Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ken21il

Oct 16, 2011, 11:51 PM
Post #26 of 32 (2722 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Ski Mtneering: where do i go from here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ok.. about silverton- i knew i wouldn't be visiting there anytime soon. I had read a couple things to know it was for the expert only. About unemployment- i cant get a job hence unemployment.. i work for a union and have also been looking outside the union with no luck and no unemployment isnt paying for anything i'm simply looking for some advice and training ideas. With all the time off i planned to make good use of it. Thanx for all the posts guys keep the fresh ideas coming.

vencido

Oct 17, 2011, 2:43 AM
Post #27 of 32 (2714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aprice00] Ski Mtneering: where do i go from here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:
How about out to find a job. Why am I the first one on this?

You are aware that there is a slight economic downturn at the moment? That some people are finding it slightly more difficult than usual to find steady employment?

Anyways, I'm not sure how getting a job would make him a better skier.

He just needs to reprioritize. Like, skiing > beer money

hugepedro

Oct 18, 2011, 9:51 AM
Post #28 of 32 (2684 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Ski Mtneering: where do i go from here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
hugepedro wrote:
Did I say it was instructional?
You referred to it as a "backcountry program", which often implies some kind of instruction, and we're talking about an OP who is actually seeking either instruction or advice on how to learn. Just wanted to clarify that Silverton is merely a guide service.

I implied no such thing. You inferred, incorrectly, and assigned an incorrect meaning to the word "program".

pro•gram   /ˈproʊgræm, -grəm/ Show Spelled [proh-gram, -gruhm] Show IPA noun, verb, -grammed or -gramed, -gram•ming or -gram•ing.
noun
1. a plan of action to accomplish a specified end: a school lunch program.
2. a plan or schedule of activities, procedures, etc., to be followed.
3. a radio or television performance or production.
4. a list of items, pieces, performers, etc., in a musical, theatrical, or other entertainment.
5. an entertainment with reference to its pieces or numbers: a program of American and French music.

I said in my post that he should be advanced to expert before he even thinks about going backcountry, and the OP clearly understood this.

hugepedro

Oct 18, 2011, 10:00 AM
Post #29 of 32 (2682 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ken21il] Ski Mtneering: where do i go from here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ken21il wrote:
ok.. about silverton- i knew i wouldn't be visiting there anytime soon. I had read a couple things to know it was for the expert only. About unemployment- i cant get a job hence unemployment.. i work for a union and have also been looking outside the union with no luck and no unemployment isnt paying for anything i'm simply looking for some advice and training ideas. With all the time off i planned to make good use of it. Thanx for all the posts guys keep the fresh ideas coming.

Don't sweat the critics. But, if you really want to get into ski mountaineering you need to be somewhere other than Illinois. With your job situation, maybe now is an opportune time to make a move? Ski resorts are always hiring lift workers, or other workers. Benefit - you can meet and drink with the ski patrollers and get them to teach you some avy skills. Just sayin, if this is something you really want to do then you probably have to make a big change in your location.

aprice00

Oct 19, 2011, 6:05 PM
Post #30 of 32 (2650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugepedro] Ski Mtneering: where do i go from here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
ken21il wrote:

Don't sweat the critics. But, if you really want to get into ski mountaineering you need to be somewhere other than Illinois. With your job situation, maybe now is an opportune time to make a move? Ski resorts are always hiring lift workers, or other workers. Benefit - you can meet and drink with the ski patrollers and get them to teach you some avy skills. Just sayin, if this is something you really want to do then you probably have to make a big change in your location.

Ok so I started typing this and was going to be a dick and ream you about your decisions on this but then I realized that I would in fact be acting a dick and ultimately its your choice to do what you will.

So in order to offer some constructive criticism and expand on my previous comment ...The way I see it is that by having unemployment you have the gift of time, and in an economic downturn with job scarcity you have the opportunity to go back to school or find some type of career minded training. That way you have a better chance of competing for the few jobs that are out there. If not you are using the system and increasing the expense on others. Unemployment is paid by the government who charges employers a tax. The taxes are tiered and are determined by the amount of benefits the employer is responsible for paying out. Finally I’m not sure about this but I would imagine that a part of the benefits come from income taxes especially in a time with 9% unemployment. Now if you are looking at ski mountaineering courses as job training I say go for it. Where you could start, is by finding out what options are out there and picking a direction.

atg200

Oct 20, 2011, 3:01 PM
Post #31 of 32 (2613 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by atg200 [In reply to]
Report this Post

Partner chugach001

Apr 5, 2013, 2:41 AM
Post #32 of 32 (2267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atg200] Ski Mtneering: where do i go from here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So, OP, how'd you do this winter?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook