Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

socalclimber

Aug 12, 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #1 of 51 (13634 views)
Shortcut

Thieves: Finally some good news...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

New River Gorge National River (WV)
Car Clout Suspects Caught In The Act

A rash of 30 car clouts (vehicle break-ins) at rock climber parking lots bordering the park starting in about mid-July resulted in a joint investigation involving rangers and the Fayette County Sheriff's Department. Rangers deployed covert game cameras at one parking lot which resulted in a sequence of pictures showing suspects pulling in, deploying lookouts, looking into cars, smashing a window, and then driving away. Credit card checks showed use of stolen cards at local retail stores. Rangers and deputies canvassed these stores and located store video footage showing two men using the stolen credit cards. An interagency surveillance operation consisting of rangers and Fayette County deputies was coordinated that targeted four parking lots. On the afternoon of July 29th, the suspect vehicle photographed in a prior car clout pulled into a parking lot under surveillance. Two men matching the description of those filmed earlier in the week at the retail stores got out and began to case an unattended rock climber vehicle. One man walked into the woods and encountered the rangers conducting the surveillance and both were immediately contacted. They were identified as two Beckley men known to rangers and police from prior car clout and drug offenses. Both men are currently on parole for previous offenses. In a search of their vehicle, methamphetamine was also found. Rangers and deputies conducted interviews of both men, which resulted in confessions to a number of car clouts both in and out of the park. Rangers are continuing to build a case, including charges for vandalism, theft, conspiracy and credit card fraud. Preliminary dialogue with the US Attorney's Office's white collar crime division indicates that they are prepared to charge the suspects with felony 18 USC access device crimes and conspiracy. Eric Oaks is lead investigator for the park.
[Submitted by Jeff West, Chief Ranger]

moose_droppings

Aug 12, 2011, 10:57 PM
Post #2 of 51 (13591 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
New River Gorge National River (WV)
Car Clout Suspects Caught In The Act

A rash of 30 car clouts (vehicle break-ins) at rock climber parking lots bordering the park starting in about mid-July resulted in a joint investigation involving rangers and the Fayette County Sheriff's Department. Rangers deployed covert game cameras at one parking lot which resulted in a sequence of pictures showing suspects pulling in, deploying lookouts, looking into cars, smashing a window, and then driving away. Credit card checks showed use of stolen cards at local retail stores. Rangers and deputies canvassed these stores and located store video footage showing two men using the stolen credit cards. An interagency surveillance operation consisting of rangers and Fayette County deputies was coordinated that targeted four parking lots. On the afternoon of July 29th, the suspect vehicle photographed in a prior car clout pulled into a parking lot under surveillance. Two men matching the description of those filmed earlier in the week at the retail stores got out and began to case an unattended rock climber vehicle. One man walked into the woods and encountered the rangers conducting the surveillance and both were immediately contacted. They were identified as two Beckley men known to rangers and police from prior car clout and drug offenses. Both men are currently on parole for previous offenses. In a search of their vehicle, methamphetamine was also found. Rangers and deputies conducted interviews of both men, which resulted in confessions to a number of car clouts both in and out of the park. Rangers are continuing to build a case, including charges for vandalism, theft, conspiracy and credit card fraud. Preliminary dialogue with the US Attorney's Office's white collar crime division indicates that they are prepared to charge the suspects with felony 18 USC access device crimes and conspiracy. Eric Oaks is lead investigator for the park.
[Submitted by Jeff West, Chief Ranger]

Woot Woot.

socalclimber

Aug 12, 2011, 11:20 PM
Post #3 of 51 (13571 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

With any luck the offenders will be endlessly raped the entire time they are in prison...

majid_sabet

Aug 12, 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #4 of 51 (13559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (11 ratings)  
Can't Post

In Saudi Arabia , they cut one hand and the same laws should be applied here in this country but ohh noooooooo

let's build a case for 4 years, cost 1/2 million dollar, send them to jail for $75000 a year x 2 asshole then give them 3 years of prob and they are back to where they were

love this nation

socalclimber

Aug 12, 2011, 11:31 PM
Post #5 of 51 (13556 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Unfortunately you are absolutely correct.

majid_sabet

Aug 12, 2011, 11:46 PM
Post #6 of 51 (13546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
Unfortunately you are absolutely correct.

you know it is funny cause I asked DA friend of mine on WTF and he said "its about our job security"

sungam

Aug 13, 2011, 12:08 AM
Post #7 of 51 (13528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, that's great! Good to see something go well. I hate seeing the threads about stolen gear and robbed cars on here.

JAB

Aug 14, 2011, 9:32 AM
Post #8 of 51 (13311 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The most important question was not answered; was any of the stolen gear retrieved?

ckirkwood9

Aug 14, 2011, 2:30 PM
Post #9 of 51 (13243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
With any luck the offenders will be endlessly raped the entire time they are in prison...

WITH a #6 Camalot... or better yet... a gold Trango Big Bro.
:P

lofstromc

Aug 14, 2011, 2:33 PM
Post #10 of 51 (13241 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd like to know who these tweakers where selling the stolen goods to? They admitted to doing it before.

Would it be against the law to distribute their pictures around retail shops in the area warning merchants not to take cards from these men?

Damn tweakers!

BoulderingMike

Aug 14, 2011, 3:37 PM
Post #11 of 51 (13207 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm going to The New next week. Glad to hear my gear will be safe, but bummed that I won't be able to score my meth. I guess you win some, you lose some.

socalclimber

Aug 14, 2011, 6:41 PM
Post #12 of 51 (13134 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lofstromc] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lofstromc wrote:
I'd like to know who these tweakers where selling the stolen goods to? They admitted to doing it before.

Would it be against the law to distribute their pictures around retail shops in the area warning merchants not to take cards from these men?

Damn tweakers!

I'm no lawyer, but my guess is that it would be unwise to do so until they are convicted. Regardless of being caught in the act, they are still innocent until proven guilty.

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 14, 2011, 8:06 PM
Post #13 of 51 (13090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to the rangers and others who went through the effort to catch these guys. It took some effort on their parts, and in these days it is all too often that there isn't time/funds allocated to be used in such a way.

tH1e-swiN1e

Aug 15, 2011, 2:52 AM
Post #14 of 51 (13015 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mmmmmm meth

Scoobdoo6559

Aug 16, 2011, 3:32 PM
Post #15 of 51 (12834 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tH1e-swiN1e] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This type of activity sadly has also been reported in Mass as well. One member on here actually had their 2x4 truck taken and later returned several days later - intact luckily and nothing stolen! Others have had their windows smashed in with cinder blocks and all their climbing gear stolen!

ClimbSoHigh

Aug 16, 2011, 5:14 PM
Post #16 of 51 (12778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Scoobdoo6559] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Me and my friend had our cars broken into at a local crag here in CT earlier in the spring. Thankfully all my gear was at the crag with me, but the a-holes stole my golf clubs, and smashed my buddies window for his sun glasses and a backpack.

Just a heads up, if you have a homeowners policy (if you actually have a home/apt :P), it will cover your stuff in your vehicle, which could save your ass if you get your full rack jacked out of your car. But then you'll have to spend a few weeks looking like a n00b with a shiney new rack.

I'm glad these meth heads got caught. Usually getting the cops involved in petty theft is impossible, let alone getting them to organzie a successful sting. Guess proactive climbers and credit fraud helped motivate them to act. Great news to hear!

DrNubbins

Aug 16, 2011, 5:27 PM
Post #17 of 51 (12763 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbSoHigh] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ClimbSoHigh wrote:
Me and my friend had our cars broken into at a local crag here in CT earlier in the spring. Thankfully all my gear was at the crag with me, but the a-holes stole my golf clubs, and smashed my buddies window for his sun glasses and a backpack.

Ack, which crag/where were you parked? I've parked in some pretty sketchy places and haven't had any problems.. Sorry to hear your results have been different Unsure

ClimbSoHigh

Aug 16, 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #18 of 51 (12669 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DrNubbins] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ack, which crag/where were you parked? I've parked in some pretty sketchy places and haven't had any problems.. Sorry to hear your results have been different

White Stone, the dirt pulloff on rt 262. We think it probably was these kids parked in an beat up SUV that were there when we arrived. Figured it was the them since they never showed up at the cliff and 2 hours later some other climbers hiked in and told us my buddies window was smashed. Probably amateur kids doing a spontanious smash and grab since they passed on both our GPS units in plain sight. I guess they thought a GPS was traceable.

Either way life goes on, shit coulda been worse, tho I have not been back there since for some reasonUnsure Plenty of other places to go to where I have never had issues.

brap

Aug 17, 2011, 8:18 AM
Post #19 of 51 (12582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:

I'd rather have my hands cut off with a dull pocket knife than endure that scenario

rangerrob

Aug 22, 2011, 7:25 PM
Post #20 of 51 (12346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Majid, in Saudi Arabia they stone women to death for appearing wanton. Yeah....we should aspire to be just like them.

majid_sabet

Aug 22, 2011, 7:30 PM
Post #21 of 51 (12343 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
Majid, in Saudi Arabia they stone women to death for appearing wanton. Yeah....we should aspire to be just like them.

yes they do if she sleeps with a married man or a man sleeps with a married woman.

you let your wife walk naked and no one will have a ball to come forward now that is the law of the land and not like here where your balls are cut in divorce court by angry judges.

edit angry female judges

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Aug 22, 2011, 7:31 PM)

petsfed

Aug 22, 2011, 7:48 PM
Post #22 of 51 (12318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
rangerrob wrote:

yes they do if she sleeps with a married man or a man sleeps with a married woman.

you let your wife walk naked and no one will have a ball to come forward now that is the law of the land and not like here where your balls are cut in divorce court by angry judges.

edit angry female judges

Or if the husband wants to divorce her but can't get her to sign, so he accuses her of adultery.

bearbreeder

Aug 22, 2011, 8:28 PM
Post #23 of 51 (12291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
In Saudi Arabia , they cut one hand and the same laws should be applied here in this country but ohh noooooooo

let's build a case for 4 years, cost 1/2 million dollar, send them to jail for $75000 a year x 2 asshole then give them 3 years of prob and they are back to where they were

love this nation

go back to wahtever stan you come from where women cant drive, they spend all their time in burkhas, you stone em to death for the slightest infraction their husbands accuse em of, etc ... and people issue fatwas death sentences on people in other countries for disagreeing with their religion ...

course we are all infidel gumbies to you anyways Tongue

dont like it here? ... dont come here
Wink

wonderwoman

Aug 22, 2011, 8:50 PM
Post #24 of 51 (12269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
rangerrob wrote:

edit angry female judges

Good thing you only have angry female mods to deal with here. Keep it up, majid.

majid_sabet

Aug 23, 2011, 12:15 AM
Post #25 of 51 (12190 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Thieves: Finally some good news... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
rangerrob wrote:

edit angry female judges

Good thing you only have angry female mods to deal with here. Keep it up, majid.

you are my favorite mod here and I watch what I say cause I know the consequences of camping with a wrong female.

I think you will look cool and sexy in one of those female dresses in Yemen

Check here

http://www.google.com/...amp;tx=104&ty=85

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook