Opinions on Rap Rings or Rigging Rings as a Masterpoint
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ablanchard17

Dec 7, 2011, 3:52 AM
Post #26 of 28 (761 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Pamason91] Opinions on Rap Rings or Rigging Rings as a Masterpoint [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In fact using rap rings would technically be safer. but the added safety isnt really worth the pain in the ass. Because in reality if you get anywhere near the ammount of force needed to cause a rap ring to fail your rope would have failed long before then

dan2see

Dec 7, 2011, 5:21 AM
Post #27 of 28 (750 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Opinions on Rap Rings or Rigging Rings as a Masterpoint [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
curt wrote:
Pamason91 wrote:
Concise Question: Is it a safe practice to use a threaded rap ring as a master point instead of a locking biner?

It's not unsafe but don't be surprised if we all laugh at you. Cool

Curt

I'm of the opinion that climbers need a minimum of four years experience before attempting to innovate

Repeat after me:

I will always use boring old-fashioned biners, just like the experienced climbers use.

I will always use boring old-fashioned biners, just like the experienced climbers use.

billcoe_

Dec 7, 2011, 3:57 PM
Post #28 of 28 (710 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Opinions on Rap Rings or Rigging Rings as a Masterpoint [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The larger the surface area the longer your rope will last.

Toproping works a rope and shortens it's life more than anything....... short of towing a car I mean.

Thus, 2 LARGE (same size) steel lockers are the best. Large to reduce wear.
Steel Krabs are stronger than Alum and will most importantly keep the black aluminum oxide off your rope - so you won't feel the need to have to wash your rope as frequently. That will make the rope last longer as well.

If you use a rap ring anyway, it will be fine as it relates to being safe, although harder to set up and break down. Fixe brand makes a Stainless steel ring and much stronger than about anything else made, they rate 12,500 lbs. http://www.mountaingear.com/.../100724/N/1027%20641 The advise they give is this "This device is NOT intended to be used as a rappel or belay device (e.g. ATC, SBGII, Figure 8 or any other friction device). It is intended solely as a hardware alternative to bail-out slings, webbing and cord." I suspect that they were never asked the question you posed above.

Seriously, I thought this was a 5 star post:
dr_feelgood wrote:
I'm of the opinion that climbers need a minimum of four years experience before attempting to innovate

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook