Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Overweight and Learning to climb - possible?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

umeroz7

Nov 26, 2011, 3:51 PM
Post #26 of 55 (4261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tony452] Overweight and Learning to climb - possible? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

all this talk about gym climbing!! Do you live near outside climbing? If so find a partner and some easy routes and get outside. The hike to the crag will shed those pounds. Give me a shout if your in CO and I could show you a few things.

sungam

Nov 26, 2011, 4:21 PM
Post #27 of 55 (4255 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kickasssoprano] Overweight and Learning to climb - possible? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

kickasssoprano wrote:
sungam wrote:
Meh, all this talk about issues being belayed by light people. I've never had a problem in the gym being belayed by my 5' partner who weighs like 80 pounds (I weight 220). We just twist the rope around itself a couple of times so it adds a ton of friction at the powerpoint. I wouldn't want to do it too much with my own rope (but then I don't really toprope outside of the gym), but I don't exactly feel like an asshole doing it with the gym's ropes.
Not being a jerk, but is this safe? I'd be worried about damage to the rope- especially at a gym, lots of people climbing on it, lots of people using "tricks" they've seen other people use. Couldn't this wear out a rope and cause a dangerous situation? (actually curious about this, not trying to be a big jerk-o)
It sure could! Luckily (unless the gym is realllyyyy shitty) the ropes get replaced before it gets near that stage.

chadnsc

Nov 26, 2011, 9:42 PM
Post #28 of 55 (4225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Overweight and Learning to climb - possible? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
kickasssoprano wrote:
sungam wrote:
Meh, all this talk about issues being belayed by light people. I've never had a problem in the gym being belayed by my 5' partner who weighs like 80 pounds (I weight 220). We just twist the rope around itself a couple of times so it adds a ton of friction at the powerpoint. I wouldn't want to do it too much with my own rope (but then I don't really toprope outside of the gym), but I don't exactly feel like an asshole doing it with the gym's ropes.
Not being a jerk, but is this safe? I'd be worried about damage to the rope- especially at a gym, lots of people climbing on it, lots of people using "tricks" they've seen other people use. Couldn't this wear out a rope and cause a dangerous situation? (actually curious about this, not trying to be a big jerk-o)
It sure could! Luckily (unless the gym is realllyyyy shitty) the ropes get replaced before it gets near that stage.

Also while the rope on rope will cause friction and can prematurely wear out the rope it's done over a very large section of the rope, Now if the rope was rubbing against another rope and only in one area that would have a much higher chance of damaging the rope much faster.

Truth be told I've used the 'twist the rope' trick for the past ten years or so and never had a rope prematurely wear out on me. That being said I do replace my ropes every three years or so.

SylviaSmile

Nov 27, 2011, 4:26 AM
Post #29 of 55 (4197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tony452 wrote:
I have been interested in rock climbing for quite some time. But i have been worried about my weight. I am 6'3" and about 280 pounds. Is it fine to start climbing at a weight like that? Should I just practice bouldering and later move to full climbs? I would be starting indoor regardless.

One thing you might try is cutting sugars, especially soda, from your diet. If you eliminate calories you drink, like soda and beer, you could see fairly dramatic results in a short period of time.

sungam

Nov 27, 2011, 9:11 AM
Post #30 of 55 (4180 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SylviaSmile] Overweight and Learning to climb - possible? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
Tony452 wrote:
I have been interested in rock climbing for quite some time. But i have been worried about my weight. I am 6'3" and about 280 pounds. Is it fine to start climbing at a weight like that? Should I just practice bouldering and later move to full climbs? I would be starting indoor regardless.

One thing you might try is cutting sugars, especially soda, from your diet. If you eliminate calories you drink, like soda and beer, you could see fairly dramatic results in a short period of time.
Let's keep this thread an "encouraging him to get into climbing" thread. If he wants dietary advice there are a large number of good threads on it. Cutting out sodas and beer is sound advice, though (though cutting our sugars too much would not be ideal).

I_do

Nov 27, 2011, 1:33 PM
Post #31 of 55 (4164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adelphos] Overweight and Learning to climb - possible? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

adelphos wrote:
Do a little research. It took me all of a minute to find a simple calorie burning comparison. Take a look at this link.

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm

Rock Climbing is one of the highest calorie burning exercises on virtually any list you care to evaluate. There are certainly activities that are higher on the list, but climbing is one of the few capable of burning 1,000 calories in an hour.

Clearly doing a little research just lands you the wrong conclusions. Listen to mahnus/jay they are doing a fine job explaining why you are wrong...

shoo

Nov 27, 2011, 4:09 PM
Post #32 of 55 (4145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While rock climbing is not an ideal weight loss or general fitness activity, which others have pointed out (and some refuse to understand), it can provide a basis for fitness improvement if you love it.

A common thread among all climbers is the desire to improve. Climbing provides a never ending set of increasing goals, as well as a convenient numerical system to determine improvement. If you love it, you won't feel like the process to getting there is as much of a chore. It's training for a goal you can achieve imn the forseeable future. The trick is that you have to love it.

SylviaSmile

Nov 27, 2011, 10:25 PM
Post #33 of 55 (4120 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Overweight and Learning to climb - possible? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
Tony452 wrote:

Let's keep this thread an "encouraging him to get into climbing" thread. If he wants dietary advice there are a large number of good threads on it. Cutting out sodas and beer is sound advice, though (though cutting our sugars too much would not be ideal).

True, the OP should definitely start climbing. :) I just mentioned it because one of my friends (a non-climber, but about the same height and weight he mentioned) just lost a bunch of weight, at least 25-30 lb, doing nothing but cutting out beer and soda. And I've found cutting out refined sugars--so leaving in fresh fruits and veggies--is good for a 5-10 lb. loss over several months. Just some "easy" strategies to go alongside regular gym time.

shockabuku

Nov 28, 2011, 2:34 AM
Post #34 of 55 (4106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
sungam wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
Tony452 wrote:

True, the OP should definitely start climbing. :) I just mentioned it because one of my friends (a non-climber, but about the same height and weight he mentioned) just lost a bunch of weight, at least 25-30 lb, doing nothing but cutting out beer and soda. And I've found cutting out refined sugars--so leaving in fresh fruits and veggies--is good for a 5-10 lb. loss over several months. Just some "easy" strategies to go alongside regular gym time.

You know, I've tried cutting out refined sugars from my diet a number of times - it isn't that fucking easy.

jt512

Nov 28, 2011, 2:58 AM
Post #35 of 55 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Overweight and Learning to climb - possible? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
You know, I've tried cutting out refined sugars from my diet a number of times - it isn't that fucking easy.

Really? I eat, like, none. Then again, I don't really like sweets.

Jay

shockabuku

Nov 28, 2011, 3:01 AM
Post #36 of 55 (4093 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Overweight and Learning to climb - possible? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

Really? I eat, like, none. Then again, I don't really like sweets.

Jay

Yes, really. Cookies are probably my favorite food. When my wife makes them, I can hardly control myself.

SylviaSmile

Nov 28, 2011, 5:15 AM
Post #37 of 55 (4069 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Overweight and Learning to climb - possible? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha, yeah, hence the quotation marks around "easy": it's easy for me to speak of giving up soda and beer when I rarely ever have those drinks. I will say, giving up refined sugar is always hard for me as well, particularly ice cream, but I do it because I decide I want to weigh less more than I want ice cream or cake or cookies or brownies or flan or cheesecake or . . . Unsure

jt512

Nov 28, 2011, 5:48 AM
Post #38 of 55 (4063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
Haha, yeah, hence the quotation marks around "easy": it's easy for me to speak of giving up soda and beer when I rarely ever have those drinks. I will say, giving up refined sugar is always hard for me as well, particularly ice cream, but I do it because I decide I want to weigh less more than I want ice cream or cake or cookies or brownies or flan or cheesecake or . . . Unsure

Beer? BEER?

tolman_paul

Nov 28, 2011, 8:37 PM
Post #39 of 55 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As others have said, go for it, you want to do it and there is no reason not to.

Now, there are going to be a few challenges due to your weight. You may have trouble finding a harness that will fit you. Not sure about the climbing gyms around you, but the ones I've been at seem to be geared more towards overhanging climbs. Unless you have imensly strong arms, you might find these sorts of climbs frustrating.

If you have verticle and less than verticle climbs with large holds, stick on those. You'll learn technique and reduce strain on your joints. Which is also why bouldering is probably something you should avoid as most bouldering routes have small crimpy holds that can easily lead to damaging finger joints.

Stick with easier climbs, put in mileage, see if you like it. If you find climbing is your thing and you want to start climbing harder, then shedding the spare pounds will be necesary, and you'll be motivated to loose them.

jonlong

Dec 27, 2011, 2:27 AM
Post #40 of 55 (3797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As others have said, climbing isn't a very efficient way to lose weight, but it will certainly be a fun and healthy supplement to other forms of cardio exercise. I'd stay away from bouldering, because that will be harder on your body than normal top roping. With bouldering, the easiest routes are harder than the easiest top roping routes. They are also generally more overhung so that when you fall, you don't slide down the wall. Lastly, falls while bouldering always result in you landing on the ground, which can be hard on the joints at your weight.

The advantage to starting climbing while you are heavier is that you will see great progress as you shed weight. Not only do your fingers and arms become stronger, but you get lighter too.

andrewluke

Dec 27, 2011, 3:30 AM
Post #41 of 55 (3782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:

Beer? BEER?

Yeah, let's not get ahead of ourselves here...

damienclimber

Dec 27, 2011, 10:42 AM
Post #42 of 55 (3748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:

I've heard most climbing guys like big girls.
I'm not sure why.

Maybe it reminds them of their moms Laugh or Ricki Lake in John Waters movie.

(This post was edited by damienclimber on Dec 27, 2011, 11:07 AM)

billcoe_

Dec 29, 2011, 2:54 PM
Post #43 of 55 (3655 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Overweight and Learning to climb - possible? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Other than the myth directly above me, good advice. I'll ad 2 words and a link.

Zone Diet http://www.amazon.com/...325170447&sr=8-7

jt512

Dec 29, 2011, 7:29 PM
Post #44 of 55 (3626 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Overweight and Learning to climb - possible? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:

More like adding an actual myth.

wonderwoman

Dec 29, 2011, 9:33 PM
Post #45 of 55 (3608 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
billcoe_ wrote:

But Barry Mannilow swears by it!

jt512

Dec 29, 2011, 9:43 PM
Post #46 of 55 (3604 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Overweight and Learning to climb - possible? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
jt512 wrote:
billcoe_ wrote:

But Barry Mannilow swears by it!

There's a name I'd happily forgotten. I'm going to be really mad if Mandy gets stuck in my head now.

calvo

Jan 5, 2012, 12:20 AM
Post #47 of 55 (3489 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wouldn't the muscle you build over time from climbing, burn more calories over time? I read somewhere that you body needs more calories to provide energy for more muscles. So like, having more muscle will increase the daily amount of calories you need, and like over time .. you'll loose weight as you gain muscle and continue to eat the same.

Then again, I may have taken such information out of context. But any kind of exercise can't hurt, as long as you don't try to push yourself out of your comfort zone. Remember anyone can hurt themselves regardless of how, "in shape", they are.. you just have to make sure you exercise smart

Chetzar

Jan 5, 2012, 5:38 AM
Post #48 of 55 (3473 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] Overweight and Learning to climb - possible? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
just start climbing ... thats all there is to it ...

like anything else ... the more you sit around worrying about it ... the less likely you are to just do it

skiclimb wrote:
Climbing will change your life for the better like few things can..

These two quotes are so true in my experience.

To anyone who thinks rock climbing isint a good way to lose weight, or that 280 is too heavy to climb, consider this:

When I started rock climbing, I was 340 lbs, no joke. I'm 6'5" and I can assure you that I was not 340lbs of muscle. To date I have lost over 100lbs climbing, and am still going (lost nearly 70lbs my first year alone, climbing for 3 total now).
You will eventually hit a point where you are gaining muscle almost, if not, as fast as you burn fat, and your overall weight plateu's out. Don't get discouraged, just keep going, you will see a physical difference.

Anyone I know who asks me how I lost all my weight, or how they can get into better shape gets the same response "Go Rock Climbing"

Now of course a diet helps with this, I quit drinking Soda, massivly cut back on sweets (but god I love cookies) and started eating only when I was hungry, and eating slower. A balanced diet will get you even further than just climbing alone, but the hardest part is starting, so go for it, you have nothing to lose, but weight.

bearbreeder

Jan 5, 2012, 9:05 AM
Post #49 of 55 (3464 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Chetzar] Overweight and Learning to climb - possible? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thats quite inspiring ...

thanks for sharing

as nike says ... just do it !!!
Wink

ashmoo

Jan 6, 2012, 1:41 PM
Post #50 of 55 (3401 views)
Shortcut

Re: [calvo] Overweight and Learning to climb - possible? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

calvo wrote:
Wouldn't the muscle you build over time from climbing, burn more calories over time? I read somewhere that you body needs more calories to provide energy for more muscles. So like, having more muscle will increase the daily amount of calories you need, and like over time .. you'll loose weight as you gain muscle and continue to eat the same.

This is true, but climbing doesn't really develop bulk muscle mass. Since the limiting strength factor for climbing is normally tiny little muscles in the forearms, the muscles that get developed by climbing aren't going to burn a lot of calories.

(This post was edited by ashmoo on Jan 6, 2012, 2:01 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook