Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cuchulainn1856

Nov 4, 2011, 6:02 PM
Post #1 of 35 (9940 views)
Shortcut

AMGA Certifications-Finance Difficulties
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I've been climbing for about 6 and a half years now, and I'm getting closer to the prerequisite requirements for taking the AMGA Guide Certifications. Hoping to pick the brains of anybody who is either enrolled in the program currently, wishing to enroll also, or is currently RIC or higher certified. Currently my resume includes about 10 or so Grade III length multipitch climbs (50 required to take the course), up to 5.9+ in difficulty, in single pitch I climb up to 510c on trad, 5.11d/5.12a on sport, current First Aid certs, highly comfortable with most anchor/belay setups, and all the required knots/hitches. I'm 22, climb between 1-4 days a week (while working full time in an outdoor retailer), and fit. My questions are 1), how does one prove the required number of ascents at said grade and height, 2) what training (physical and technical) should I be pursuing to continue myself and be better prepared for the course, and 3) is there currently any sponsorship/scholarship for financial aid to poor but passionate climbers. It's been a dream of mine to guide since about year 3 or 4 of climbing, and I'll do anything to make that dream a reality. To those who say the financial returns of this profession are measly at best, I'm highly aware, and those that become climbing guides obviously don't do so for the cash. It's a passion and a lifestyle to spend all of ones time on the rock, in the mountains, making sure others have a safe, fun experience in the best rock and alpine settings possible. Any help highly appreciated!

marc801

Nov 4, 2011, 7:03 PM
Post #2 of 35 (9861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cuchulainn1856] AMGA Certifications-Finance Difficulties [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cuchulainn1856 wrote:
So I've been climbing for about 6 and a half years now, and I'm getting closer to the prerequisite requirements for taking the AMGA Guide Certifications. Hoping to pick the brains of anybody who is either enrolled in the program currently, wishing to enroll also, or is currently RIC or higher certified. Currently my resume includes about 10 or so Grade III length multipitch climbs (50 required to take the course), up to 5.9+ in difficulty, in single pitch I climb up to 510c on trad, 5.11d/5.12a on sport, current First Aid certs, highly comfortable with most anchor/belay setups, and all the required knots/hitches. I'm 22, climb between 1-4 days a week (while working full time in an outdoor retailer), and fit. My questions are 1), how does one prove the required number of ascents at said grade and height, 2) what training (physical and technical) should I be pursuing to continue myself and be better prepared for the course, and 3) is there currently any sponsorship/scholarship for financial aid to poor but passionate climbers. It's been a dream of mine to guide since about year 3 or 4 of climbing, and I'll do anything to make that dream a reality. To those who say the financial returns of this profession are measly at best, I'm highly aware, and those that become climbing guides obviously don't do so for the cash. It's a passion and a lifestyle to spend all of ones time on the rock, in the mountains, making sure others have a safe, fun experience in the best rock and alpine settings possible. Any help highly appreciated!

Most anchor setups?

For the second bolding, add:
....mostly doing the same routes over and over with a never ending stream of newbies asking the same questions and making the same mistakes.

I know of one long time guide in the Gunks who has done the same 200' 5.6 over 1000 times.

csproul

Nov 4, 2011, 7:37 PM
Post #3 of 35 (9838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] AMGA Certifications-Finance Difficulties [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
cuchulainn1856 wrote:

Most anchor setups?

For the second bolding, add:
....mostly doing the same routes over and over with a never ending stream of newbies asking the same questions and making the same mistakes.

I know of one long time guide in the Gunks who has done the same 200' 5.6 over 1000 times.
Why is it that people at RC.com will shit on anyone's ambition to do most anything?

marc801

Nov 4, 2011, 7:51 PM
Post #4 of 35 (9827 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] AMGA Certifications-Finance Difficulties [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
Why is it that people at RC.com will shit on anyone's ambition to do most anything?
Perhaps because we think it's a good idea for people to fully realize what they might be getting into. It's usually easy to see the glamor - sometimes not so much the down side. With the OP, it might be handy to realize those things if they hadn't considered them already, before the time, $$$, and effort required for an AMGA cert. That might even be construed as caring about a fellow climber. But if someone has a negative attitude, I can see how they might feel that pointing out the potential drawbacks is shitting on someone's ambitions.

cuchulainn1856

Nov 4, 2011, 8:13 PM
Post #5 of 35 (9809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Meh, it's not that I mind guiding the same route over and over, the point behind getting my rock certs is so I can work as a rock guide long enough to get Alpine certs (Ice Instructor, Alpine Guide, Advanced Alpine Guide Course, and Alpine Guide Exam). And by most anchors, I meant my snow anchors need work. All rock and ice anchors I've got down pat, and have used on a variety of rock types and gear types. I already work with all the newbie climbers in our area, as I've been climbing at all the area crags and worked on developing additional lines in the region for a couple years now, so answering the same beginner questions over and over doesn't really phase me anymore, plus when you guide multi-pitch, you lead!

(This post was edited by cuchulainn1856 on Nov 4, 2011, 8:15 PM)

njrox

Nov 4, 2011, 8:22 PM
Post #6 of 35 (9795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good for you. good luck!!!

csproul

Nov 4, 2011, 8:25 PM
Post #7 of 35 (9793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
csproul wrote:
Perhaps because we think it's a good idea for people to fully realize what they might be getting into. It's usually easy to see the glamor - sometimes not so much the down side. With the OP, it might be handy to realize those things if they hadn't considered them already, before the time, $$$, and effort required for an AMGA cert. That might even be construed as caring about a fellow climber. But if someone has a negative attitude, I can see how they might feel that pointing out the potential drawbacks is shitting on someone's ambitions.
And I'm sure, with all your guiding experience, you are well qualified to tell the OP what he'd be getting into?

You know damn well that yours was not a caring post meant to "inform" the OP about the pluses and minuses of guiding. You simply wanted to dump on guiding as a profession. There is a pretty good possibility that some guides might even enjoy teaching new climbers while climbing the same 200ft. 5.6 over 1000 times!

blueeyedclimber

Nov 4, 2011, 9:35 PM
Post #8 of 35 (9745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cuchulainn1856 wrote:
1), how does one prove the required number of ascents at said grade and height

As far as I know, they do not require any more than your word. It's pretty much just an arbitrary number that they believe someone who has done them will have a certain amount of prerequisite experience to take the course.

Josh

tscampbell

Nov 4, 2011, 9:51 PM
Post #9 of 35 (9731 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as far as the financial situation goes, i have been working on setting up the GI bill to put me through it, it's always an option, might take a little while to earn, but i'll let you know if it works out for me.

marc801

Nov 4, 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #10 of 35 (9718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] AMGA Certifications-Finance Difficulties [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
And I'm sure, with all your guiding experience, you are well qualified to tell the OP what he'd be getting into?

You know damn well that yours was not a caring post meant to "inform" the OP about the pluses and minuses of guiding. You simply wanted to dump on guiding as a profession. There is a pretty good possibility that some guides might even enjoy teaching new climbers while climbing the same 200ft. 5.6 over 1000 times!
Actually, I did enjoy that particular route every time I did it with newbies, back in the day. I had another friend who tried guiding and despised it after a year because of the repetition. Some take well to that, and some do not.

johnwesely

Nov 4, 2011, 11:06 PM
Post #11 of 35 (9706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
csproul wrote:

Actually, I did enjoy that particular route every time I did it with newbies, back in the day. I had another friend who tried guiding and despised it after a year because of the repetition. Some take well to that, and some do not.

What route?

Gmburns2000

Nov 5, 2011, 12:27 AM
Post #12 of 35 (9678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First, good luck. Second, I'm not a guide nor have I gone through the process, but I do happen to know a little bit about a couple of your questions. If I'm wrong, then my apologies, but at least this will get you thinking about things.

- Regarding financial aid: I'm pretty sure it is available, but to what extent I don't know. You'll have to go to the AMGA website to see for yourself.

- Regarding the resume: What Josh said above ^^, it's a trust factor, but the thing is that they are going to know if you haven't done them. These types of routes require a certain proficiency, whether that be rope management for speed or exiting the belay at a hanging belay. So if you haven't done it then they're going to know. I think the requirements are more about being sure that you have the mileage and not about the actual climbs.

- Future training: don't you have to have a few grade IV and V routes under your belt, too? Also, you need mock guide trips as well (where you guided a client up a route). Take a look at the requirements again and focus your training on what you still need to accomplish / learn. And oh yeah, find out which routes are typically used for the tests in certain areas (Epinephrine in Red Rocks, for instance), and go climb those beforehand.

Gmburns2000

Nov 5, 2011, 12:28 AM
Post #13 of 35 (9675 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] AMGA Certifications-Finance Difficulties [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
marc801 wrote:
csproul wrote:

What route?

If it's in the 'Gunks then I'm betting it's the first pitch of Arrow.

guangzhou

Nov 5, 2011, 12:51 AM
Post #14 of 35 (9663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

cuchulainn1856 wrote:
So I've been climbing for about 6 and a half years now, and I'm getting closer to the prerequisite requirements for taking the AMGA Guide Certifications. Hoping to pick the brains of anybody who is either enrolled in the program currently, wishing to enroll also, or is currently RIC or higher certified.
Good luck with your goal and don't let the nay sayers bring you down. PLenty of people here are unhappy with the life they currently live and will do what ever they can to bring you down.

In reply to:
Currently my resume includes about 10 or so Grade III length multipitch climbs (50 required to take the course), up to 5.9+ in difficulty, in single pitch I climb up to 510c on trad, 5.11d/5.12a on sport, current First Aid certs, highly comfortable with most anchor/belay setups, and all the required knots/hitches. I'm 22, climb between 1-4 days a week (while working full time in an outdoor retailer), and fit.

Strong already on the right route. Not sure where you climb, but definatley on track.

In reply to:
My questions are 1), how does one prove the required number of ascents at said grade and height,

You write it on your resume/application packet. Like most things in the climbing world, it's a trust based system.

In reply to:
2) what training (physical and technical) should I be pursuing to continue myself and be better prepared for the course, and

You can buy a copy of the guide handbook on the AMGA website. Some good info in there. Become a supporting member while you're at it.

In reply to:
3) is there currently any sponsorship/scholarship for financial aid to poor but passionate climbers. It's been a dream of mine to guide since about year 3 or 4 of climbing, and I'll do anything to make that dream a reality.

A few financial options, but difficult. A couple of college offer the courses now, so you could use some funding from the various educational program out there. You work outdoor retail, do you store also own or operate a climbing gym or guide service. If so, maybe they can help with some cost.

In reply to:
To those who say the financial returns of this profession are measly at best, I'm highly aware, and those that become climbing guides obviously don't do so for the cash. It's a passion and a lifestyle to spend all of ones time on the rock, in the mountains, making sure others have a safe, fun experience in the best rock and alpine settings possible. Any help highly appreciated!

A hard lifestyle, but I ran my own guide service in the South East for awhile, sold it before moving to Asia. Had three guides making good money, a full-time secretary working on the business, and me, all earning very good money. Guiding is a business, how much a guide and guide service makes is based on several factors.

I am now reopening a guide service in South East Asia.

Again, don't let the nay sayer get you down. I currently own a climbing gym and teaching first time climbers everyday. I can think of many worse ways to make a living.

Cheers

guangzhou

Nov 5, 2011, 12:54 AM
Post #15 of 35 (9661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Almost forgot, you don't need to be AMGA certified to work and get experience with various guide service. Strat looking aorund for who needs guides, even if it's just part-time.

Vietnam Guides needs one for sure if you're willing to work in Vietnam. It will give you a tastes of what teaching climbing is. Who knows, you may like Asia and create your own very profitable business in the region. Just take the first step.

coastal_climber

Nov 5, 2011, 1:28 AM
Post #16 of 35 (9646 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] AMGA Certifications-Finance Difficulties [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep in mind that the "minimum" grades are just that: the minimum.

Not sure how it is with the AMGA, but the ACMG requires a "minimum" and all the examinees i've talked with say they thought the "minimum" was substantially lower than what was actually expected of them.

food for thought....

johnwesely

Nov 5, 2011, 2:01 AM
Post #17 of 35 (9630 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] AMGA Certifications-Finance Difficulties [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:

A hard lifestyle, but I ran my own guide service in the South East for awhile, sold it before moving to Asia. Had three guides making good money, a full-time secretary working on the business, and me, all earning very good money. Guiding is a business, how much a guide and guide service makes is based on several factors.

How did you manage to make a living guiding in the South East?

guangzhou

Nov 5, 2011, 3:06 AM
Post #18 of 35 (9608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] AMGA Certifications-Finance Difficulties [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Guiding is a business like any other business. As a guide service, we provided two things. A service and an experience.

How did I make money, simple:

I created a program that catered to the local environment and local interest. (Not at all my interest to be honest, but what people were willing to pay for.

I identified various potential groups,organization, and target market. Developed programs to meet their needs and interest.

I identified people and organizations that needed our services for long the term. Create programs that met their needs needs.

Created a community of people who like doing things together, a local climbing club more or less, then create various programs/trips to cater to their needs.

Aggressive marketing of our various programs using targeted approach.

Market research, identify potential markets, create programs that meet their specific needs, market to them.

They are plenty of markets that need to be developed from a rock climbing guide service point of view in the South East today. The issues I see with most small start up guide service is they are all fighting for the same piece of the pie instead of looking at the rest of the meal.

Making money with a climbing guide service is no different than making money with any other business. Identify a potential user of your service,create a program that meets their needs/desire, market to that group specifically. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

socalclimber

Nov 5, 2011, 3:55 AM
Post #19 of 35 (9586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll give you the low down from my opinion and experience.

AMGA Certs do not make a guide.

As far as guiding goes, here are some points to think about.

A friend of mine once told me "Robert, of the top 5 things that make a good guide, climbing is number 6 on that list". What he was saying is very true. Guiding is about risk assessment, risk management, people skills, handling groups, leadership etc. Your first and foremost primary job is the clients safety. Oh, and you'd better add patience to the top of your list of skills required. You're gonna need it.

While there are specialty guide schools, most tend to operate in two categories:

1) Classes. These start with "Rock Climbing 101" and "Intermediate" style classes etc. There is a curriculum that you will be working with. Get used to it!

2) Private Guiding. This is a combination of what the client(s) want, versus what your assessment of their abilities are in terms of what you deliver. I can't count the number of times I get clients that want to do hard routes only to find them floundering on 5.6's. Your job is to make sure they get the most bang for their buck. Sometimes I get people who actually want to learn more than just climb. These are my personal favorites. I'm then free to structure the day in manner that suits them best. Sometimes you just end up dragging them up routes.

Whether you have you certs or not, be prepared to be bottom man on the totem pole with whatever school you go to work for. Most likely if the school is reputable you'll just be a belay slave for large groups while the senior guide(s) run the show. Be prepared to sit by the phone waiting for the call to work. In the beginning they can be few and far between. There are some very fly by night schools who will hire anybody regardless of their skills. Watch out for those.

Some schools will require you to take their "guide training course" before you go out on your own. Some don't. For me, it was come out for a morning, watch what I do. That was about it, two days later I got a call, "you're working tomorrow". It totally depends on the school.

As far as gear goes, some schools supply everything. Not here in Joshua Tree. The boss supplies shoes, helmets, and harness's. We provide the rest. I have a number of static and dynamic ropes that are for guide work only. I keep my personal ropes separate. This is the general rule around here. Your area may be different.

Here are a few more things to consider. You have a private for the day. They just want you to drag them up routes all day long. Are you prepared to solo all day? I hope so, because that's exactly what you are doing. You cannot count on the client to give you a safe belay.

Guiding is not an easy job. Expect long hours. Tomorrow myself, and two other guides have 18 boy scouts for the day who want their climbing merit badge. I'll be out at the crag by 6:30am. We meet them at 8:00am. My guess, we will work till at least 3:00pm and then have another 1/2 hour to 45 minutes of cleanup. Then we have to take all the shoes, harness's, and helmets back to the boss's house and check it all in. With any luck, we'll all be home somewhere around 5:00pm.

I have know idea what Sunday holds in store for me.

This is the job. Sometimes I know a few days in advance of work, sometimes I get calls at 10pm at night for the next morning. I even get calls at 6:00 in the morning. This is my primary income. It's not easy, but frankly, I love it. I do other forms of work to help supplement my income.

I honestly don't think your really ready based on your post. This is not an insult, but rather my observations. Your best bet is to get too know some long term guides in your area and ask them to show you some of the "ropes".

Also, you'd better know the area you're hoping to guide in. I can promise you, regardless of your super secret AMGA decoder ring, you ain't getting hired in an area you don't have wired.

I wish you the best of luck! Guiding is a great job, but it is just that, a job. Trust me, you're not getting paid to climb all day.

guangzhou

Nov 5, 2011, 4:26 AM
Post #20 of 35 (9568 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] AMGA Certifications-Finance Difficulties [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
I'll give you the low down from my opinion and experience.

AMGA Certs do not make a guide.

As far as guiding goes, here are some points to think about.

A friend of mine once told me "Robert, of the top 5 things that make a good guide, climbing is number 6 on that list". What he was saying is very true. Guiding is about risk assessment, risk management, people skills, handling groups, leadership etc. Your first and foremost primary job is the clients safety. Oh, and you'd better add patience to the top of your list of skills required. You're gonna need it.

While there are specialty guide schools, most tend to operate in two categories:

1) Classes. These start with "Rock Climbing 101" and "Intermediate" style classes etc. There is a curriculum that you will be working with. Get used to it!

2) Private Guiding. This is a combination of what the client(s) want, versus what your assessment of their abilities are in terms of what you deliver. I can't count the number of times I get clients that want to do hard routes only to find them floundering on 5.6's. Your job is to make sure they get the most bang for their buck. Sometimes I get people who actually want to learn more than just climb. These are my personal favorites. I'm then free to structure the day in manner that suits them best. Sometimes you just end up dragging them up routes.

Whether you have you certs or not, be prepared to be bottom man on the totem pole with whatever school you go to work for. Most likely if the school is reputable you'll just be a belay slave for large groups while the senior guide(s) run the show. Be prepared to sit by the phone waiting for the call to work. In the beginning they can be few and far between. There are some very fly by night schools who will hire anybody regardless of their skills. Watch out for those.

Some schools will require you to take their "guide training course" before you go out on your own. Some don't. For me, it was come out for a morning, watch what I do. That was about it, two days later I got a call, "you're working tomorrow". It totally depends on the school.

As far as gear goes, some schools supply everything. Not here in Joshua Tree. The boss supplies shoes, helmets, and harness's. We provide the rest. I have a number of static and dynamic ropes that are for guide work only. I keep my personal ropes separate. This is the general rule around here. Your area may be different.

Here are a few more things to consider. You have a private for the day. They just want you to drag them up routes all day long. Are you prepared to solo all day? I hope so, because that's exactly what you are doing. You cannot count on the client to give you a safe belay.

Guiding is not an easy job. Expect long hours. Tomorrow myself, and two other guides have 18 boy scouts for the day who want their climbing merit badge. I'll be out at the crag by 6:30am. We meet them at 8:00am. My guess, we will work till at least 3:00pm and then have another 1/2 hour to 45 minutes of cleanup. Then we have to take all the shoes, harness's, and helmets back to the boss's house and check it all in. With any luck, we'll all be home somewhere around 5:00pm.

I have know idea what Sunday holds in store for me.

This is the job. Sometimes I know a few days in advance of work, sometimes I get calls at 10pm at night for the next morning. I even get calls at 6:00 in the morning. This is my primary income. It's not easy, but frankly, I love it. I do other forms of work to help supplement my income.

I honestly don't think your really ready based on your post. This is not an insult, but rather my observations. Your best bet is to get too know some long term guides in your area and ask them to show you some of the "ropes".

Also, you'd better know the area you're hoping to guide in. I can promise you, regardless of your super secret AMGA decoder ring, you ain't getting hired in an area you don't have wired.

I wish you the best of luck! Guiding is a great job, but it is just that, a job. Trust me, you're not getting paid to climb all day.

Wow, are we still on rockclimbing.com. great post and advice. An honest first hand account of how things work.

Love the "secret Decoder Ring" phrase too.

Fly by night guide services are even more plentiful in South East Asia.

Great post.

skiclimb

Nov 5, 2011, 2:47 PM
Post #21 of 35 (9490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Been years since I guided or paid much attention to how the certifications are used or gained.

But basically certification or not No-one is going to be a true professional guide until they have spent time assisting for a while. There is way more to guiding than being a climber, or being a people person. Being mentored is basically the only way.

Back when I guided someone like the OP would often be hired as an apprentice/assistant. Possibly paid but just as likely not.. might get lunch or a beer at the end of the day. Or for multi-day/expedition stuff no pay but expenses covered.

As time went on an assistant would gain pay and responsibilities or might lose interest in being a guide But if they stuck around and gained the experience and trust of the other guides and owner they eventually get to lead singles or lead groups on their own.

I would think this is still the case even with certification.

Back then the best way to get into guiding was to get to know the guides in your local area and if you really wanted to be a guide they would generally open the door to you and help you get started.

I doubt certifications have changed that very much. Other than being a basic step one must go through.

Guess I'm curious if this is more or less how things still tend to work? Or if some cert is generally required before you are allowed near clients these days. dunno.

-----------------------

PS as to the OPs question on assistance for certifications. Solid established guide services often helped their guides get needed training. My employers brought in the AMGA to get us certified, helped cover costs for medical training and such. Your local service may or may not do the same.

But get over there and find out what they want and how to get in is my advice.

(This post was edited by skiclimb on Nov 5, 2011, 5:28 PM)

cuchulainn1856

Nov 5, 2011, 4:17 PM
Post #22 of 35 (9453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] AMGA Certifications-Finance Difficulties [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good to know, thanks for all the advice! All of that sounds great; I have done some mock guiding (multi and single pitch) and actually loved it. They are now accomplished promising climbers that I see regularly and are now a core part of our area's climbing community. I will continue doing all the things you suggested. The problem with doing the go-to-the-local-guide-service-right-now thing though is that the closest is at least 4 hours away and I and my girlfriend live together (serious relationship- uhoh) and I can't just pick up and leave because she is currently still in school. Our plan is to move out west (CO, WA, etc) once she has graduated (next spring is the anticipated date) and I would have liked to have the qualifications prior to going, but if most services will do a bring-you-along-as-you-go type program AND offer financial assistance, that might be the better route to go.

(This post was edited by cuchulainn1856 on Nov 5, 2011, 4:19 PM)

jmeizis

Nov 5, 2011, 5:01 PM
Post #23 of 35 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

To answer your questions:

1. You don't have to prove your ascents, they'll know when you get on the course if you haven't done them because you'll look like the gumby in the group. If your skills are way below par you may actually be asked to leave the course.

2. Climbing and guiding/mock guiding is your training. Being capable of building good anchors and placing adequate gear is something they'll really be looking for in the RIC. For other courses risk assessment/management, efficiency, and extreme competency with technical ropework in 5th, 4th, and 3rd class terrain is expected.

3. You can apply for scholarships. Check the AMGA website after you register. Sign up for the newsletter and you'll get an e-mail eventually saying they're accepting scholarship applications. I've taken the SPI, RIC, and RGCAE. Haven't gotten a scholarship yet. If you pay for your SPI cert you can get hired at a guide service. Reputable guide services will most likely help you out with your training either by helping you with the skills or financially. That's a good indicator of how important they think your skills are.

That being said. If you really want to be a guide then get your SPI and start working for a guide service that requires that as a minimum. Most good, legitimate guide services will require this. Someone said that an AMGA cert doesn't make you a guide and I would agree with the caveat that it sure helps.

Don't let your enthusiasm blind you to your lack of skills. I made that mistake, it sucks and it takes a while to unlearn bad habits from dumb people. I got hired to a guide service run by someone who knew barely more than I did. They looked at my resume, interviewed me, then said have at it. They assumed a level of competency that I didn't have and never checked in to see how things were going or if things could be improved. I didn't know any better and I know I did things that made the day move more slowly and things that endangered my life. They didn't care because they were in it for the money.

There is a big difference between most AMGA guides (certified or in the process) and not. Most people will have a good time with an uncertified guide and some are very skilled but with few exceptions people will have a much higher quality experience with a certified guide.

Guiding is most certainly a job. Just like any job your employer can range from incompetent, money grubber, to helpful, mentoring, workhorse. If you decide to start applying to guide services it's up to you to figure out where that place lies on the spectrum. Also, if you show up for an interview and the first thing your potential boss does is take you drinking...run.

blueeyedclimber

Nov 5, 2011, 9:39 PM
Post #24 of 35 (9370 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] AMGA Certifications-Finance Difficulties [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
marc801 wrote:
csproul wrote:

What route?

If it's in the 'Gunks then I'm betting it's the first pitch of Arrow.

200 ft 5.6? Uhhh, try High E. Tongue

socalclimber

Nov 5, 2011, 11:41 PM
Post #25 of 35 (9351 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] AMGA Certifications-Finance Difficulties [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

"There is a big difference between most AMGA guides (certified or in the process) and not. Most people will have a good time with an uncertified guide and some are very skilled but with few exceptions people will have a much higher quality experience with a certified guide. "

Sorry, but this is total crap.

(This post was edited by socalclimber on Nov 5, 2011, 11:42 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook