Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

SillyG

Aug 22, 2011, 7:03 PM
Post #51 of 252 (9283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hansolo] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. It's really helped me think this through.

So what I'm going to do is get some 10.5mm static, and the setup will be a figure eight on one leg and clove hitch on the other for easy adjustment. I'm still going to keep the two overhand loops for master-point redundancy, as it makes me feel both happy and safer.

The 6mm cord will be reserved for when I need to wrap larger objects for anchor legs, like an over-sized boulder. Then I can do a figure eight on a bite with 3-5 strands as a link for my 10.5mm static.

Here is a question: When you link two ropes together, like I described above, could you link a figure eight on one rope with clove hitch on the second second rope? Or would you put a 'biner in between to prevent rope friction/pinching?

Thanks again!

Cheers!

TarHeelEMT

Aug 22, 2011, 7:07 PM
Post #52 of 252 (9278 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SillyG] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SillyG wrote:
Thanks for all the useful comments. To clarify, I've attached a picture of what I'm doing.

Basically, I've got two clove hitches for the legs with two overhands to create independent redundancy for the master point. The 6mm cord is doubled.

Does this look safe to the experienced folks in the crowd? (I know the angle is wide in the picture... it's just for demonstration.)

[image]http://swatyy.webs.com/photo.jpg[/image]

Thanks!

I would rig it differently, but as bearbreeder aptly put it... that works.

rescueman

Aug 22, 2011, 7:36 PM
Post #53 of 252 (9268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
The AMGA operates in a foreign country

Actually it's you who live in a foreign country and have a funny accent. The earth revolves around the US of A, don't ya know?

rescueman

Aug 22, 2011, 7:51 PM
Post #54 of 252 (9262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

SillyG wrote:
So what I'm going to do is get some 10.5mm static, and the setup will be a figure eight on one leg and clove hitch on the other for easy adjustment. I'm still going to keep the two overhand loops for master-point redundancy, as it makes me feel both happy and safer.

I've never seen static rope in 10.5 - it's made in 11mm and 13mm.

I assume you mean a figure-8 follow-through on the first leg, but why the clove hitch which requires a back-up knot? It's really not difficult to find the low point of the line after it's tied to the two anchors and dropped over the edge.

And feeling safer is not the same as being safer. That double-eye master point is likely to triple load your biners. It adds nothing to the security of the anchor, particularly with 11mm static line.

In reply to:
When you link two ropes together, like I described above, could you link a figure eight on one rope with clove hitch on the second second rope? Or would you put a 'biner in between to prevent rope friction/pinching?

Avoid rope eye to rope connections, particularly with a hitch which can slip.

hugepedro

Aug 22, 2011, 8:04 PM
Post #55 of 252 (9255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SillyG wrote:
I'm still going to keep the two overhand loops for master-point redundancy, as it makes me feel both happy and safer.

There is no harm in doing that, however, there is no added redundancy there. If you tie both legs into 1 figure 8 there will be 4 loops in the master point; that is redundant. As you progress in your climbing you will eventually learn (hopefully) how to recognize the difference between what needs to be done for good reason, and what there is no good reason for doing, and eliminate the no good reason stuff.

I always teach people that, all other things being equal, it’s better to keep things simple. If AMGA guides are teaching this rig then I think they are doing their clients a disservice. Teaching noobs extra steps that have no added benefit is just adding one more opportunity for them to screw up.

What should be taught is how to recognize a risk and how to eliminate/mitigate it, not this one-size-fits-all stupidity. If the intention of teaching this rig is to reduce the risk of the master point loops all being severed by abrasion against sharp rock edges (which I find highly dubious), or just breaking because someone likes to store old car batteries with their climbing gear, then the proper thing to teach would be how to assess the power point location and rig it so that it doesn’t rub against sharp rock, and how to take care of your gear properly.

(I’m making assumptions about what AMGA is teaching and why, based on what others have said here. Of course, those assumptions may be wrong.)

hugepedro

Aug 22, 2011, 8:13 PM
Post #56 of 252 (9250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rescueman] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
And feeling safer is not the same as being safer. That double-eye master point is likely to triple load your biners. It adds nothing to the security of the anchor, particularly with 11mm static line.

Agree with everything you said there, however, tri-axis loading is not a concern here at all.

dan2see

Aug 22, 2011, 8:51 PM
Post #57 of 252 (9237 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugepedro] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Huge's post is breathes sanity into this chitter-chatter about knots and biners.

I think it's time to stop presenting facts at each other, and to start thinking about boring but safe and simple anchors.

In other words, all you other guys should stop talking and start learning.

blueeyedclimber

Aug 22, 2011, 8:59 PM
Post #58 of 252 (9229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Give me a break, Pedro. We're talking about an extra figure 8. Do you have that little faith in humanity that you think that will complicate things too much.

Like I said in my original post, the chances of a PP hanging over the edge cutting is very slim, but adding that extra figure 8 is simple and does not complicate things in the least.

Remember, the AMGA is all about making things as safe as possible to eliminate as much risk as they can. It's all about institutional climbing. It makes sense for them to have a standard of care. In our recreational climbing, we can make our own decision, cut corners, do whatever we want to do and still know that we can keep ourselves relatively safe.

Josh

sherpa79

Aug 22, 2011, 9:01 PM
Post #59 of 252 (9227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rescueman, static available only in 11 and 13? Huh? I myself have hung off static ropes from 8 to 13 with cores and sheaths of varying construction. I know you've had training in rescue and probably know a lot I don't, but dude, step outside your box once an a while.

And Silly, It's good you've switched to a burlier material for your toproping, but a couple of things come to mind. When joining/extending ropes of different diameters there are far better ways than a loop knot a a clove hitch. Use a biner and be done with it.
Also, the 2 knots on your MP do seem kind of silly to me. Tie a knot for your MP and be done with it. What you have there will work, but not what I would do.

rescueman

Aug 22, 2011, 9:10 PM
Post #60 of 252 (9223 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
tri-axis loading is not a concern here at all.

I disagree.

The two double eyes have vectors about 60° apart and the one on the left is exerting its force very close to the gate hinge rather than the spine, which is what the carabiner is designed for.

If the carabiner should flip around with the wide end toward the anchor eyes, the triple-loading would be increased.

blueeyedclimber

Aug 22, 2011, 9:12 PM
Post #61 of 252 (9221 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
dan2see wrote:
Still, I don't like it.

I will notify the AMGA immediately.

Tongue Josh

OK Josh but you don't have to do that.

The AMGA operates in a foreign country, with its own unique geography, climate, and culture. The community they serve have their peculiar notions about how gear and methods are invented and evolve, and about the role of education and culture.

On the other hand, the ACMG (Association of Canadian Mountain Guides) is responsible for how Guides are trained, not how climbers handle their gear.

I was making a joke. But anyway, there are a lot of ways to set up TR anchors and I've used a lot of them. Replace his 6mm with static line and you have one of the safest and simplest setups out there. I take groups of children climbing all summer and they rarely have to wait very long before they are climbing. But, if you don't like it, then no one says you have to use it.

Cheers!

Josh

bearbreeder

Aug 22, 2011, 9:21 PM
Post #62 of 252 (9217 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
hugepedro wrote:

I disagree.

The two double eyes have vectors about 60° apart and the one on the left is exerting its force very close to the gate hinge rather than the spine, which is what the carabiner is designed for.

If the carabiner should flip around with the wide end toward the anchor eyes, the triple-loading would be increased.

and it still wont kill the person on TR ... just tie the two knots a tad closer if he wants ...

with 2 biners opposed, its not an issue with TR

i do it differently ... but nothing here will kill ya

tons of people interested in telling others what to do Wink

hugepedro

Aug 22, 2011, 9:26 PM
Post #63 of 252 (9215 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
Give me a break, Pedro. We're talking about an extra figure 8. Do you have that little faith in humanity that you think that will complicate things too much.

Like I said in my original post, the chances of a PP hanging over the edge cutting is very slim, but adding that extra figure 8 is simple and does not complicate things in the least.

Remember, the AMGA is all about making things as safe as possible to eliminate as much risk as they can. It's all about institutional climbing. It makes sense for them to have a standard of care. In our recreational climbing, we can make our own decision, cut corners, do whatever we want to do and still know that we can keep ourselves relatively safe.

Josh

I think you missed my point, which was about teaching rote learning vs. thinking.

Having said that, adding that extra 8 adds absolutely zero additional redundancy over just tying them all together in a single 8.

In fact, in the unlikely scenario that the loops of your powerpoint are on an edge (very dumb), then tying two 8s would make it more likely that all 4 strands of the 2 loops would be directly on that edge than it would be if it was all tied into 1 master knot. So you'd actually be increasing the risk of failure (miniscule yes, but still increased) if your student was actually dumb enough to place the power point in such a position.

Unless I'm completely missing something, I see zero benefit in teaching this rig.

rescueman

Aug 22, 2011, 9:30 PM
Post #64 of 252 (9213 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sherpa79] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sherpa79 wrote:
Rescueman, static available only in 11 and 13? Huh? I myself have hung off static ropes from 8 to 13 with cores and sheaths of varying construction. I know you've had training in rescue and probably know a lot I don't, but dude, step outside your box once an a while.

Actually, I never said "only 11 and 13". I said I've never seen any rope manufacturer offer static line in 10.5mm. But they do manufacture static kernmantle from 5/16" (8mm for firefighter escape) to 5/8" (16mm), with the most common being 7/16" (11mm) and 1/2" (13mm).

Yes, I've had training in rescue, and have been a professional rope rescue instructor for more than a dozen years. But my "box" also includes both institutional and recreational top-rope and trad climbing and climbing instruction, vertical caving and cave rescue, white-water rescue, mountain rescue, ice rescue, arborist rescue, back-country search & rescue, and industrial rope rescue.

So it would be hard to get much outside of my "box" when it's so all-encompassing already.

hugepedro

Aug 22, 2011, 9:31 PM
Post #65 of 252 (9212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
hugepedro wrote:

I disagree.

[image]http://swatyy.webs.com/photo.jpg[/image]

Yeah, and a top-rope situation would still never generate enough force to make this even remotely a concern.

rescueman

Aug 22, 2011, 9:38 PM
Post #66 of 252 (9206 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
Yeah, and a top-rope situation would still never generate enough force to make this even remotely a concern.

Using equipment outside the parameters of the manufacturer's design, and specifically in violation of written warnings that accompany such hardware, should always be a reason for concern.

blueeyedclimber

Aug 22, 2011, 9:54 PM
Post #67 of 252 (9195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you missed my point as well, but it seems to me that we are arguing about something that neither one of thinks is a big deal.

Josh

hugepedro

Aug 22, 2011, 9:57 PM
Post #68 of 252 (9192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
I think you missed my point as well, but it seems to me that we are arguing about something that neither one of thinks is a big deal.

Josh

Oh come on, man, why else are we on this site but to argue? ;)

hugepedro

Aug 22, 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #69 of 252 (9189 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
hugepedro wrote:

Using equipment outside the parameters of the manufacturer's design, and specifically in violation of written warnings that accompany such hardware, should always be a reason for concern.

Biners are stamped with a minor axis strength number, and this particular example would not exceed the parameters of that design.

But I totally agree with you in that I wouldn't rig it this way, because its just uselessly silly.

surfstar

Aug 22, 2011, 11:59 PM
Post #70 of 252 (9162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
rescueman wrote:
hugepedro wrote:

Biners are stamped with a minor axis strength number, and this particular example would not exceed the parameters of that design.

But I totally agree with you in that I wouldn't rig it this way, because its just uselessly silly.

and all climbing equipment comes with a warning from lawyers that translates into

"YER GUNNA DIE!"

So I think all types of use are pretty much covered. Unimpressed

(This post was edited by surfstar on Aug 22, 2011, 11:59 PM)

rescueman

Aug 23, 2011, 12:14 AM
Post #71 of 252 (9152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:

Tri-axial loading is very different from minor axis loading (which is typically about 7 kN or a third of major axis strength).

3-way loading of a 'biner is the inverse equivalent of the American Death Triangle. For this reason, no 'biner is stamped with a rated strength for 3-way loading, which is specifically forbidden (and not by lawyers, as surfstar cynically and stupidly asserts, but by design engineers).

bearbreeder

Aug 23, 2011, 12:25 AM
Post #72 of 252 (9147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

an unsupervised anchor "should" have 2 opposed biners ... clip one to one of the bights and the other to the other ... simple ... no tri whatever loading ...

not that id do it that way in general ... but thats up to the OP ... the setup wont kill you on TR

rocknice2

Aug 23, 2011, 12:39 AM
Post #73 of 252 (9133 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
dan2see wrote:
The AMGA operates in a foreign country

Actually it's you who live in a foreign country and have a funny accent. The earth revolves around the US of A, don't ya know?

The AMGA operates in a country that not metric.
They wouldn't know what 6mm looks like.
Wink

The earth revolves around US ...... Aye.

rescueman

Aug 23, 2011, 12:42 AM
Post #74 of 252 (9131 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
an unsupervised anchor "should" have 2 opposed biners
I'm glad you put "should" in quotes, since that's pure bullshit (and pretty funny coming from a guy who thinks we "shouldn't" be giving other people advice).

We used opposite and opposed biners before lockers were available to prevent accidental gate opening. The reason we have locking gates is also to prevent accidental gate opening, so there's no need to carry on an old habit with new gear that serves the same purpose.

Also, as I have already pointed out, placing locking gates in opposition often puts one gate against the rock which can damage it. If you're using doubled 'biners for a wider rope bend radius in top-roping, then the safest way to use lockers is with both spines against the rock and the gates out in space.

In reply to:
... the setup wont kill you on TR
That's a pretty low threshold for rigging. I thought the purpose of this forum was to share better (simpler, more secure, more elegant) ways of doing things.

hugepedro

Aug 23, 2011, 12:44 AM
Post #75 of 252 (9126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
hugepedro wrote:

Tri-axial loading is very different from minor axis loading (which is typically about 7 kN or a third of major axis strength).

3-way loading of a 'biner is the inverse equivalent of the American Death Triangle. For this reason, no 'biner is stamped with a rated strength for 3-way loading, which is specifically forbidden (and not by lawyers, as surfstar cynically and stupidly asserts, but by design engineers).

And the forces in TR still would not be enough to cause any concern whatsoever.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook