RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

Masterkush

Nov 1, 2011, 6:35 AM
Post #1 of 8 (3609 views)
Shortcut

Turning city owned property into a public climbing spot
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im sorry if this is the wrong location for this post but Im curious as to what the process would be to turn a private area (owned by the city im sure) into a public place that climbers can regularly go to. I live in the San Fernando valley, anyone who is familiar with the area has heard of Box Canyon Im sure, and me and some buddies went to scope out these 200 foot faces in the canyon, we kinda had to hike through someones unfenced backyard before we could start the approach (which is a measly 15 minute hike through some pretty intense brush) But we want to start rappelling off the face, get some routes set up and start cleaning the area out and make it more accessible. Do you think this would be a really hard task to accomplish? Not the cleaning and setting part, just getting the city to acknowledge the spot and allow people to go there

sonso45

Nov 1, 2011, 3:21 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3521 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Masterkush] Turning city owned property into a public climbing spot [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never done it but you may want to do a map search to find the owners of the land. Both the access and crag. Start there, it may be on public land with no access due to property restrictions.

Good luck

atdrennen

Nov 1, 2011, 4:31 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] Turning city owned property into a public climbing spot [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If it were me, first thing I would do is see if the county has a GIS website. Google the county name and GIS. If they do you will be able to pull up parcel maps and get info on the subject property as well as potential access routes.

Now that you have the parcel numbers and addresses of interest, the county tax assesor's web page can usually tell you who owns the land.

Let me know if you have some questions

atdrennen

Nov 1, 2011, 4:38 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atdrennen] Turning city owned property into a public climbing spot [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What are some coordinates for the area?

jt512

Nov 1, 2011, 7:11 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3419 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Masterkush] Turning city owned property into a public climbing spot [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Masterkush wrote:
Im sorry if this is the wrong location for this post but Im curious as to what the process would be to turn a private area (owned by the city im sure) into a public place that climbers can regularly go to. I live in the San Fernando valley, anyone who is familiar with the area has heard of Box Canyon Im sure, and me and some buddies went to scope out these 200 foot faces in the canyon, we kinda had to hike through someones unfenced backyard before we could start the approach (which is a measly 15 minute hike through some pretty intense brush) But we want to start rappelling off the face, get some routes set up and start cleaning the area out and make it more accessible. Do you think this would be a really hard task to accomplish? Not the cleaning and setting part, just getting the city to acknowledge the spot and allow people to go there

According to your profile, you've been climbing for only four months, so my suggestion would be to contact one of the local experienced route developers for advice. If, as you say, the area is well known, there is likely to be a good reason why it hasn't been developed. Please talk to knowledgeable locals before you proceed further.

Jay

Masterkush

Nov 1, 2011, 9:06 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3374 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Turning city owned property into a public climbing spot [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Masterkush wrote:

According to your profile, you've been climbing for only four months, so my suggestion would be to contact one of the local experienced route developers for advice. If, as you say, the area is well known, there is likely to be a good reason why it hasn't been developed. Please talk to knowledgeable locals before you proceed further.

Jay

Well my profile hasn't been updated in quite some time. Ive been climbing for a little over a year now, but the guys i climb with are all very experienced and knowledgeable. I wouldn't put myself in a situation that i thought i couldn't control.

And thank you to for the info from everyone else, Ill start looking into property lines and go from there.

Masterkush

Nov 3, 2011, 3:37 AM
Post #7 of 8 (3268 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tried looking up the county name with GIS and it just shows a bunch of random things that have nothing to do with property lines or anything and the coordinates for chatsworth are 34°15′26″N 118°36′04″ If that helps at all. No matter what i type in i cant seem to find a map or boundry/property lines or anything close to it at all.

teo916

Nov 3, 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3194 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've only done this once as a final project for a map and navigation class. This was about 15 years ago, but I'd imagine the process is still about the same. It basically involved checking the local property records at the county office to find out who owned the property, then contacting them for access. Luckily for us, the lady who owned it was very nice and thought that it was great that we wanted to enjoy this unused part of her property.

If it really is city owned I'm not as sure then, try to make contact through city hall maybe?
Or you could try the access fund: www.accessfund.org

Cheers,

-Teo

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook