RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

MarcelS

Sep 26, 2011, 9:35 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1668 views)
Shortcut

Progress and SCC
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Been climbing for around 2 years now, and spent my first year and a half on gaining strength mostly (Since I haven't done any sports before I started climbing). Of course, this means I learned a lot of bad stuff as well, that now takes a lot of effort to change.

A few months ago I noticed that my footwork sucked. Of course I knew this before, but as I started climbing 5.9 and 5.10a, I simply could not manage because of the bad footwork. So I started working on that part, and I made slow progress. Watching better climbers helped a lot as well.

About 6 weeks ago I received an ordered copy of the Self Coached Climber, and am slowly working my way through it. And even though I still have tons to learn from it, the progress made by using the information in that book is very visible. Together with the better footwork, I am now sending my 5.10c and d routes (well, toproping them still mostly, my lead level is 5.9/5.10a). Decided to improve my technique first, before I take a shot at my first 5.11 routes. And of course work through the second half of the book.

Now I only climb 2 times a week in the gym, and and occasional weekend, so I will not be listed on 8a.nu for quite a while, but just wanted to let you know that this SCC book does pay off!

sungam

Sep 28, 2011, 12:20 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1567 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MarcelS] Progress and SCC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good to hear that your training is paying off. SCC is a great book. 2 days a week in the gym is pretty good, really.
How is your outdoor climbing coming along?

MarcelS

Sep 30, 2011, 9:16 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Progress and SCC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Magnus,
This week one of the better (read difficult) route builders did build a nice 6b (5.10c) on an overhanging wall, ending with a few roof moves, and asked me to climb it. Needed a take just before the roof, but for the rest it went perfect, so I am quite happy with the progress :-)

As for the outdoor climbing, I planned one more weekend (in 2 weeks), Germany probably, but for the rest it is pretty hopeless as we do not have rocks here. Sucks major, I need to move!!

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook