Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Deep Water Soloing in the Thai Islands (recommendations needed)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Lethal-Climber

Jun 8, 2011, 3:19 AM
Post #1 of 9 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Deep Water Soloing in the Thai Islands (recommendations needed)  (Asia: Thailand: Southern_Provinces)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm spending July and August in Thailand this summer and would like to squeeze some deep water soloing in this time. I was there last year and due to some bad weather/waves, we were unable to get close enough to the rocks.

I'm looking for recommendations on climbing spots and outfitters/guides to go out with.

I was in Railay Island last year (Krabi) but am open to other islands as well.

Thanks!

rtwilli4

Jun 8, 2011, 11:25 AM
Post #2 of 9 (4042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lethal-Climber] Deep Water Soloing in the Thai Islands (recommendations needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You've picked the wrong time of year to go... again. The Weather comes from the Indian Ocean during the N. American summer, causing a huge swell. N. American winter is the time to go, as the weather comes from China. IE, the Andaman sea is calm when the Gulf of Thailand is rockin' and vise versa.

That said, whomever told you that the waves were too big last year is probably the right person to ask.

thebeetle

Dec 24, 2011, 5:33 PM
Post #3 of 9 (3543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Deep Water Soloing in the Thai Islands (recommendations needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

do you know of anywhere good that's not a crowded mess like it looks like Krabi can be?

wrbill

Dec 24, 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #4 of 9 (3526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thebeetle] Deep Water Soloing in the Thai Islands (recommendations needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just an idea and a new place to try is Palawan Island in the Philippines. There is tons of DWS there, but most would be unclimbed. Just something to check out if you like. I'm living in the Philippines now, but have not had the time to make it over there, but I can tell you that there is a lot of DWS to be had.

Again, just an idea!

redonkulus

Dec 24, 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #5 of 9 (3526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thebeetle] Deep Water Soloing in the Thai Islands (recommendations needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't think Railay was too bad. I was there in January last year, rarely if ever waited for a route, didn't have too much trouble finding lodging, wasn't too overwhelmed by the crowds of non-climbers.

That being said, I've heard there's a relatively unknown area somewhere else down south that has some good granite to climb. Can't remember where I saw that though.

rtwilli4

Dec 25, 2011, 5:32 PM
Post #6 of 9 (3498 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wrbill] Deep Water Soloing in the Thai Islands (recommendations needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread is funny.

beetle, how do you know that there is good DWS on Palawan if you have never been?

I was excited to check it out a few years ago but was pretty disappointed when I got there. TONS of rock but most of it is razor sharp and low angle... not fun to climb DWS or roped. There was certainly potential, but nothing compared to the Andaman Sea.

As for Thailand, there is so much information on the internet about the different places to climb that it really just takes a few minutes of research. There are a lot of areas, none are secret, all have their own feel and unique charm.

Don't know of any granite in southern Thailand apart from the boulders on Koh Tao. There some granite boulders dotted around Southeast Asia, some very good, but not any route climbing or DWS that I know of.

wrbill

Dec 26, 2011, 11:40 AM
Post #7 of 9 (3487 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Deep Water Soloing in the Thai Islands (recommendations needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not beetle. I have some of my friends that have gone there and found some good DWS there. Palawan is a big island and has a lot of different areas.

What part of Palawan did you go? Not all of if is low angle.

Yes your right about Thailand having a lot of information and easy to research and Palawan has little to no information about it, but some people like the adventure of going to a new area that few or no people have been to. I was just trying to give him a option about another place, yes with little or no information. But he might be up to the adventure of a new area.

That is why I put at the begining of my first post, "Just an idea".

rtwilli4

Dec 26, 2011, 2:43 PM
Post #8 of 9 (3469 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wrbill] Deep Water Soloing in the Thai Islands (recommendations needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I"m all for adventure, and I don't want to give the impression that some exploration is a bad idea. There is certainly a lot more to be found all over SE Asia.

I only asked about Palawan because I thought for sure from pictures that there would be a ton of climbing, but then I went and didn't find much. It's hard to tell someone about climbing if you haven't actually been to the specific location, but you are right, it IS an idea and I've always said that no idea is a bad idea.

I was in El Nido for a week. Took boats around a few different areas and did see some potential but nothing that made me want to hire a boat that was better suited for DWS.

I'm sure though, that with all the rock there, enough searching would turn up some good stuff.

thebeetle

Dec 29, 2011, 8:41 PM
Post #9 of 9 (3422 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redonkulus] Deep Water Soloing in the Thai Islands (recommendations needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks y'all. Good info to add to my research and prep.

BTW, I, AM, THEBEETLE! :)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook