Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Anyone still climb at Emmaus?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

alexiskai

Dec 31, 2011, 7:22 PM
Post #1 of 8 (4222 views)
Shortcut

Anyone still climb at Emmaus?  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Northeastern_Region: Emmaus_Boulders)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm new to the area and was hoping someone could show me around. I walked around what I think is the boulder site, but it's in pretty poor condition. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

joeforte

Jan 3, 2012, 12:13 AM
Post #2 of 8 (4181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexiskai] Anyone still climb at Emmaus? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When you say poor condition, what do you mean? Last time I was there it was fairly clean with little vegetation, and the occasional spray paint or beer can. The main area has about a half dozen or more large boulders, most 10+ feet high with a few 15-20'+ highballs. Does that sound like the area you were in?

alexiskai

Jan 3, 2012, 1:43 AM
Post #3 of 8 (4169 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] Anyone still climb at Emmaus? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I crossed two footbridges and came to a spot where the trail was closed due to erosion. A new trail led off to the right and then petered out. I went up the hill and followed a series of white arrows painted on rocks up to a flat area with some boulders around.

I was expecting to see chalk residue, particularly along sheltered cracks, but I couldn't find any. Most of the available surfaces in the central group of boulders were spray-painted, and there was moss and dirt on the outer boulders. Large chunks of tree were lying around and on top of the boulders (I assume from the Halloween storm), making top-outs hazardous. They'd need to be removed before one could really climb much. It looked as though no one had climbed there for weeks.

joeforte

Jan 4, 2012, 3:44 AM
Post #4 of 8 (4125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We recently washed and brushed a lot of the holds because they were caked and full of tic marks. I personally don't use chalk there because the rock has such high friction that it is not needed. The use of chalk has actually made a lot of those holds worse, due to the chalk caking up the texture. As for the branches, we've just been climbing around them.

Edited to add:
Walk southeast of the main boulders for about 300 yards to find a real diamond in the rough!

(This post was edited by joeforte on Jan 4, 2012, 3:45 AM)

jangler

May 20, 2014, 8:43 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was there yesterday for bouldering and saw someone else doing the same. so yes, apparently it's still in use. as another poster mentioned, the site is not in ideal condition--some graffiti and broken glass, but there's a decent amount of rock and seems easy enough to find problems.

i think there are actual several potential boulder sites on the mountain, or at least that's what the map at the entrance seemed to indicate. i only got a chance to visit one before it started to rain.

funk

Jun 16, 2014, 7:27 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jangler] Anyone still climb at Emmaus? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jangler wrote:
i was there yesterday for bouldering and saw someone else doing the same. so yes, apparently it's still in use. as another poster mentioned, the site is not in ideal condition--some graffiti and broken glass, but there's a decent amount of rock and seems easy enough to find problems.

in 20 years, i don't know of those boulders not being covered in graffiti and broken glass.

6pacfershur

Jun 23, 2014, 5:40 AM
Post #7 of 8 (3393 views)
Shortcut

Re: [funk] Anyone still climb at Emmaus? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

funk wrote:
jangler wrote:

in 20 years, i don't know of those boulders not being covered in graffiti and broken glass.

someone should call the pigs....

funk

Jun 24, 2014, 10:15 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3330 views)
Shortcut

Re: [6pacfershur] Anyone still climb at Emmaus? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:
funk wrote:
jangler wrote:

someone should call the pigs....

I think los huesos have greater concerns, such as the Heroin epidemic in NEPA...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook