RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Rgr00n

Aug 19, 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #1 of 14 (3472 views)
Shortcut

Climbing package
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi!

So I was planning on buying my first pieces of equipment to have for myself, as I have been using the club's equipment for a while now, and with my own gear, I can take trips when I feel more like it aswell, and I know that it is not occupied.

I was looking at some gear, and found a package at roughly 1000$ which seemed to be reasonable when looking at what was included. The following things is included(English is not my native language, so please excuse any grammatical error, or if I use words that isn't "correct"):

Harness: Singing Rock Attack
Shoes: Mad Rock Flash
Belayer: Singing Rock Hornet
Carabiners: 2 x Singing Rock Hypnos HMS screwgate key-lock
Carabiners: 2 x Singing Rock Extacy Screw
Rope: 10 mm, 50 meters, 800 DaN, UIAA-fall is 10.
Quickdraws: Singing Rock Extacy Express Set x 10 units.
Rappeling something(Blush): Singing Rock Figure 8
Chalk Bag: Singing Rock Capsule Large
Chalk: Moon 300g Moon Dust
Static Rope: 6mm prusik

And also there are two of those which functions to anchor yourself without having to move your crotch all up on the bolts. Singing Rock 16mm
EDIT: I believe "slings" is the correct term.

So I was just wondering if this would be a good buy. My priorities are:
1: Safety
2: Price
3: Comfort

Also, as you may have noticed, Singing Rock dominates the package, so if would be proper to ask of opinions on the brand :)

Package: http://www.klatresiden.no/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=958 (it is a Norwegian site)

(This post was edited by Rgr00n on Aug 19, 2011, 11:37 PM)

brap

Aug 20, 2011, 6:23 AM
Post #2 of 14 (3430 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rgr00n] Climbing package [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know what climbing gear normally costs in Norway but $1,000 US is quite a bit of money for what I'm seeing. Am I missing something here?

Tjin

Aug 20, 2011, 7:59 AM
Post #3 of 14 (3419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure how long the routes are in norway, but 60m is more or less the standard these days.

Also with harnesses and shoes, you need to try them on before buying or you risk buying stuff that just don't fit.

(This post was edited by Tjin on Aug 20, 2011, 8:00 AM)

Rgr00n

Aug 20, 2011, 11:36 AM
Post #4 of 14 (3391 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tjin] Climbing package [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, 60m won't be a problem, I get to choose between 50 and 60, though 60m will cost me about 35 more dollars. The routes I have been climbing haven't been 25 meters, but as I progress in climbing, I'll head out to more distant and bigger routes.

When it comes to the shoes, I get to pick between a wide variety of sizes, and the webpage recommends how much I should deflect from my normal shoe-size, but ofcourse, I won't know if it fits or feels comfortable before I try it out. There's a sport business in town that sells Mammut shoes, and possibly La Sportiva as well, so if the shoes doesn't fit, I'll head over there and test a pair. The shoes in the package is included, so I don't think I can remove those.

As for the harness, the website gives good indications on what the sizes means. It goes from XS to XL, and they list the inches and centimeters around the waist and the legs that the harness is constructed for. In contrast to the shoes, the nearest shop to buy a harness is a 3-4 hours drive.

And also, I'm not sure if 1000$(which would be around 5500NOK) is expensive for the amount of gear I am buying, but I am going to consult the trainers at the club I am going to.

And thanks for the feedback, ofcourse!

(This post was edited by Rgr00n on Aug 20, 2011, 5:16 PM)

Partner j_ung

Aug 20, 2011, 11:48 AM
Post #5 of 14 (3386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely price that stuff individually, before committing to the package. Over here, $1000 for that would be considered remarkably expensive.

Rgr00n

Aug 20, 2011, 12:15 PM
Post #6 of 14 (3376 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Climbing package [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I also think that it is a little too much, mainly because I have to save approximately 6500$ to take my driver's license(yup, expensive up here), but I am pretty into climbing, and finding a package and equipment online to be shipped inland(or cheap) is not easy.

I will talk to the people at my club, they have the equipment listed and more(not same brand), so they would probably know where to get it as cheap as possible(but still reliable).

But what is the people's opinion on Singing Rock? Mainly I have heard of Petzl and Black Diamond, but most of the equipment the club have is Mammut. I reckon brand gives some kind of reassurance to the quality of the product you are buying, but then again, there are international regulations to make sure that unsafe equipment doesn't get sold.

(This post was edited by Rgr00n on Aug 20, 2011, 12:18 PM)

rocknice2

Aug 20, 2011, 3:29 PM
Post #7 of 14 (3323 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get your license and take a road trip.
For 1000euro you can buy a lot.
Have some people lined up and buy for them too plus a few $$ for gas.

Rgr00n

Aug 20, 2011, 4:39 PM
Post #8 of 14 (3309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Climbing package [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't get the license before April next year, and I plan on doing some climbing within that timespan, therefore I wondered if that package would be a good buy. Judging on the amount of criticism the prize has gotten from a few people here, I don't think I will buy this package.

A friend linked me another package that costs 730$ with a Black Diamond Momentum DS harness, more Cerro gear, still some Singing Rock, and a bag for rope. And Scarpa shoes. It's more reasonable, and it got everything I need, so I think that I will be taking it into consideration.

Package: http://ute.no/index.php?k=75&uk=111&vk=39&v=1599 (Norwegian once again, but the gear is mostly named with their respective English names).

With this package, I can choose between 3 shoes, and 2 harnesses.

moose_droppings

Aug 20, 2011, 5:04 PM
Post #9 of 14 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Singing Rock is a good reputable company.

As far as shoes and harnesses go, size doesn't matter as much as fit. The same size shoes in different brands (or different styles within the same brand) will have a different fit and some harnesses while they might fit size wise, might not be comfortable for your specific body type or make it harder to hold your body upright while hanging.

I'd look for more options at if all possible. No need to be in a big hurry to spend big bucks.

Rgr00n

Aug 20, 2011, 6:12 PM
Post #10 of 14 (3286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Climbing package [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I am actively trying to look up on good gear that is cheap. It isn't such a hurry, but with my own gear, me and some friends can go climbing on our own, instead of only following the club's "schedule".

herites

Aug 21, 2011, 5:47 PM
Post #11 of 14 (3204 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hm. It's a bit pricey for 1k usd. If I convert the prices to huf, you can get the whole shit for about 100-110k (and mountex is frigging overpricing everything) 1k USD is about 190k huf, the price difference is 80k huf=420$ For that money you can buy a retour ticket (30-35k), rent something for 2,5k/night and get really wasted for 5k at a party venue.

Conclusion: come to Hungary (or any other country), buy the whole mess here and spend the rest on cheap booze and girls :) Also, you could swap the MadRocks for Rock Pillars, they are easier and cheaper to come by (czech company like Singing Rock)

converting from NOK to HUF yielded 201k huf, which means more booze and girls :) Seriously go to any East-European country and have fun while shopping cheaper.

(This post was edited by herites on Aug 21, 2011, 5:50 PM)

damienclimber

Aug 21, 2011, 9:23 PM
Post #12 of 14 (3170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rgr00n wrote:
Can't get the license before April next year, and I plan on doing some climbing within that timespan, therefore I wondered if that package would be a good buy. Judging on the amount of criticism the prize has gotten from a few people here, I don't think I will buy this package.

A friend linked me another package that costs 730$ with a Black Diamond Momentum DS harness, more Cerro gear, still some Singing Rock, and a bag for rope. And Scarpa shoes. It's more reasonable, and it got everything I need, so I think that I will be taking it into consideration.

Package: http://ute.no/index.php?k=75&uk=111&vk=39&v=1599 (Norwegian once again, but the gear is mostly named with their respective English names).

With this package, I can choose between 3 shoes, and 2 harnesses.

Go try the harness and shoes on before purchase.
Mammut is from switzerland and cheaper if you go there .

(This post was edited by damienclimber on Aug 21, 2011, 9:57 PM)

buthipme

Aug 22, 2011, 6:55 AM
Post #13 of 14 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Climbing package [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yup, try by yourself before purchase.

markc

Aug 22, 2011, 2:01 PM
Post #14 of 14 (3088 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Climbing package [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Definitely price that stuff individually, before committing to the package. Over here, $1000 for that would be considered remarkably expensive.

I'd second that. It's tough for some of us in the U.S. to give advice regarding price, as we don't know the market. In my experience looking at climbing packages, you can frequently work out as good a deal or better while expanding your options by buying things individually.

You mentioned you're using club gear. It's unlikely, but I'd see if anyone in your club has the same shoe size and has a model of shoe you're considering. You could get some sense of fit that way. I'd be hesitant to buy shoes without trying them unless I was really familiar with the brand and/or model.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook