RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

TheNags

Aug 31, 2011, 5:07 AM
Post #1 of 17 (5024 views)
Shortcut

Any experienced climbers in socal?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everybody, I am looking for someone to help mentor me in trad, I have already asked about book choice, and thanks to jaques the thread got a little off topic lol. I still appreciate all the input. The person who was supposed to help introduce me to trad fell through, so I am looking for an experienced leader who is willing to let me follow them and pick their brain in exchange for gas money and beer. lemme know if anyone is interested. take care and climb safe!
Steve

jacques

Aug 31, 2011, 2:58 PM
Post #2 of 17 (4986 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TheNags] Any experienced climbers in socal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

TheNags wrote:
Hey everybody, I am looking for someone to help mentor me in trad,

I onsight duet direct recerntly, climbed fugue, andson memorial, dolomite wall, odessey, and many other 5.10 at N.conway. I read all the first six edition olf mountaineering freedom fo the hill, many books in french, many books in english...I am an experience climber???

as a mentor, I bring my partner to there limit, without traumatism. the worse people I can mentor is someone who already have set there limit. They want to do what hey know, without any experience in the cliff. They want to do what they read in a book.

But to be realistic and give the impression that the life of my partner is at risk we must do some think wrong, like a run out, to evaluate the climber. At that moment, it is evident that the reaction of some climber is wrong.

csproul

Aug 31, 2011, 3:10 PM
Post #3 of 17 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TheNags wrote:
... and thanks to jaques the thread got a little off topic...

Hey look, it happened again.

TheNags

Aug 31, 2011, 3:24 PM
Post #4 of 17 (4975 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Any experienced climbers in socal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lol, sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong with the translator. I just wanna get out there and learn, and every time I post something I could swear that jaques finds the meaning to be that I feel as if reading a book somehow mitigates the need for experience. that has been the point of almost all my posts, I don't wanna climb on book knowledge alone, I want to learn from more experienced climbers. Please refer to OP and respond appropriately. Smile

shockabuku

Aug 31, 2011, 3:43 PM
Post #5 of 17 (4968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you get an answer to the subject question yet?

I often wonder the same thing.Wink

jt512

Aug 31, 2011, 4:52 PM
Post #6 of 17 (4944 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jacques] Any experienced climbers in socal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jacques wrote:

as a mentor, I bring my partner to there limit, without traumatism.

He saves the "traumatism" for his readers.

Jay

kennoyce

Aug 31, 2011, 5:11 PM
Post #7 of 17 (4930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now to get this thread back on topic and answer your question, No, there are no experienced climbers in socal.

Hope that I have been more helpful then jaques!

jacques

Sep 1, 2011, 12:58 AM
Post #8 of 17 (4871 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Any experienced climbers in socal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
jacques wrote:

Jay

It look like that I made it!!! I will go a little deeper, taking someone in montoring is also a question of how this person will react.

I climbed with a great climber and I ask him a question. he didn't answer me. I was frustrate. But, as I looked him climbing, he bring me in a situation where I have to understand my question and find a solution. it is recently.

Often, an answer can be good in a situation and not in an other. if an experience climber said some think and you try it... If you succeed, you are good, if you fail...he is bad because he didn't gave you the good answer.

A trad climber always seek for partner. One mentor who know a lot of technique, one partner for hard think, one partner to practice on under limit climb and some climber to climb for fun. so, to find a mentor, go to a cliff... and try to be a good student and listen, look and show what you try to your mentor.

TheNags

Sep 1, 2011, 2:40 AM
Post #9 of 17 (4849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jacques wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jacques wrote:

Jay

It look like that I made it!!! I will go a little deeper, taking someone in montoring is also a question of how this person will react.

I climbed with a great climber and I ask him a question. he didn't answer me. I was frustrate. But, as I looked him climbing, he bring me in a situation where I have to understand my question and find a solution. it is recently.

Often, an answer can be good in a situation and not in an other. if an experience climber said some think and you try it... If you succeed, you are good, if you fail...he is bad because he didn't gave you the good answer.

A trad climber always seek for partner. One mentor who know a lot of technique, one partner for hard think, one partner to practice on under limit climb and some climber to climb for fun. so, to find a mentor, go to a cliff... and try to be a good student and listen, look and show what you try to your mentor.

Can anybody translate this? I tried copy and paste into google translate and it could not detect the language :(

csproul

Sep 1, 2011, 1:49 PM
Post #10 of 17 (4817 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, I don't speak jacques.

(This post was edited by csproul on Sep 1, 2011, 7:13 PM)

blueeyedclimber

Sep 1, 2011, 6:33 PM
Post #11 of 17 (4775 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TheNags wrote:
Hey everybody, I am looking for someone to help mentor me in trad,

I think jacques is applying for the job.

Josh

Kartessa

Sep 5, 2011, 3:16 AM
Post #12 of 17 (4674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TheNags wrote:
jacques wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jacques wrote:

Jay

Can anybody translate this? I tried copy and paste into google translate and it could not detect the language :(

I normally charge $0.02 per word but I'll let you have this one for free...

"It looks like I have succeeded then! I will try to take it farther by taking someone on as their mentor and see how they react.

I once climbed with a great climber and I asked him a question. He didn't answer me. I grew frustrated. But, as I watched him climb, he brought me back to realise that I must understand my own question and find my own answer. This was recently.

Often, an answer can be correct in one situation and incorrect in another. If an experienced climber were to give you an answer and you try it, if it worked, he is good, if you fail... well then he must be bad because he didn't give you the right answer [applicable to your situation].

A trad climber is always looking for new partners, a mentor who knows a lot of techniques, a partner to push yourself with, one to practice under your limit and some climbing partners just to have fun with. So, go get yourself a mentor, go out to the crag... and try to be a good student, and listen, watch and then show your mentor what you have learned."

If you need any more translations, we can discuss paypal.

jacques

Sep 5, 2011, 4:04 AM
Post #13 of 17 (4669 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Any experienced climbers in socal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
I once climbed with a great climber and I asked him a question. He didn't answer me. I grew frustrated. But, as I watched him climb, he brought me back to realise that I must understand my own question and find my own answer. This was recently.

[..]

A trad climber is always looking for new partners, a mentor who knows a lot of techniques, a partner to push yourself with, one to practice under your limit and some climbing partners just to have fun with. So, go get yourself a mentor, go out to the crag... and try to be a good student, and listen, watch and then show your mentor what you have learned.".

You change the sens of the text. Except for these two paragraphe that you translate with the idea of going outside to climb.

In the first paragraphe, I didn't say that I want to be the mentor of anybody, but I want to describe some bad comportment of some "student" against there mentor. On the third paragraphe, it is one of these bad comportment: when a climber did some think good, he is good and when it is bad...it is the fault of is mentor.

As you have been able to correct my text, my english could be understanable, with a lot of mistake.

Kartessa

Sep 5, 2011, 4:55 AM
Post #14 of 17 (4657 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shit, I forgot to correct for the inbreeding.

TheNags

Sep 5, 2011, 5:19 PM
Post #15 of 17 (4633 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Any experienced climbers in socal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the translation kartessa!! I didn't even think of the inbreeding, that adds a whole new level to this. I don't think I can afford your rates though, so I will take my freebie and just stop reading his posts lol.

damienclimber

Sep 8, 2011, 2:35 AM
Post #16 of 17 (4561 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TheNags wrote:
Hey everybody, I am looking for someone to help mentor me in trad, I have already asked about book choice, and thanks to jaques the thread got a little off topic lol. I still appreciate all the input. The person who was supposed to help introduce me to trad fell through, so I am looking for an experienced leader who is willing to let me follow them and pick their brain in exchange for gas money and beer. lemme know if anyone is interested. take care and climb safe!
Steve

you could join the boy scouts- mentors galore

everbrad

Sep 8, 2011, 6:57 AM
Post #17 of 17 (4537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sent you a pm

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook