Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

asuman10

Oct 29, 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #1 of 32 (17081 views)
Shortcut

starting a rack?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i want to start my own rack. i've trad climbed a couple of times and i've read and talked to many professionals in the field about trad climbing. one question i have is where to start? what to buy first? i live in boone nc and have a ton of places to climb.

vinnie83

Oct 29, 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #2 of 32 (17072 views)
Shortcut

Re: [asuman10] starting a rack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

try using the search function, this has been asked many times before

moose_droppings

Oct 29, 2011, 10:53 PM
Post #3 of 32 (17022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

asuman10 wrote:
i want to start my own rack. i've trad climbed a couple of times and i've read and talked to many professionals in the field about trad climbing. one question i have is where to start? what to buy first? i live in boone nc and have a ton of places to climb.

What do you have already?
Times on your side, use it to your advantage climbing with friends or guides till you can answer a lot of the gear questions yourself.
You'll probably get some stoppers first, then if you've already got some biners buy some 2ft runners. Wait on the cams till you've tried enough of the different brands to find out what you like and what works best for your area.

bearbreeder

Oct 30, 2011, 7:35 AM
Post #4 of 32 (16955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climb with someone who has experience and knows what they are doing ... theyll have gear ... use theirs ... and pay em back with bear and gas moola

youll find out what works for you ... then go out and buy

TheNags

Oct 30, 2011, 3:38 PM
Post #5 of 32 (16921 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently started my rack, and everything above is spot on. Some people love or hate the feel of certain gear, so it is important for you to get your hands on everything and mess around with it before you go buy. That being said, I love the C4's, and started my rack with a stopper set from BD and then c4's from .5-3 with double on the #1 and #2. Happy and Safe Climbing!
Steve

taller_climber_dude

Nov 2, 2011, 2:14 AM
Post #6 of 32 (16774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TheNags] starting a rack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

all the above, i say passive first(nuts, hexs, tricams etc), its cheaper. then get into Aid climbing take some Aid falls and become a MAN Smile

bearbreeder

Nov 2, 2011, 5:57 AM
Post #7 of 32 (16751 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taller_climber_dude] starting a rack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i love my tricams ... but unless yr in an area where they work better than anything else, i would not recommend them as starters, nor hexes

the things most climbers use the most are nuts and cams ... get good with yr nuts and youll find you may need less cams on a more moderate climb ...

njrox

Nov 2, 2011, 1:11 PM
Post #8 of 32 (16727 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] starting a rack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love using tricams. And if you can get away with using them where you climb, get them!

Besides buying something outright like a full set of stoppers it is probably better to ask other climbers what they use for wherever you'll be climbing the most. For instance, you might only need C3 size cams...or, you may need the larger C4s with doubles/triples of a certain size. Something like that. Get what you need first.

shockabuku

Nov 2, 2011, 1:28 PM
Post #9 of 32 (16717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buy a set of nuts and a set of cams. I think you can't go wrong with the basic BD .5-2, maybe 3, C4s. BD nuts are fine though you can get similar for cheaper (i.e. ABC Huevos) or arguably better for more (i.e. DMM offset nuts).

Cams are expensive so buy a good set the first time so you don't feel like replacing them in the future. If you continue to pursue trad climbing you'll probably continue to add, but you really don't want to put a couple of hundred dollars worth of gear on the shelf because you decide you don't like it in the long run.

herites

Dec 20, 2011, 11:48 PM
Post #10 of 32 (16324 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A good general (and cheap) start should be:
helmet
set of nuts (my vote goes for dmm wallnuts, bitch to clean though)
BD hexes (you can buy a set for a price of a cam, learn how to place them)
BD cams .75-2, or whatever sizes you need.
If you dont already have some quickdraws, then buy them (BD posiwire can be usually found cheap)
4-6 60 cm sewn slings + 2 120 cm long, and biners for them to make draws.
You should also buy some cheap biners and webbing to bail on.
This set should get you up on easier routes. Choose the three cams depending on the first few routes you want to climb.

Marylandclimber

Dec 23, 2011, 6:24 PM
Post #11 of 32 (16240 views)
Shortcut

Re: [herites] starting a rack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it should be 0.5 BD cam instead of 0.75

horseshoe

Dec 23, 2011, 10:46 PM
Post #12 of 32 (16206 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree on getting passive pro first. There are a lot of great routes in NC that were established before SLCDs were available. For the price of a one SLCD, you will be able to buy enough stoppers and tri-cams to protect an entire pitch.

grantut

Dec 23, 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #13 of 32 (16197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

assuming you have a sport rack already, this is so much fun! you must know how and where to place gear before you use it. you better know how to build an anchor and don't half ass it. buy a complete set of stopers and cams. this is an investment. the best part about owning a rack is using it hard! you will soon find that you need doubles of certain pieces. start with the smaller pieces, a full set of TCU's (look that up),a set of tricams is good to have around and don't forget some slings and runners. at this point you will be broke but, content for the time.

acorneau

Dec 24, 2011, 4:04 PM
Post #14 of 32 (16140 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grantut] starting a rack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

grantut wrote:
assuming you have a sport rack already,...

Pirate

(This post was edited by acorneau on Dec 24, 2011, 10:48 PM)

Kartessa

Dec 24, 2011, 4:16 PM
Post #15 of 32 (16136 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] starting a rack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
... and pay em back with bear and gas moola

They're animals, not currency you insensitive monster.

horseshoe

Dec 24, 2011, 6:36 PM
Post #16 of 32 (16121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] starting a rack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:

Clearly a typo--he meant to write "bear stories." Nothing better than a good bear story after a long day at the crag.

herites

Dec 26, 2011, 11:26 PM
Post #17 of 32 (16054 views)
Shortcut

Re: [horseshoe] starting a rack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

horseshoe wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:

Clearly a typo--he meant to write "bear stories." Nothing better than a good bear story after a long day at the crag.

???

(This post was edited by herites on Dec 26, 2011, 11:29 PM)

horseshoe

Dec 27, 2011, 3:20 PM
Post #18 of 32 (16011 views)
Shortcut

Re: [herites] starting a rack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

herites wrote:
horseshoe wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:

???

Well there are several possible interpretations regarding "and pay em back with bear and gas moolah."

1. share a few bear stories. If you do a search for "bear" on this site there are 373 pages of possibilities. Of course, a lot of these have nothing to do with actual bears, but are entertaining nonetheless. You would be surprised how many people would consider a good bear story to be an adequate compensation.

2. perhaps Bearbreeder meant to write "beans"--in which case offering "beans and gas" is a strange way to ask someone to share a belay ledge with you. I doubt you would get many takers with this offer.

3. since the responder is "Bearbreeder" maybe he/she intended to engage in the sale and distribution of bears as Kartessa interpreted. It is equally possible that Bearbreeder just likes to keep a few bears around the place and is not engaged in an alternative bear currency.

4. Or maybe bearbreeder meant to write "bees" or "beads" or "beets" or something else entirely. I suppose it depends on what is popular in your area.

But more importantly, to the OP--tell us about your rack.

ianwatson

Jan 4, 2012, 6:34 PM
Post #19 of 32 (15840 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

horseshoe wrote:
herites wrote:
horseshoe wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:

???

Well there are several possible interpretations regarding "and pay em back with bear and gas moolah."

1. share a few bear stories. If you do a search for "bear" on this site there are 373 pages of possibilities. Of course, a lot of these have nothing to do with actual bears, but are entertaining nonetheless. You would be surprised how many people would consider a good bear story to be an adequate compensation.

2. perhaps Bearbreeder meant to write "beans"--in which case offering "beans and gas" is a strange way to ask someone to share a belay ledge with you. I doubt you would get many takers with this offer.

3. since the responder is "Bearbreeder" maybe he/she intended to engage in the sale and distribution of bears as Kartessa interpreted. It is equally possible that Bearbreeder just likes to keep a few bears around the place and is not engaged in an alternative bear currency.

4. Or maybe bearbreeder meant to write "bees" or "beads" or "beets" or something else entirely. I suppose it depends on what is popular in your area.

But more importantly, to the OP--tell us about your rack.

or a good cougar story over a beer (take how you want)...

billcoe_

Jan 6, 2012, 8:14 PM
Post #20 of 32 (15762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

horseshoe wrote:

One point you missed in your otherwise excellent riposte, there is the strong probability that a Bearbreeder engages in the high risk sport of amorous bear sex.

One starts with young black bear sows that typically habituate near dumpsters (they're tame and have low standards, and usually do not reject a dirtbag), and work their way up to the big wall climbing of bear sex, HOT MAMA GRIZZLES!!!! where few tread more than once and survive it. Like a classic Black Widow tale, the object is to merely dump your load before you get mauled, it's not survivable.

They say. If you do a google image search on man-bear sex with "safesearch" off, you don't get any usable images. Pretty sure that's what is going on here with Bearbreeder though.

Did that help?

horseshoe

Jan 6, 2012, 8:48 PM
Post #21 of 32 (15750 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] starting a rack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
horseshoe wrote:

One point you missed in your otherwise excellent riposte, there is the strong probability that a Bearbreeder engages in the high risk sport of amorous bear sex.

One starts with young black bear sows that typically habituate near dumpsters (they're tame and have low standards, and usually do not reject a dirtbag), and work their way up to the big wall climbing of bear sex, HOT MAMA GRIZZLES!!!! where few tread more than once and survive it. Like a classic Black Widow tale, the object is to merely dump your load before you get mauled, it's not survivable.

Did that help?

Thanks, Billcoe. I think you just explained why Bearbreeder has not yet responded to this thread

ianwatson

Jan 10, 2012, 6:51 PM
Post #22 of 32 (15585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just got back from climbing and seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qz1sXJsCWw

I felt bad for bearbreeder and kinda felt bad for the bear. Pirate

crjanow

Mar 17, 2012, 1:29 AM
Post #23 of 32 (14887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

asuman10 wrote:
tri cams work well for north carolina,especialy the pink and red. definitely a set of nuts and cams of your choice. i personaly think hexes are a waist of money but some would argue learning passive first. it would be nice to climb with someone with a rack to try theirs and to actually see what you need,but i learned on my own because my local climbing area hardly ever has trad climbers at it and when there is they arent local. so i learned the slower more dangerous way of teaching myself.

ChessRonin

Mar 18, 2012, 4:50 PM
Post #24 of 32 (14768 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crjanow] starting a rack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tricams do indeed work very well in NC.

Also, do not feel like you must buy Black Diamond cams, as many people suggested. Wild Country, DMM, Metolius, & Trango cams are all great cams as well. Personally, I climb with mostly Helium cams (Wild Country) and I am quite happy with them.

I also echo what others said regarding passive; get a good and complete set of nuts (make sure you have a nut tool as well), and get a few hexes and tricams as well. I personally like having large nuts (although many don't) and hexes, because they work beautifully in so many places, saving cams for later. Tricams make for great belay anchors, and for protecting slightly tapering cracks and horizontals.

I am a fairly new trad climber (my rack is only two months old but well traveled already!), and I climb with mostly DMM Wallnuts for stoppers (full set, #1-11), all four of the DMM Torque Nuts (which, yes, I bring on most climbs, and they usually get placed), 5 tricams (#0.25 through #2), and 8 cams (mostly Heliums) from about 0.5 inches to 3 inches expansion range. This rack has gotten me up full-length pitches through the 5.7 range.

Good luck, have fun, be safe!

(This post was edited by ChessRonin on Mar 18, 2012, 4:51 PM)

salamanizer

May 31, 2012, 6:52 AM
Post #25 of 32 (14027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

When you actually need to buy some gear, you'll know exactly what you want.

End of discussion!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook