RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Rmsyll2

Oct 26, 2011, 2:08 PM
Post #1 of 19 (3094 views)
Shortcut

The death of climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well, reports of such death are of course exaggerated; but I'm not seeing the crowds where I climb that the spectacular weather would suggest. That has been true all fall, compared to last spring. I'm wondering if the combination of gas prices and slumped economy is making it too expensive to leave the gym. I am seeing, however, a lot of new ropes and bright quickdraws, so intentions are not lagging among the truly committed.

There also seems to be more of older people, both joining in the meet-up groups and coming back to climbing instead of buying a Harley. There is even a guy who wears black dance tights! And his rack is like a museum display. Somehow, life and climbing go on, of course.

TarHeelEMT

Oct 26, 2011, 2:58 PM
Post #2 of 19 (3042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rmsyll2] The death of climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

As long as folks are still mailing checks to the access fund... woohoo!

lena_chita

Oct 26, 2011, 3:05 PM
Post #3 of 19 (3035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Far from death. I think it is the opposite. You are probably climbing in an area that is not very spectacular, so everybody who can is taking advantage of the good weather to take a road trip right now.

They are all probably hanging out at the Red right now, if the crowds there are any indication.

njrox

Oct 26, 2011, 3:21 PM
Post #4 of 19 (3016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here in PA/NJ/NY the usual places still have the usual crowds. I try to avoid the established and popular crags on the weekends, saving my sick/vacation days to visit them on a quiet weekday. Otherwise I don't mind a little hiking and route finding to make the day more adventerous. There's a lot of gems off the beaten path.

donwanadi

Oct 26, 2011, 3:41 PM
Post #5 of 19 (2994 views)
Shortcut

Re: [njrox] The death of climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

njrox wrote:
Here in PA/NJ/NY the usual places still have the usual crowds. I try to avoid the established and popular crags on the weekends, saving my sick/vacation days to visit them on a quiet weekday. Otherwise I don't mind a little hiking and route finding to make the day more adventerous. There's a lot of gems off the beaten path.

Mind sharing? Just starting outdoors and the Gunks are cool and all but waiting for routes blows.

njrox

Oct 26, 2011, 4:01 PM
Post #6 of 19 (2970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donwanadi] The death of climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Near the Gunks? Check out The Powerlinez. NJ gyms carry the guidebook. Bring a brush and a machete!

LostinMaine

Oct 26, 2011, 4:25 PM
Post #7 of 19 (2947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donwanadi wrote:
njrox wrote:

Mind sharing? Just starting outdoors and the Gunks are cool and all but waiting for routes blows.

Climb something other than a 3 star classic past Shockley's and the crowds dwindle fairly quickly, especially above 5.8. Or, climb the gunks on weekdays and drive to the 'dacks on weekends.

marc801

Oct 26, 2011, 4:44 PM
Post #8 of 19 (2926 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:
Well, reports of such death are of course exaggerated; but I'm not seeing the crowds where I climb that the spectacular weather would suggest. That has been true all fall, compared to last spring.
Do you climb anywhere other than Pilot Mtn? A single data point is useless for drawing conclusions.

csproul

Oct 26, 2011, 4:47 PM
Post #9 of 19 (2924 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] The death of climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Far from death. I think it is the opposite. You are probably climbing in an area that is not very spectacular, so everybody who can is taking advantage of the good weather to take a road trip right now.

They are all probably hanging out at the Red right now, if the crowds there are any indication.
We have a winner.

erick

Oct 26, 2011, 5:33 PM
Post #10 of 19 (2889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Slumped economy? Never would have guessed. Seems like every other climber in j-tree is driving a new shiny car... Maybe everyone else is just hitch hiking.

sknowlton

Oct 26, 2011, 8:25 PM
Post #11 of 19 (2793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LiM beat me to it. There are hundreds of routes at the Gunks---what are you wating for? 2 minutes past the Stairmaster and you're basically by yourself.

And there's always Millbrook...

damienclimber

Oct 26, 2011, 8:51 PM
Post #12 of 19 (2768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:
Well, reports of such death are of course exaggerated; but I'm not seeing the crowds where I climb that the spectacular weather would suggest. That has been true all fall, compared to last spring. I'm wondering if the combination of gas prices and slumped economy is making it too expensive to leave the gym. I am seeing, however, a lot of new ropes and bright quickdraws, so intentions are not lagging among the truly committed.

There also seems to be more of older people, both joining in the meet-up groups and coming back to climbing instead of buying a Harley. There is even a guy who wears black dance tights! And his rack is like a museum display. Somehow, life and climbing go on, of course.

Hmmn nice title- or we can add on
"death from climbing" then no more life! Shocked

tH1e-swiN1e

Oct 26, 2011, 11:20 PM
Post #13 of 19 (2681 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] The death of climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing is at an all time high. Consider yourself lucky not being bombarded with crowds.

budman

Oct 27, 2011, 4:08 PM
Post #14 of 19 (2523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] The death of climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Dude I think lena chita is baiting you into telling you where you climb. Don't do it. Mark my words she'll tell two people then they'll tell two people then there will be 2 to the N power of people climbing at your crag.

Gave it some thought about what you are witnessing and came up with some theories. One there is a break in the fabric that holds the universe together at your crag. Someone that doesn't like you paid a witch in Fayetteville W Va to put a curse on you and your crag, a buddy of yours found Doc's plans for the Flux Capacitor and bought a Delorean and headed Back to the Future and disrupted the space time continuum, in your favor I think. Or it's just dumb luck.

Suggest that you keep this to yourself and your partners and enjoy. If people find out sooner than later the shit, tp, garbage, fees, access issues, circus atmosphere, etc. will show up sooner than later.

p.s. climbing ain't dead by a long shot

csproul

Oct 27, 2011, 4:36 PM
Post #15 of 19 (2513 views)
Shortcut

Re: [budman] The death of climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

budman wrote:
Hey Dude I think lena chita is baiting you into telling you where you climb. Don't do it. Mark my words she'll tell two people then they'll tell two people then there will be 2 to the N power of people climbing at your crag.

Gave it some thought about what you are witnessing and came up with some theories. One there is a break in the fabric that holds the universe together at your crag. Someone that doesn't like you paid a witch in Fayetteville W Va to put a curse on you and your crag, a buddy of yours found Doc's plans for the Flux Capacitor and bought a Delorean and headed Back to the Future and disrupted the space time continuum, in your favor I think. Or it's just dumb luck.

Suggest that you keep this to yourself and your partners and enjoy. If people find out sooner than later the shit, tp, garbage, fees, access issues, circus atmosphere, etc. will show up sooner than later.

p.s. climbing ain't dead by a long shot
Too late...he's a Pilot Mtn local. The circus atmosphere hit long ago.

budman

Oct 27, 2011, 5:54 PM
Post #16 of 19 (2475 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] The death of climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry never climbed there when I lived back east. The circus atmosphere can be amusing for a while, very short while.

I have a few suggestions to ward off these little annoyances, at least here in the desert.

1- Climb in the heat of the summer
2- Climb in the dead of winter
3- Approaches over 1 mile leave many still at the car
4- Approaches over 6 mile leave even more at home
5- Climbing where there is civil unrest or violence (like
the cartel problems south of the border) (most people are afraid of there own shadow)

Like to live life a bit tongue in cheek, climbing is just too much fun any other way for me. I don't take my climbing too seriously except for safety.

Climbing at Red Rocks this weekend. Going to keep the approaches to over an hour to thin the crowds.

rtwilli4

Oct 27, 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #17 of 19 (2380 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing in NC so I wouldn't know. The climbing here sucks and most people would rather just stay inside.

guangzhou

Oct 28, 2011, 12:38 AM
Post #18 of 19 (2349 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] The death of climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
I've been climbing in NC so I wouldn't know. The climbing here sucks and most people would rather just stay inside.

Heehee, i agree, so of the worse climbing in the world there. Wink

johnwesely

Oct 28, 2011, 1:03 AM
Post #19 of 19 (2333 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] The death of climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

Heehee, i agree, so of the worse climbing in the world there. Wink

Everything is chossy, kitty litter granite and is low angle. Climbing in North Carolina is the worst "best kept secret" I have ever seen.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook