Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

shellc0de

Dec 3, 2011, 7:42 PM
Post #1 of 27 (11222 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in the cold?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's almost officially winter, and in Maryland it's not too cold yet, but getting there, I was wondering what effects cold temperatures have on the metal and nylon used in climbing, if any. Only problem I can think of is that my hands would loose blood or something and I wouldn't be able to grip the rock, haven't tried it yet (hence beginner forum) but wondering what other people do when its cold out (other than goto an indoor gym because I have a membership)

I know theres alpine and ice climbing but I didn't know if there was specific ropes or anything you have to buy specifically for low temperatures.

Thanks

(This post was edited by shellc0de on Dec 3, 2011, 7:44 PM)

jamesnater

Dec 3, 2011, 9:01 PM
Post #2 of 27 (11198 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shellc0de] Climbing in the cold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bring Hand warmers. For sure.

gblauer

Dec 3, 2011, 9:08 PM
Post #3 of 27 (11189 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For me, anything below 38 degrees and my fingers get too cold to climb. I also think that my feet tend to skate on cold rock. The rubber on my shoes gets hard and they don't seem to grip the rock as well.

My line is 38 degrees. I climbed yesterday in 45 degrees, partial sun and it was fine. It was too cold for me today (39) and I played with wood piles instead. I intend to climb tomorrow, we are expecting 50 degree weather.

shockabuku

Dec 4, 2011, 1:34 AM
Post #4 of 27 (11136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your gear will be fine in any temperature (hot or cold) in which you can stand to climb.

amyas

Dec 4, 2011, 2:06 AM
Post #5 of 27 (11120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbed up here in the Canadian rockies a couple weeks back when it was around -5 (25 or so F). Single pitch sport only and didn't notice any gear acting any differently than it did in the summer. Many use the same ropes year round for rock and ice and no one I know has had any problems. As for the shoes, a little bit of bleach on a rag, wipe the soles and 5.9/5.10 slab is a dream, I think they stick better than in hot weather after the bleach.

smallclimber

Dec 4, 2011, 2:34 AM
Post #6 of 27 (11108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amyas] Climbing in the cold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You Canadians are tough! Don't your hands freeze?

amyas

Dec 4, 2011, 2:43 AM
Post #7 of 27 (11104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smallclimber] Climbing in the cold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Belay with mitts on, and climb fast! Also make sure your partner knows youre not just going for a hike before you leave, 1 jacket and 1 shell between 2 people doesnt cut it below freezing. Lesson learned the hard way Pirate

bearbreeder

Dec 4, 2011, 3:29 AM
Post #8 of 27 (11083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bring

- belay jacket
- belay glove
- softshell or fleece to climb in
- beanie
- thick socks or booties
- food and water ... And force yrself to eat and drink

Just got back from climbing in 35-40F temps in squamish today ... Friction was awwwwwwsuuuum

amyas

Dec 4, 2011, 4:34 AM
Post #9 of 27 (11070 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Climbing in the cold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you expect it to stay that warm there for the next couple weeks? Or is it rain all day season there now?

bearbreeder

Dec 4, 2011, 5:06 AM
Post #10 of 27 (11054 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amyas] Climbing in the cold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Amyas

Its a total cr@pshoot ... Were getting th usual dec dry spell ... But that can change on a dime

Im heading out tmr n mon

After that it may stay below freezing ... Thats a tad too cold for me on cracks

My feet were starting to go numb and the hands were losing heat in the jams today ... There was very little sun to warm up the rock ...

jae8908

Dec 4, 2011, 5:07 AM
Post #11 of 27 (11053 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

don't worry about hand warmers. wasted space. just piss on them when they get cold.

eric_k

Dec 4, 2011, 3:18 PM
Post #12 of 27 (10998 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jae8908] Climbing in the cold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If there is sun on the face I have climbed in temps down to 20 and been quite comfortable, if there is little or no sun 40 is about my limit (unless I am bouldering). No special gear need, I do find handwarms in your chalk bag can help though.

lena_chita

Dec 4, 2011, 6:29 PM
Post #13 of 27 (10956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

As others have said, your gear will be fine.

You'll have to discover your own cold-weather limits. The coldest I've climbed (bouldered) was 25F and shady. That was too cold. But in the sun, rock warms up quickly, and you can be surprisingly comfortable. I like having the hand warmers in my gloves when hiking to the crag, and it is nice to keep one in the chalk bag, if you use one, or in a pocket.

Marylandclimber

Dec 4, 2011, 7:49 PM
Post #14 of 27 (10932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb/live in MD and the rock at Rocks State Park has been getting cold. Put a hand warmer in your pockets or chalk bag.

sungam

Dec 5, 2011, 9:25 AM
Post #15 of 27 (10827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Your gear will work fine providing there is not frost or ice in the cracks. Cams rely completely on friction, and the can and do pop out of dirty/frosted/icy cracks under low loads.

May I be so bold, however, to recommend bouldering?

rangerrob

Dec 7, 2011, 3:04 PM
Post #16 of 27 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Climbing in the cold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Or ice climbing

billcoe_

Dec 7, 2011, 3:28 PM
Post #17 of 27 (10616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shellc0de wrote:
It's almost officially winter, and in Maryland it's not too cold yet, but getting there, I was wondering what effects cold temperatures have on the metal and nylon used in climbing, if any. Only problem I can think of is that my hands would loose blood or something and I wouldn't be able to grip the rock, haven't tried it yet (hence beginner forum) but wondering what other people do when its cold out (other than goto an indoor gym because I have a membership)

I know theres alpine and ice climbing but I didn't know if there was specific ropes or anything you have to buy specifically for low temperatures.

Thanks

Well, for men, the obvious issue if you dress like a normal rockclimber, is that the cold permeates your very soul and being. This causes your testicles to pull up in your body to try and stay warm. In fact, when it gets real bad, they will jam up in your throat right behind your tongue. As this is the normal location for them when you are afraid doing hard trad in the cold and not being scared shitless is close to impossible with out a cock sock (google it!) and/or a warming pad.

...or you can dress warmly and then it's fine. The best description I've seen is RC.Com user Healyje. He has a whole program that is way amazing and you should search it because it's that good, but basically he swallows a niacin pill, tapes handwarmers to the inside of his wrists, and has a sequence of specific layers.....I suspect that unlike the rest of us, his balls remain normal and stay put.

So if you are belaying me some cold day and I start yelling down msfhhhfvnurf lasuful and kind of gibberish, I may have a way word testicle up in my mouth.

Ah hah, found it here, almost 5 years to the day he posted it. I think he's changed the clothing a bit, maybe he'll see this and update the list for you. http://www.rockclimbing.com/...acin%20cold;#1497928 and here's the full meal deal:

healyje wrote:
Ok, beside suffering I do the following which works great (and I've been out doing 5 pitch routes three times this week in 40-50kt winds and temps from 29-38 degrees).

I sport tape an air-activated hand warmer pouch to the underside of each wirst. I then take two more of the same, but the ones with sticky on the back for shoes, and stick them to the inside palms of thin fingerless gloves with grip on them.

If it's really cold I'll also stick two big ones in my coat pockets. I then take two tabs of niacin which forces your blood to your extremeties and past the warmers on your wrists. Don't do the niacin if you haven't eaten or aren't sufficiently clothed as you only want to do the niacin if you can sustain your core temp. Works for me.

Edit: The rest of the ensemble is Rolf "fuzzer" tights under a stout, but looser Sport hill pant/tights. On top I wear a UnderArmor Cold Mock Tee (Makes it all work almost seems like a wet suit top), a North Face Momentum Shirt, and a Marmot Photon jacket. Under the helmet I have then cap and you could stick a warmer on the top of that as well if you wanted to go crazy.

(This post was edited by billcoe_ on Dec 7, 2011, 3:42 PM)

damienclimber

Dec 7, 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #18 of 27 (10538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

shellc0de wrote:

Thanks

Thailand vacation instead? Angelic

stoneguy

Dec 8, 2011, 4:25 AM
Post #19 of 27 (10501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Climbing in the cold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We are still trying to drag out the climb, so I'm layering up on the long johns. I like the idea of winter boots, so you can slip shoes & all inside while you wait, thin & thick gloves. Plan to try the warmer packet inside the chalk bag.
Your advice... I planned to bring along a 50ft hemp rope that I can afford to lose, and just leave it for an assist at the downclimb, as it can be muddy and slippery at the edge Any better idea's. It will be about 34F here ,so it's chilly.
The rubble at the bottom when wet or snowy will be treacherous.... any idea's. Thanks

tolman_paul

Dec 9, 2011, 12:34 AM
Post #20 of 27 (10418 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stoneguy] Climbing in the cold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Embrace the cold

I have climbed in the 20's, on South facing rock that had been warmed by the sun for a few hours. It wasn't too bad, but I ended up slipping on a wet patch at the top of the route and tearing the meniscus in my knee.

If you're not in the sun, then I'd say upper 30's low 40's is about it, though I've climbed on a foggy day in the low 40's that was downright miserable. Just don't push it too hard.

Old pieces of carpet work fairly well at the base of routes to keep your shoes clean and wipe them off when they get dirty.

swoopee

Dec 17, 2011, 3:52 AM
Post #21 of 27 (10128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I find that once the temp drops below freezing, I do a lot of whining and crying, so it's not a lot different from climbing when the temp is greater than freezing. Blush

shellc0de

Dec 17, 2011, 9:11 PM
Post #22 of 27 (10095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [swoopee] Climbing in the cold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

With all the new gear I asked for, I dunno how I'll be able to stop myself from going out, but it has been warm these past weeks in maryland, even in december...

Co1urzz

Dec 18, 2011, 2:08 AM
Post #23 of 27 (10056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing shoes/spare socks against bare chest under clothes.

Greggle

Dec 18, 2011, 4:43 AM
Post #24 of 27 (10014 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Co1urzz] Climbing in the cold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Co1urzz wrote:

Pardon?

sungam

Dec 19, 2011, 12:30 PM
Post #25 of 27 (9917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Greggle] Climbing in the cold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Greggle wrote:
Co1urzz wrote:

Pardon?
On the walk in and between routes - it keeps your climbing shoes and socks warm so it is more comfortable to put them on. Definitely kinda weirdly worded.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook