Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Anyone see the Feud on AZRs Description...HAHA
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

boulderstash

Sep 14, 2011, 2:23 AM
Post #1 of 5 (3167 views)
Shortcut

Anyone see the Feud on AZRs Description...HAHA  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Phoenix_Area)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just thought I’d point it out in case no one else is reading it. I am also curious to see what anyone else has to say. To be fair, I’d say Climbmax is definitely more of a climbers’ gym and even more of a boulderers’ gym. I thought there was a slight contradiction in AZR saying they are more welcoming and non-elitist but they only let professional route setters set routes there. I am curious to know the salary of a professional route setter…? I always thought that the greater inflow of ideas and creativity, the greater variety in the routes. Anyone who loves to climb can envision and set a fun and/or challenging route. I definitely like the idea that people of all levels can contribute. I also was bitched at for spilling chaulk on a crashpad at AZR, not a lot of chaulk either. That really left a bad taste in my mouth. I hate to sound biased, but I do prefer Climbmax for these and several other reasons. Then again I almost always boulder and I don’t have kids, so NO SHIT! Despite that AZR is located where it is and therefore has to cater more to the first timers/birthday party crowd, they do have a nice facility and for all you PRG and Ape Indexers, they are fully air conditioned.

Now to point out the BS in AZR’s description (I work in advertising so I see it all the time). For one day they are pretty much the same so I won’t even bother. For one month paid in full it is $60 at AZR and $45 at Climbmax. If you are a kid, student or government employee (Yuk!) it is only $40 at AZR. It is $35 for students at Climbmax. Climbmax offers a 3 month for $110 or $80 (student). There is no 3 month at AZR but they will do the monthly for $50 if you enroll in EFT, Climbmax also does this but its only $36, $14/month cheaper than AZR. Climax also offers a 6 month which is $210. Climbmax will be happy to sell it to you, but for students 6 months does not save you any money compared to three months unless there is a price change in the respective 6 months. For one year AZR comes in at $500 and Climbmax is only $380. For students it’s $350 at AZR and $305 at Climbmax. One last bit of info to mention is that all of AZR’s prices include gear rental. At Climbmax you would add $10 per month if you need gear. With that said I think it’s fair to say that unless you’re one of the very few who want a membership before having your own shoes or harness, AZR is considerably more expensive. At the same time for the main demographic they serve (people who rent gear) their prices are quite competitive.

Bottom line, if you are serious about your gym time go to Climbmax and avoid AZR. If you are new, not that into climbing, just doing it to supplement other exercise temporarily and live a lot closer...give AZR a shot. If you live on the West side or nowhere near Tempe and/or North Scottsdale…come to Ape and tell Amos you’ll buy a membership when he turns on the AC and finishes the bouldering area! Peaceandtittygrease fellow sendaholicsTongue

jbone

Sep 14, 2011, 4:32 AM
Post #2 of 5 (3133 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boulderstash] Anyone see the Feud on AZRs Description...HAHA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The drama goes way deeper and way further back than you could ever imagine.

The entire Arizona climbing scene has been overloaded thanks to the proliferation of climbing gyms in the last 10 years. If any good could come from such a horrible economy it would be to run half of those gyms out of business.

Save your money for gas and forget the plastic.

(This post was edited by jbone on Sep 14, 2011, 4:33 AM)

boulderstash

Sep 14, 2011, 5:33 AM
Post #3 of 5 (3120 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbone] Anyone see the Feud on AZRs Description...HAHA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If I had a bad ass job like filming climbing...I would. However, I'm one of the poor bastards stuck with a 9 to 5 and need some place that's lit until 9 or 10pm on weekdays. I cant go 5 days without pulling on something. I think we should all import some rocks from abandoned mines or something and dump them on one of these out of business golf courses. Cover it in sand and put up stadium lights. Let the trees grow thick for shade...etc.

jbone

Sep 14, 2011, 5:44 AM
Post #4 of 5 (3114 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boulderstash] Anyone see the Feud on AZRs Description...HAHA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hold on now, I haven't filmed in years. But I understand what your saying, back in the day I couldn't imagine not climbing tues-thurs. So much in fact that it was a main motivator for me to quit my job and move to Hueco.

But something happened when I was there. For the first couple years I was all about setting up a wall at the rock ranch, all the while the other climbers would tell me I was crazy. Then somewhere around year 3 something fully separated me from plastic. As hard as I could try I couldn't get the fever for it that I had so badly before.

I think its the fact that its a regulated environment, kinda like the worst thing about Hueco. Almost makes me feel like I am hanging out in a hospital rather than a climbing scene.

For now the only dreams of plastic I can fathom are having a private wall in my backyard.

boulderstash

Sep 15, 2011, 6:16 AM
Post #5 of 5 (3036 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbone] Anyone see the Feud on AZRs Description...HAHA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear that. It seems like every month I climb I like the gym a little less and the real thing a little more. I used to hate sharp little hand holds and using invisible foot holds...now I feel like I am wasting my time when I'm not on them. Yet, giant slopers that smile back at me are still pretty cool. I guess I probably have a couple years before that wears off. I better make a lot of money in the mean timeCool

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook