RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

ecade

Sep 26, 2011, 5:11 PM
Post #1 of 10 (4808 views)
Shortcut

The Greedy Dream - To Ski and CLIMB in the same Vacation
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I live in Toronto, great city, just no mountains :(

I do'nt get much vacation time either. So I'm trying to create the dream vacation for this December/New Years vacation. Ideally one where I can Ski 1 day, climb the next, rinse and repeat for a week or two.

Are there any places in the Canada (doubtful due to cold winters) or USA that have world class skiing, and good sport climbing in close proximity to eachother? This is my first season sport climbing but can/did yesterday climb a 5.11a (1 fall at second crux just below anchors), so anything at around 5.9-11d range is probably ideal, if it has a multi pitch sport route well that is just even more awesome.

Thanks and if I can recipricate with information on climbing or Canoe Tripping (our classic sport) or skiing in Canada let me know I am always happy to assist.

Cheers and thank yous
Eli

ckirkwood9

Sep 26, 2011, 5:27 PM
Post #2 of 10 (4801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ecade] The Greedy Dream - To Ski and CLIMB in the same Vacation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have gone on 3 trips where i've alternated between snowboarding and rock climbing.

Utah:
climbed in little cottonwood canyon
boarded up the road in little cottonwood canyon

South America - Chile
Climbed at Las Pallestras just outside of santiago
Boarded at Valle Nevada, and Cathederal

Vancouver BC
Climbed at Squamish in the spring
Boarded at Whistler

shockabuku

Sep 26, 2011, 5:37 PM
Post #3 of 10 (4798 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ecade] The Greedy Dream - To Ski and CLIMB in the same Vacation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Salt Lake seems like a good option.

Colorado: Shelf Road to Breckenridge is ~2 hrs.

Wyoming: Lander (Sinks Canyon) to Jackson Hole is ~4hrs.

It depends on the day to day weather though.

(This post was edited by shockabuku on Sep 26, 2011, 5:38 PM)

marc801

Sep 26, 2011, 5:37 PM
Post #4 of 10 (4798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ecade wrote:
Hi,

I live in Toronto, great city, just no mountains :(

I do'nt get much vacation time either. So I'm trying to create the dream vacation for this December/New Years vacation. Ideally one where I can Ski 1 day, climb the next, rinse and repeat for a week or two.

Are there any places in the Canada (doubtful due to cold winters) or USA that have world class skiing, and good sport climbing in close proximity to eachother? This is my first season sport climbing but can/did yesterday climb a 5.11a (1 fall at second crux just below anchors), so anything at around 5.9-11d range is probably ideal, if it has a multi pitch sport route well that is just even more awesome.

Thanks and if I can recipricate with information on climbing or Canoe Tripping (our classic sport) or skiing in Canada let me know I am always happy to assist.
Utah has world class skiing and sport climbing in close proximity that enables what you want, but not in the time frame you desire. Dec/Jan is usually too cold and snowy, even for the warm areas in the southern part of the state - but those are 5 hrs. from Salt Lake City and the excellent skiing there. It certainly may be possible to get climbable days in Dec/Jan in American Fork (within 45 minutes of SLC), but nothing that you can reliably plan for**.

In general, there are few areas in the US that are climbable* during Dec/Jan, and those are not near "world class skiing". If you were to move your trip to the second half of March....

Edit to fix missing word and add:

*: climbable for most mortals that dislike frozen fingers and toes.

**: as at least one other poster mentioned, there is always the possibility of a sunny, relatively warm, low/no wind day, but it's not something that you can plan a week-long trip from Toronto against.

(This post was edited by marc801 on Sep 26, 2011, 5:48 PM)

uni_jim

Sep 26, 2011, 5:57 PM
Post #5 of 10 (4785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Two brothers just climbed and skied Mt Robson this summer.

caughtinside

Sep 26, 2011, 6:12 PM
Post #6 of 10 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's pretty easy to do in Mammoth, California. A friend of mine has a family condo there. We do the epic 'Mammoth Weekends' and ski a day on the mountian and then climb 30 miles away in Bishop.

Storms hang up on the mountain, so we'd be bouldering in the Happies in the sun, 60s, with no shirt, and the mountain would be getting nailed with pow. The next day we'd be up there in it. Lots of sport climbing in the nearby Owens River Gorge. That area might be pretty cold in the NY timeframe though.

marc801

Sep 26, 2011, 6:27 PM
Post #7 of 10 (4759 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uni_jim] The Greedy Dream - To Ski and CLIMB in the same Vacation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

uni_jim wrote:
Two brothers just climbed and skied Mt Robson this summer.
I wasn't aware that Robson was a "sport climb in the 5.9 - 5.11d range".

hugepedro

Sep 26, 2011, 6:38 PM
Post #8 of 10 (4750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

New Mexico. Taos & Santa Fe.

The skiing isn't world class in terms of resort size and amenities, but Taos is world class in terms of terrain, in other words, you'd better bring your big boy panties. Ski Santa Fe is a small, local hill, but fun for a day or 2. And there are other small areas within the vicinity for variety, Red River, Angelfire. Only issue is snow is not reliable early in the season, mid to late January would be more of a sure thing than December. But Wolf Creek Colorado is just a couple hours away - most powder in Colorado. So you've got about a half dozen ski areas all within a couple hours or shorter drive.

There are climbing crags all around. Hundres of sport routes in your range. Ski areas and crags all within 45 minutes to 1.5 hour.

Average high temp in Dec/Jan is mid 40's F, on nicer days it will be in the 50's, and with sun on a basalt crag that can be downright cozy. Now if a cold front comes through it will be freezing, but still the odds are good for climable weather.

Plus the whole area is historically unique and beautiful.

djlachelt

Sep 26, 2011, 8:26 PM
Post #9 of 10 (4720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ecade wrote:
Hi,
Are there any places in the ... USA that have world class skiing, and good sport climbing in close proximity to each other?

Hi Eli,
I guess the question is, "how close"? On the Colorado Front Range you are less than 2hrs from great skiing, and within 1hr of great sport climbing in that range.

The last few years I've climbed outdoors every month of the year. You just have to hit the south facing crags at the right time of day. For example, in Boulder Canyon. During December we usually don't get much snow.

Of course, whether you can climb on any particular day (or week) would be iffy. But if you had a couple of weeks, you could get a condo somewhere in the area west of Denver (~1hr from skiing), and then if the day didn't look ideal for climbing go skiing.

Anywhere you go that time of year you might hit a cold-snap... and any amount of sun isn't going to make climbing pleasant. But if you've got skiing as an option then your vacation won't be a bust.

You have a higher chance of good climbing days in December, but the snow may not be so great. In January the weather tends to be colder and more erratic... but you're more likely to have good snow in the high country.

Good luck!

(This post was edited by djlachelt on Sep 26, 2011, 8:27 PM)

bigo

Sep 26, 2011, 9:07 PM
Post #10 of 10 (4701 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] The Greedy Dream - To Ski and CLIMB in the same Vacation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
It's pretty easy to do in Mammoth, California. A friend of mine has a family condo there. We do the epic 'Mammoth Weekends' and ski a day on the mountian and then climb 30 miles away in Bishop.

Storms hang up on the mountain, so we'd be bouldering in the Happies in the sun, 60s, with no shirt, and the mountain would be getting nailed with pow. The next day we'd be up there in it. Lots of sport climbing in the nearby Owens River Gorge. That area might be pretty cold in the NY timeframe though.

Mammoth/Lake Tahoe -> Bishop/Owens seems like one of the better options.

Mt Bachelor and Smith Rock could work depending on weather but the skiing is not world class.

Squamish and Whistler can work in the Spring as also was suggested.

SLC does not seem like a go for climbing in the winter...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook