Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Acker Rock Monitoring Rappels
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

g_orton

Aug 25, 2011, 6:26 PM
Post #1 of 1 (919 views)
Shortcut

Acker Rock Monitoring Rappels  (North_America: United_States: Oregon: Southern_Oregon: Acker_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

An update on the Acker Rock Monitoring this September 3 and 4. Our plan is to make 300 to 600 foot rappels off Acker Rock and counting the occurance of a rare buckwheat found only on this rock, 10 feet on either side of each rappel.

Friday, Sept 2: Camp at Ash Flat Campground or an alternative campsite if Ash Flat is not available.

Plan: who ever gets to Ash Flat will pay for and reserve 2 campsites in the campground. Directions: Drive to Tiller Ranger Station. From the Tiller Ranger Station cross the South Umpqua bridge and turn right onto Road-48. Stay on road-48 heading north along the South Umpqua for about 18 miles. Ash Flat campground will be on your right next to the river.

If no sites are available the next option will be a remote campsite on Buckeye Creek. Drive about a mile upriver from Ash Flat campground, before reaching the South Umpqua Falls swimming hole to Road-48 (Buckeye Creek). Turn right from road-48 to road-29 and follow road-29 for 0.6 miles to the first bridge crossing buckeye creek. Just before crossing the bridge you will see a side road blocked by boulders on your left that access two remote campsites next to the river.

If this site is taken the next option will be a dry camp on the 800-spur (there is no road number sign). To locate the 800-spur continue up Road-29 (paved) to Road-2839 (there will be a sign directing you up the 2839 to Acker Rock Lookout). Once you've located the 2839 turn around and head down Road-29. The first road you will come to from the junction of Road-29 and 2839 will be the 800-spur (right side). Follow the 800-spur until Acker Rock comes into view where you will find some camping areas to the right under the trees.

We'll plan on placing a sign at the turn off where camp is finally set up. If you are coming from I-5 your last cell phone reception will be from Days Creek.

Saturday, Sept 3: Drive to the trailhead and hike into the Acker Rock Lookout. From there we will make a short climb (5.6) to the end of the Peregrine Traverse, rappel down the chimney, scramble up to the false summit where the register is located, and then rappel and downclimb to predesignated rappel points along the south ridge. We will then make 60m rappels down the southwesterly side of the ridge counting the buckwheat and the distances down then placing the next rappel anchors and repeating until we reach the main walkway were we will regroup and walkout. My hope is that we will be able to make several rappels down both the Southwest and Southeast sides of the ridge.

Equipment to bring:
Drills,
12mm bits (I have 5 extras if anyone needs to borrow one),
Ascenders,
Motorola walkie talk(s)

I'd like us to rappel in teams of two so please bring a partner if you can. Let me know if you still need a partner.

We can also use more climbers without drills to helpout as well, so please pass this along.

Thanks,
greg

(This post was edited by g_orton on Aug 26, 2011, 3:48 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook