Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

damienclimber

Oct 6, 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #51 of 57 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Honnold on 60 Minutes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Dude has been crushin it lately. He flashed (solo) Heaven on Glacier Point just the other day.

I did think it was a bit strange for even JL to be pushing the "could die at any moment" angle so hard. I know they have to hype it for a TV audience but he should be able to articulate the uniqueness of the experience in a way that is closer to the truth. Thats the whole point of bringing in an experienced climber to comment on a story like this.

actually, having seen footage of a not-yet-public film with him in it, I'm not surprised that he was chosen. The dude was made for the camera.

Great Inspiration ! thanks

Gmburns2000

Oct 7, 2011, 1:41 AM
Post #52 of 57 (3906 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Honnold on 60 Minutes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

damienclimber wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Dude has been crushin it lately. He flashed (solo) Heaven on Glacier Point just the other day.

I did think it was a bit strange for even JL to be pushing the "could die at any moment" angle so hard. I know they have to hype it for a TV audience but he should be able to articulate the uniqueness of the experience in a way that is closer to the truth. Thats the whole point of bringing in an experienced climber to comment on a story like this.

actually, having seen footage of a not-yet-public film with him in it, I'm not surprised that he was chosen. The dude was made for the camera.

Great Inspiration ! thanks

Again, to be clear, I was talking about John Long. I don't have an opinion one way or another about Honnold's talent for the tube.

Rock-Monkey

Oct 7, 2011, 12:15 PM
Post #53 of 57 (3853 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superchuffer] Honnold on 60 Minutes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got chills just watching that video... it takes a certain kind of person to want to climb that thing in the first place, then a leap forward to want to do it without a rope.

I wonder what he is going to do next.

yanqui

Oct 7, 2011, 3:19 PM
Post #54 of 57 (3813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Honnold on 60 Minutes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
superchuffer wrote:

From the CBS website:

First, a primer: Free solo climbing is the purest form of climbing there is. Climbers use no ropes or tools of anykind, save maybe a chalk bag to combat moisture and some rubber climbing shoes. Very few climbers ever "graduate" to this level, mostly for the obvious reason, that being a horrific death if something, anything should go wrong. You should note this is not "free climbing," which involves safety gear so long as it does not assist with the climb.

Finally! The media is making the distinction between free soloing and free climbing. I can't say how many times some scrambler/hiker/climber has died in a fall, and the media reports, "so and so was free climbing, without a rope."

Beyond that, the segment had no substance. Fat John Long sitting back trying to be the pontificating has-been, inane commentary, it was stupid.

Two questions:

Wasn't this route one of many important first free climbs involving the participation of fat John Long? Therefore, doesn't it seem fitting that he be given the opportunity to deliver the pontificating, has-been, inane commentary for the first free solo, especially considering that the media has finally made the distinction between the two?

PS: the correct answers are yes and yes.

(This post was edited by yanqui on Oct 7, 2011, 3:27 PM)

fredbob

Oct 7, 2011, 6:25 PM
Post #55 of 57 (3753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Honnold on 60 Minutes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Beyond that, the segment had no substance. Fat John Long sitting back trying to be the pontificating has-been, inane commentary, it was stupid.

Not that Largo needs defending...

But, if John is fat, then I'm obese. Last I saw John, he was still pursuing pretty hardcore Mountain Unicycling and working out harder than I do.

And, yes, it is more than fitting that John be the climbing commentator since he was on the FFA of the route and has a climbing resume that most would consider unimpeachable.

But, as a washed-up, never was been, maybe I'm way off base.

notapplicable

Oct 7, 2011, 7:46 PM
Post #56 of 57 (3731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fredbob] Honnold on 60 Minutes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

fredbob wrote:
camhead wrote:

Not that Largo needs defending...

But, if John is fat, then I'm obese. Last I saw John, he was still pursuing pretty hardcore Mountain Unicycling and working out harder than I do.

And, yes, it is more than fitting that John be the climbing commentator since he was on the FFA of the route and has a climbing resume that most would consider unimpeachable.

But, as a washed-up, never was been, maybe I'm way off base.

Wait, thats really a thing? Your not messng with me, people do that?

**Searches Youtube for "hardcore mountain unicycling"**

OH SNAP! And I'm not saying it's not badass, because it looks pretty intense, but just that phrase "hardcore mountain unicycling"...BWAHAhahahahaha...Thats gold, Jerry. Gold!

JasonsDrivingForce

Oct 12, 2011, 5:21 AM
Post #57 of 57 (3520 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Honnold on 60 Minutes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The most important thing I got out of the 60 minutes piece was that atleast 3 people I know watched that episode to see Andy Rooney's farewell.

None of them mentioned what Andy Rooney did or said. However, all of them asked me if I saw the piece on the guy who climbs without a rope.

Whether good or bad for the sport, it definitely put climbing in the spotlight for 60 minutes.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook