RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

TheNags

Sep 19, 2011, 1:27 AM
Post #1 of 4 (2391 views)
Shortcut

First Trad Climb @ Tahquitz
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hi all, I just wanted to say a little something about my first trad trip. I met a guy on this site that was willing to let me follow him, teach me about placements, anchor building ect. I was nervous but we met up in a cosco parking lot and transferred some gear from our cars, and were on our way to tahquitz. I had never been there, was wearing the wrong clothes and flip flops. The approach was a pain in the ass with flip flops, but when we finally got to the base of the crag the view was incredible. We climbed Saraha Terror, a 5.7 8 pitch route that led all the way to the summit. We went over some stuff on the ground (anchors, placements, and commands), and we hit the rock. Once climbing and cleaning I knew trad was for me. The views you see, belaying from a tiny ledge, not having to stop because someone decided that this is where the anchors go, this is the world I want to live in. Even though it was only a 5.7, some of the pitches got a bit burly. I can only imagine what the FA party felt hammering these pitons in some precarious spots. To anyone who sport climbs, and feels that there is something more out there for them, TRAD IS THAT SOMETHING. I know this is rambling, but I find it difficult to put into words the experience of reaching the top of this mountain, knowing we did it ourselves with our own gear. I know you guys understand, and I just felt I needed to share this experience.
TL DR
Tahquitz rock is great. The routes are fun, with good sections of burly and a few where you can take it easy. Linked pitches 5-6 on saraha terror, it made for a nice chimney climb with a few overhangs. Would definitely recommend this route, and would recommend long sleeves and some warmer clothes for the all day shade it gets. if you have a chance it is worth the approach.

TarHeelEMT

Sep 19, 2011, 2:37 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TheNags] First Trad Climb @ Tahquitz [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Awesome!

damienclimber

Sep 21, 2011, 7:22 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TheNags wrote:
Hi all, I just wanted to say a little something about my first trad trip. I met a guy on this site that was willing to let me follow him, teach me about placements, anchor building ect. I was nervous but we met up in a cosco parking lot and transferred some gear from our cars, and were on our way to tahquitz. I had never been there, was wearing the wrong clothes and flip flops. The approach was a pain in the ass with flip flops, but when we finally got to the base of the crag the view was incredible. We climbed Saraha Terror, a 5.7 8 pitch route that led all the way to the summit. We went over some stuff on the ground (anchors, placements, and commands), and we hit the rock. Once climbing and cleaning I knew trad was for me. The views you see, belaying from a tiny ledge, not having to stop because someone decided that this is where the anchors go, this is the world I want to live in. Even though it was only a 5.7, some of the pitches got a bit burly. I can only imagine what the FA party felt hammering these pitons in some precarious spots. To anyone who sport climbs, and feels that there is something more out there for them, TRAD IS THAT SOMETHING. I know this is rambling, but I find it difficult to put into words the experience of reaching the top of this mountain, knowing we did it ourselves with our own gear. I know you guys understand, and I just felt I needed to share this experience.
TL DR
Tahquitz rock is great. The routes are fun, with good sections of burly and a few where you can take it easy. Linked pitches 5-6 on saraha terror, it made for a nice chimney climb with a few overhangs. Would definitely recommend this route, and would recommend long sleeves and some warmer clothes for the all day shade it gets. if you have a chance it is worth the approach.

I hope you gave him a special treat for such a special day, and I don't mean pizza from Costco! Blush

boymeetsrock

Sep 21, 2011, 4:22 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice! I'm hoping to check out Tahquitz for the first time next month.

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook