RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

ladyscarlett

Sep 28, 2011, 1:58 AM
Post #1 of 25 (16755 views)
Shortcut

Damn, leading is NUTS!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Long post below. Do not read unless massively bored....

It was a beautiful day to gamble...

Looking at the expanses of rock, I felt my crack addiction rise to the potential pleasures of the upcoming hours. The cracks are spread out before me like a fan of cards.

When clueless, I take the advice of friends, and so I take a closer look at the crack my partner describes as ‘5.7 with beautiful solid jams all the way up.’

“I’ve not steered you wrong yet...” I feel this comment is ominous in some way, but he’s right, even if the feeling in the middle of my head doesn’t agree.

Begrudgingly acknowledging the truth of his statement, I look at the wide, flaring crack bottomless crack. Bolstered by the fact I could see to the top of the climb, I’d decided that this was the way up. The pro lent itself towards opportunities to be creative and I was in the mood to test my newbie placing skills.

Armed with a #4 cam, the largest my small hands have ever clenched around, and the promise of almost unbelievably positive features littering the face, I hauled my over- geared self into a crack wide enough to swallow my knees and shoulders .

Having made it through the mind-daunting wide section, I continue upward following tight hands and beautiful flakes with ephemeral confidence...and reality hits. I find myself in a crack that will only take fingers and nuts with a face full of features too smooth to spark any kind of confidence. I flail the nut set at the crack in hopes the right size will somehow magically place itself perfectly.

“um.. narrow side in first for offsets...” I hear from the ground. OFFSETS! How the FUDGE do I place OFFSETS!?!?!? DAMN! I can barely see the shape of each nut as my mind revs into the next gear towards panic.

A nut somehow slides in and tide of panic momentarily eases...until I look up and see nothing to get me out. I have a Leader Moment, when I know there is NO WAY I can be lowered off that nut. I’m on the sharp end with no more slings, all the wrong size cams, a set of fussy nuts, and nowhere to go but up. The prussic and rap rings I keep on my harness as ‘emergency safety gear’ are laughably useless. My sweaty hand clasps the wire of that desperate nut. I am afraid to let go, afraid to clip it with my last loner biner, afraid of the certainty that the nut will lift out of the crack as soon as I move above it, afraid of the tenuous moves that are above me.

I look at the nut, clip my last loner ‘back-up’ biner, give a futile tug, clip my rope and move up.

I top out on that pitch amazed that my mind is in one piece and I’m able to think about setting an anchor with only the rope and 2 racking biners that are all I have left. Breaking my mind and finding some of the residual strength remains unbelievable.

The top has never felt so good.

Damn, leading can be awesome...

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

LS

uni_jim

Sep 28, 2011, 2:08 AM
Post #2 of 25 (16741 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyscarlett] Damn, leading is NUTS!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

thanks for writing!

dan2see

Sep 28, 2011, 3:34 AM
Post #3 of 25 (16687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a beginner leader, so stories like this are great.
Definitely not boring.
Thanks for the pix and stories, LS! Cool

(Edit to add...)
Yes leading is nuts.
My wife and kids don't understand me.

(This post was edited by dan2see on Sep 28, 2011, 3:37 AM)

notapplicable

Sep 28, 2011, 6:26 AM
Post #4 of 25 (16608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Damn, leading is NUTS!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WOO!

sungam

Sep 28, 2011, 8:44 AM
Post #5 of 25 (16592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good post, Scarlett! Glad you didn't death. roflcakes @ offset nutz.

qwert

Sep 28, 2011, 10:43 AM
Post #6 of 25 (16562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pff, its only 5.7 …
run it out!
Tongue

on a less braggy note:Did you really not know what to do with offsets, or was that just a temporary blackout?
Also, how do you manage to start the pitch overgeared, yet even before the end you run out of stuff?
What did you belay off?

Nevertheless, nice story, i guess all of us have been in a somewhat similar situation once (or twice, or thrice, or too often to count…)

qwert

Gmburns2000

Sep 28, 2011, 11:21 AM
Post #7 of 25 (16546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
Long post below. Do not read unless massively bored....

It was a beautiful day to gamble...

[IMG]http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb371/Oldclymr4/092411%20Sasha%20SPH/DSCN0151.jpg[/IMG]

Looking at the expanses of rock, I felt my crack addiction rise to the potential pleasures of the upcoming hours. The cracks are spread out before me like a fan of cards.

When clueless, I take the advice of friends, and so I take a closer look at the crack my partner describes as ‘5.7 with beautiful solid jams all the way up.’

“I’ve not steered you wrong yet...” I feel this comment is ominous in some way, but he’s right, even if the feeling in the middle of my head doesn’t agree.

Begrudgingly acknowledging the truth of his statement, I look at the wide, flaring crack bottomless crack. Bolstered by the fact I could see to the top of the climb, I’d decided that this was the way up. The pro lent itself towards opportunities to be creative and I was in the mood to test my newbie placing skills.

Armed with a #4 cam, the largest my small hands have ever clenched around, and the promise of almost unbelievably positive features littering the face, I hauled my over- geared self into a crack wide enough to swallow my knees and shoulders .

[IMG]http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb371/Oldclymr4/092411%20Sasha%20SPH/DSCN0170.jpg[/IMG]

Having made it through the mind-daunting wide section, I continue upward following tight hands and beautiful flakes with ephemeral confidence...and reality hits. I find myself in a crack that will only take fingers and nuts with a face full of features too smooth to spark any kind of confidence. I flail the nut set at the crack in hopes the right size will somehow magically place itself perfectly.

“um.. narrow side in first for offsets...” I hear from the ground. OFFSETS! How the FUDGE do I place OFFSETS!?!?!? DAMN! I can barely see the shape of each nut as my mind revs into the next gear towards panic.

A nut somehow slides in and tide of panic momentarily eases...until I look up and see nothing to get me out. I have a Leader Moment, when I know there is NO WAY I can be lowered off that nut. I’m on the sharp end with no more slings, all the wrong size cams, a set of fussy nuts, and nowhere to go but up. The prussic and rap rings I keep on my harness as ‘emergency safety gear’ are laughably useless. My sweaty hand clasps the wire of that desperate nut. I am afraid to let go, afraid to clip it with my last loner biner, afraid of the certainty that the nut will lift out of the crack as soon as I move above it, afraid of the tenuous moves that are above me.

I look at the nut, clip my last loner ‘back-up’ biner, give a futile tug, clip my rope and move up.

[IMG]http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb371/Oldclymr4/092411%20Sasha%20SPH/DSCN0177.jpg[/IMG]

I top out on that pitch amazed that my mind is in one piece and I’m able to think about setting an anchor with only the rope and 2 racking biners that are all I have left. Breaking my mind and finding some of the residual strength remains unbelievable.

The top has never felt so good.

[IMG]http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb371/Oldclymr4/092411%20Sasha%20SPH/DSCN0196.jpg[/IMG]

Damn, leading can be awesome...

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

LS

Nice TR, LS. Thanks for sharing! (and yeah, I think we've all been there before)

david_g48

Sep 28, 2011, 1:04 PM
Post #8 of 25 (16513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LS
Thanks for sharing your adventure. It is times like the one that you experienced that make it most memorable. After all if there was no adrenalin rush there would be no thrill factor. In the end you kept it all together and felt the big rush one gets when they top out after a soul searching moment.

blueeyedclimber

Sep 28, 2011, 4:01 PM
Post #9 of 25 (16432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

This probably belongs in Trip Reports, but just a couple comments:

Nice TR. Fun to read, not too long and boring, and the pictures definitely add to it.

I am trying to imagine a scenario where you would use those rappel rings on a single pitch route. Nope. Can't think of one. Cool

Some words of advice: Don't rack gear on your harness that you don't know how to use. Bring more draws. I will often pare down my gear and bring more draws than I think I will need. Don't draw your own confidence (or lack of it) from what other people say. Make your own observations and draw your own conclusions from it.

Josh

jeepnphreak

Sep 28, 2011, 5:13 PM
Post #10 of 25 (16387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the fun read!

caughtinside

Sep 28, 2011, 5:19 PM
Post #11 of 25 (16380 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where is that... SPH?

ladyscarlett

Sep 28, 2011, 6:22 PM
Post #12 of 25 (16342 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Damn, leading is NUTS!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks again for reading and commenting. Strangely enough, I get off on knowing I am instigating a few chuckles Out There.

So

You're right, at '5.7' running it out (which I've done before, being a dangerous n00b climber) is a viable option. After talking to my partner, who'd 'never steered me wrong', I realized I'd followed an alternate route up, taking me out of familiar 5.7 territory. In fact, he'd mentioned it in the moments I veered off course, but I didn't hear him, probably because I had my head up a crack! Blush

Thus, I had sand-bagged myself, which tells me my route-finding skills are crap and I need more practice.

Regarding Offset nuts...I didn't know about putting in the narrow side first, merely text book pictures and the handful (of varying quality) I've cleaned. I know a bad placement and I've played with them in the past, only successfully placed one...once. 5.7 terrain, seemed the ideal situation to work on my offset nut skillz...HAHAHA. Joke's on me!

In regards to being over-geared, I'm a n00b leader, and habitually err on the side of too much. I actually brought an 'extra' cam (trusty green .75) and two additional trad draws (been working on adding more draws to my standard 'kit') as 'personal gear'. Thank goodness! On this occasion, I topped out with the rest of the nuts and one small cam. I set up the anchor off a tree with the rope, and secured myself with racking biners scavenged from the nut set and cam. I will be focusing on have the Right Gear. And remember that it's ok to haul up a bunch of stuff on unknown territory and just deal with the weight. Being well armed lends itself well to success.

Ha! oh well...the path of a n00b leader...

Cheers

LS

ladyscarlett

Sep 28, 2011, 6:25 PM
Post #13 of 25 (16341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Damn, leading is NUTS!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the tip about adding it to trip reports...wasn't sure as it was only one crux amidst a many-pitch day.

Will remember for next time!

Cheers

LS

dbogardus

Sep 28, 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #14 of 25 (16228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Love the butt shots!

Partner rgold

Sep 29, 2011, 12:45 AM
Post #15 of 25 (16187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Mini-epics like this either make you into a trad climber...or convince you to take up golf.

At least you got to the top of your route. Many of my favorite experiences involve minor or major epic failures and hair-raising retreats. In fact, I just wrote an account of one on Super Topo. I won't cross post, but here is a link for anyone who might need to replenish the palm sweat induced by LS here.

http://www.supertopo.com/...afternoon-with-Kamps

ladyscarlett

Sep 29, 2011, 7:26 AM
Post #16 of 25 (16105 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Damn, leading is NUTS!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Isn't it just so purtee?

I think I'm infatuated and have been for a bit...

cheers

ls

blueeyedclimber

Sep 29, 2011, 3:35 PM
Post #17 of 25 (16066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Damn, leading is NUTS!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
Mini-epics like this either make you into a trad climber...or convince you to take up golf.

At least you got to the top of your route. Many of my favorite experiences involve minor or major epic failures and hair-raising retreats. In fact, I just wrote an account of one on Super Topo. I won't cross post, but here is a link for anyone who might need to replenish the palm sweat induced by LS here.

http://www.supertopo.com/...afternoon-with-Kamps

Wow. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Not only have you had some hair-raising experiences, but your recounting of them never ceases to amaze me.

Josh

Partner cracklover

Sep 29, 2011, 5:21 PM
Post #18 of 25 (16025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice TR LS - been there - more than once.

BTW, running out of runners is why I keep my chalk bag on what is essentially a full strength "runner", made from cord, around my waist.

GO

losbill

Oct 2, 2011, 2:16 PM
Post #19 of 25 (15850 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Damn, leading is NUTS!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LS -- Excellent job with both the climbing and the write up! -- Bill

Partner cracklover

Oct 3, 2011, 5:08 PM
Post #20 of 25 (15763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:

BTW, running out of runners is why I keep my chalk bag on what is essentially a full strength "runner", made from cord, around my waist.

GO

Bailed off a climb this weekend. My chalk bag cord made the ultimate sacrifice, and got me down safe to where I could lead over to a rap.

GO

damienclimber

Oct 6, 2011, 11:18 PM
Post #21 of 25 (15584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
cracklover wrote:

GO

Bailed off a climb this weekend. My chalk bag cord made the ultimate sacrifice, and got me down safe to where I could lead over to a rap.

GO

OMG- You bailed off a climb? Which one? Shocked

-----------------------------------------------------------

BTW- Lady Scarlett- Nice write up! where are you climbing, name of climb? thanks

Partner cracklover

Oct 7, 2011, 3:15 PM
Post #22 of 25 (15516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Damn, leading is NUTS!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

damienclimber wrote:
cracklover wrote:
cracklover wrote:

GO

GO

OMG- You bailed off a climb? Which one? Shocked

-----------------------------------------------------------

BTW- Lady Scarlett- Nice write up! where are you climbing, name of climb? thanks

Why this obsession with the names of the climbs LS and I were on? Well whatever - I bailed off the Petit Grepon.

GO

ladyscarlett

Oct 10, 2011, 8:56 AM
Post #23 of 25 (15357 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Damn, leading is NUTS!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't actually know the name of the climb, sorry. It was a 'pick a crack' kind of day.

I found out that the one I picked was a little thin for comfort.

But it sure taught me some good lessons and I learned a little more how to follow the path of magic...I mean friction.

Cheers

ls

stoneguy

Nov 27, 2011, 6:45 PM
Post #24 of 25 (14591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would agree with "really well written". I sure felt like I was right there. Congrats on being gutsy.

spikeddem

Nov 27, 2011, 9:12 PM
Post #25 of 25 (14537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
Armed with a [censored], the largest my small hands have ever clenched around, and the promise of [censored] littering the face . . . enough to swallow. [M]y knees[!]

Yep. Just did that.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook