Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Question: Climbing Seasons
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

circa86

Oct 28, 2011, 4:37 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2668 views)
Shortcut

Question: Climbing Seasons  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Roped_Climbing: New_River_Gorge_Region)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I live up North in Rochester,NY. Winter is rolling in and I need somwhere to climb. I have been looking into NRG for a while. What is the temperature like here and what months are possible for climbing. Can you climb here in say, November through March? As always any advice is appreciated.

lena_chita

Oct 28, 2011, 6:41 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [circa86] Question: Climbing Seasons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

NRG is definitely not a "winter climbing destination"

November is usually pretty good, esp at the beginning of the month, and March is usually quite good esp towards the end of the month. But it can be chancy. You could get crisp temps in high40s/low 50s, and sun, or you can get rain and snow.

So while it is sometimes possible to climb on south-facing cliffs on a good sunny winter day, if you are local and can go any day you want between the snow and the rain, I definitely would not pick NRG as a destination to spend a week or two in December-February, and would be careful committing weeks in advance to a specific weekend even in November/March. If you have the flexibility to go when the weather is good, then you are very likely to find good climbable days in November and March.

Partner j_ung

Oct 31, 2011, 3:40 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2517 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Question: Climbing Seasons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
NRG is definitely not a "winter climbing destination"

November is usually pretty good, esp at the beginning of the month, and March is usually quite good esp towards the end of the month. But it can be chancy. You could get crisp temps in high40s/low 50s, and sun, or you can get rain and snow.

So while it is sometimes possible to climb on south-facing cliffs on a good sunny winter day, if you are local and can go any day you want between the snow and the rain, I definitely would not pick NRG as a destination to spend a week or two in December-February, and would be careful committing weeks in advance to a specific weekend even in November/March. If you have the flexibility to go when the weather is good, then you are very likely to find good climbable days in November and March.

I live here and I agree with that. Winters tend to be cold and snowy or cold and wet. If you're into bouldering, you'll find a lot more to keep you interested. Likewise if you're climbing higher-end sport routes, for example hard 12 and above.

rtwilli4

Oct 31, 2011, 3:54 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2511 views)
Shortcut

Re: [circa86] Question: Climbing Seasons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also agree w/ lena and j. If you have a reason to be in Fayetteville over winter, you can find days to climb. But unless you are prepared to carefully watch the weather and drive down for a sunny day here and there, I'd take it off your radar after Nov.

They are, however, COMPLETELY draining Summersville Lake this winter. They do it once every 10 years, and there will be a lot of clean boulders available this winter that are usually under water.

For winter areas w/in driving distance, you need to head to NC, and even then it would be nice to have a flexible schedule as it can be wet and cold for days/weeks at a time.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook