RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

SunChasing

Nov 22, 2011, 11:42 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Thailand sport climbing, Winter 2011-12. looking for partners/advice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Climbers!!

I'm planning a solo trip to Thailand to sport climb over December and January, 2011-12.

I'm looking for climbing partners.. I lead up to 5.13- (7c+ and hopefully harder this trip!) I like more vertical, crimpy routes than bouldery routes since I have a shoulder injury.

Also, I'm looking for advice on where to go, where to fly in, what next, where to meet partners, If i should reserve hostels or just take it day by day...

I'm more into the 'climb hard and relax' scene than the party scene. Also, as a single female, I want to be safe! this is a very unplanned trip so any thoughts are appreciated!

thanks!!

(This post was edited by SunChasing on Nov 23, 2011, 3:22 AM)

SunChasing

Nov 23, 2011, 12:54 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2140 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SunChasing] Thailand sport climbing, Winter 2011-12. looking for partners/advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

also, should I bring (on the flight) a rope and draws? must it be a dry rope? Or should
In reply to:
I leave those at home?

v2sender

Nov 23, 2011, 1:44 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2128 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SunChasing] Thailand sport climbing, Winter 2011-12. looking for partners/advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hello. I just sent you a message but it looks like our travel dates might not match up. What day do you arrive?
Logistics are really easy and I am sure there are lots of beta on the net. Fly into Krabi airport then take a taxi to Ao-nang ( 2 years ago there were still no shared shuttles into town). Then take a longtail boat to Tonsai (hard to miss the boats). Walk around and find a place to stay. Its best to just ask for rates and availability. If your staying a while you can negotiate a bit depending on vacancy. I would bring all your gear since that will make it easier to find partners. A good route you may want to try is Asia shadow play,not too steep and its crimpy. I didnt red point it but it is soft for the grade : )

Good luck!
Steve

SunChasing

Nov 23, 2011, 2:22 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2116 views)
Shortcut

Re: [v2sender] Thailand sport climbing, Winter 2011-12. looking for partners/advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hi Steve,
thanks for your thoughts. I haven't booked flights yet... I'm considering Dec 13ish - Jan 16ish... but I'm flexible. Another question, I know Tonsai is the place to go, but I'm wondering where else I should go in thailand considering my solo situation, safety concerns, and preference for vertical routes. I'm trying to figure this out tonight as I have an appointment with the travel clinic tomorrow for vaccinations. apparently, i should get different vaccinations depending on where I go in thailand.

Alyssa Smile

v2sender

Nov 23, 2011, 2:47 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Alyssa. If you can make it to Thailand on the 10th or eleventh that would be great. I do have a bit of flexibility with dates so let me know what you decide. Tonsai is the main area and there are lots to do but most of the harder climbs tend to be steep.
There are plenty of near vertical stuff in the mid 11 to 12 minus range. I am sure you wont be bored. There is also a new crag inland from Tonsai that I really want to check out. Looks very good with 30 or so climbs and not polished yet. I think its accessible with public transport not too far from Ao-Nang. In Thailand the area around Ao-Nang is the only place worth going to for climbing, in my opinion. I have been up North to Chang Mai and its really not worth it especially for an advanced climber. I can give more detail or direct you to some decent web sites with more info. The area around the climbing is well developed and I dont think most people get any type of vaccination. Maybe better safe than sorry. Let me know if ya have any more question.

Steve

GarethX

Nov 27, 2011, 4:11 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi there

I am from South Africa and i am travelling to Thailand from the 24th Dec 2011 to 31st Jan 2012 (5 weeks).

I am looking for climbing partners for Phi Phi island, Railay and Koh Yao Noi.

If you are interested please email me:
neldiamonds@absamail.co.za

thanks

BryanC

Jan 2, 2012, 3:21 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got back from a week in Railay in October. The shuttle to the pier (bus then minibus) from Krabi Airport was only 100 baht, maybe 150. The girls will wave to you as you pick up your luggage, can't miss it.Once at the pier it was maybe another 100 to get to Railay West by longtail. They may charge more in high season, so don't be shocked if it is.

A lot of climbers stay on Tonsai Beach, probably for the cheaper accomodations there. You'll easily find climbing partners there if you still need one. Especially if you have a rope. Otherwise, you can rent one anywhere.

East Railay is a pretty cool place to stay too, with lots of climb shops there, pretty chill vibe.

I don't know about the grades you're looking for, but there's a few guide books you can get once you're there. Pop into any decent climb shop and they'll help you out.

Have fun! I'm jealous!

(This post was edited by BryanC on Jan 2, 2012, 3:22 AM)

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook