RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

totallyspoked

Dec 28, 2011, 1:40 PM
Post #1 of 15 (2585 views)
Shortcut

Climbing this weekend at Mineral Wells, HELP with figure 8
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am was plann on climbeng this weeekend for the furst time and was wonderin if there are any videos on how to ty a figure 8 knot. Oh, yeah, Ive also been searching for a good map of the rock at Mineral Wells. I tried the link I found after searching for a while that started with sss.org, but couldn't make the link. Any preferences from the short ladies on MW, my grilfriend is kind of short and we just started a few months ago. I got a lead rope up on what I think was Butt Scratch at Seismic in the Greenbelt back in Sept. and she almost made the crux on that so she climbs pretty well, but would like some beta if anyone has some on the easy stuff for short people at MW. It is supposed to be almost 70 up there this thurs and fri so we have to go. Anyone else going. Yes, this is my first post.

beer drinker with a trailrunning, mtbiking, triathlon, rock climbing problem

billl7

Dec 28, 2011, 2:31 PM
Post #2 of 15 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Re: [totallyspoked] Climbing this weekend at Mineral Wells, HELP with figure 8 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

totallyspoked wrote:
I am was plann on climbeng this weeekend for the furst time ... we just started a few months ago .... Yes, this is my first post.

... hmmm ... it's going to be hard to convince folks this is not a troll ...

Search for "Animated Knots By Grog". You'll find the figure 8 follow through under the climbing category ... assuming you need help with attaching the rope to your harness.

Bill L

superchuffer

Dec 28, 2011, 3:22 PM
Post #3 of 15 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [totallyspoked] Climbing this weekend at Mineral Wells, HELP with figure 8 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

wear a helmet and make sure your life insurance plan is up to date

tH1e-swiN1e

Dec 28, 2011, 5:37 PM
Post #4 of 15 (2510 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superchuffer] Climbing this weekend at Mineral Wells, HELP with figure 8 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TROLL

totallyspoked

Dec 28, 2011, 5:50 PM
Post #5 of 15 (2508 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tH1e-swiN1e] Climbing this weekend at Mineral Wells, HELP with figure 8 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just having fun, still need the map, beta on short persons 5.7 at this TEXAS park would be cool.

It would be cool to locate an easy 5.7 so my gf can top the first one I set ropes on.

thanks for the responses,

dirt bags are a definitely a cool breed.

acorneau

Dec 28, 2011, 11:48 PM
Post #6 of 15 (2431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This should get you started...

http://climbdfw.files.wordpress.com/...06/mwtopomaster1.pdf

superchuffer

Dec 29, 2011, 12:29 AM
Post #7 of 15 (2422 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tH1e-swiN1e] Climbing this weekend at Mineral Wells, HELP with figure 8 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the OP is the troll, im just trolling along. if you need help with a figure 8, you have no business posting it to a forum for help, go to a gym or take a class

(This post was edited by superchuffer on Dec 29, 2011, 12:41 AM)

totallyspoked

Dec 29, 2011, 3:15 AM
Post #8 of 15 (2392 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Climbing this weekend at Mineral Wells, HELP with figure 8 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Allen, that will really be a big help. I had already talked to my gym and the one in Arlington and no one could remember where the map was. So where do you climb in Houston? I'll probably be down there in May for the Galveston Half IM again, it would be cool to stop for some rock on the way.

Greggle

Dec 29, 2011, 4:53 AM
Post #9 of 15 (2379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

totallyspoked wrote:
Thanks Allen, that will really be a big help. I had already talked to my gym and the one in Arlington and no one could remember where the map was. So where do you climb in Houston? I'll probably be down there in May for the Galveston Half IM again, it would be cool to stop for some rock on the way.

Plenty of rock in Houston; try the wards...

acorneau

Dec 29, 2011, 2:20 PM
Post #10 of 15 (2316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Greggle wrote:
Plenty of rock in Houston; try the wards...

Ba-zing!

totallyspoked wrote:
Thanks Allen, that will really be a big help. I had already talked to my gym and the one in Arlington and no one could remember where the map was.

It was on the first page of Google search results, but glad I could be of service.

I have a friend that works with the North Texas Outdoor Pursuit Center (a.k.a. the Slios). You should check them out as they have a "map room" with all kinds of maps/topos/books and other resources.

In reply to:
So where do you climb in Houston?

I climb and route-set at Texas Rock Gym. If you're going to be down in Galveston then check out Space City Rock Climbing in League City, which is considerably closer to Galveston.

http://www.spacecityrockclimbing.com/

qwert

Dec 29, 2011, 6:56 PM
Post #11 of 15 (2267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

totallyspoked wrote:
I am was plann on climbeng this weeekend for the furst time and was wonderin if there are any videos on how to ty a figure 8 knot. Oh, yeah, Ive also been searching for a good map of the rock at Mineral Wells. I tried the link I found after searching for a while that started with sss.org, but couldn't make the link. Any preferences from the short ladies on MW, my grilfriend is kind of short and we just started a few months ago. I got a lead rope up on what I think was Butt Scratch at Seismic in the Greenbelt back in Sept. and she almost made the crux on that so she climbs pretty well, but would like some beta if anyone has some on the easy stuff for short people at MW. It is supposed to be almost 70 up there this thurs and fri so we have to go. Anyone else going. Yes, this is my first post.

beer drinker with a trailrunning, mtbiking, triathlon, rock climbing problem
I cant believe that i am the first one to do a full quote of that gem Crazy

On the small chance that this is not a troll:

Yes, you do not need to know everything before you venture out on your own the first time, but if you need help to figure out how to tie a figure 8, you really really have no business in going out alone.

And no - the problem is not directly the fact that you cant tie an 8, it lies much deeper, and cant - and wont - be solved by some simple forum advice or some hours spend googling.

qwert

bearbreeder

Dec 29, 2011, 7:21 PM
Post #12 of 15 (2257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you dont know how to tie in properly, you likely dont know how to set an anchor

learn how to do these properly and without a single doubt ... without doing such you are a risk to yourself and your partner

if you are the "most experienced" person and leading the blind ... you would be absolutely reckless in endangering other people outdoors without be absolutely certain of the basics

its as simple as that
Crazy

totallyspoked

Dec 31, 2011, 2:37 PM
Post #13 of 15 (2190 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm still not sure if I'm doing this right. I didn't have any trouble with the cordolette and four locking biners

{{{{insert funny picture of a troll wrapped up in 60m of rope that I accidentally deleted while posting some bus ads and cleaning out my dropbox}}}}}}

note to self....stop drinking and posting climb shit......

,, but this figure 8 shit is killing me.

(This post was edited by totallyspoked on Jan 3, 2012, 10:24 PM)

Partner j_ung

Dec 31, 2011, 5:10 PM
Post #14 of 15 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

totallyspoked wrote:
I'm still not sure if I'm doing this right. I didn't have any trouble with the cordolette and four locking biners,, but this figure 8 shit is killing me.[image]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54070451/2011-12-30_16-51-47_230%20%282%29.jpg[/image]

LaughLaugh Good stuff!

SylviaSmile

Jan 3, 2012, 8:50 PM
Post #15 of 15 (2018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

totallyspoked wrote:
I'm still not sure if I'm doing this right. I didn't have any trouble with the cordolette and four locking biners,, but this figure 8 shit is killing me.[image]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54070451/2011-12-30_16-51-47_230%20%282%29.jpg[/image]

There's always that surprising moment when you learn that TYING KNOTS is actually really, really critically important to climbing. Better to have that epiphany while on the ground.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook