM
Post #9 of 13 (4383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so what's the problem with a regular stopwatch.

of course you need some memory and you need not to get distracted too much during you rest interval, or you'll rest too much.

Is that the problem?

Partner j_ung

Aug 12, 2011, 2:02 PM
Post #10 of 13 (4358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:

Example:

Finish last problem

Hate to sound all spammy, but my iPhone does that in two separate functions that can run simultaneously.

chadnsc

Aug 12, 2011, 3:02 PM
Post #11 of 13 (4346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've seen the function you're looking for in some rather expensive stop watches that cost around $80.

Another cheaper, yet more cumbersome approach would be to use two stop watches; one to time your climbing then one to time your rest. Not the sleekest solution but I've used it for arc training while running laps.

Good luck with your training.

jdgilberg

Aug 12, 2011, 8:28 PM
Post #12 of 13 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ghisino] count down + count up stop watch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ghisino wrote:

of course you need some memory and you need not to get distracted too much during you rest interval, or you'll rest too much.

Is that the problem?

throw in a pen and paper and you are set

damienclimber

Aug 13, 2011, 12:32 AM
Post #13 of 13 (4294 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jdgilberg] count down + count up stop watch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jdgilberg wrote:
ghisino wrote:

Is that the problem?

throw in a pen and paper and you are set

simple math, funny though

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook