Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
mount zoin
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

kenoshaclimber

Jan 15, 2012, 6:42 PM
Post #1 of 5 (5560 views)
Shortcut

mount zoin  (North_America: United_States: Utah)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

does any one know any roof routes or arch routes that are sport out in zoin or near by?

sungam

Jan 15, 2012, 10:50 PM
Post #2 of 5 (5538 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kenoshaclimber] mount zoin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am far from the best source, but I am lead to believe that there is little or no sport climbing in/around Zion. Most (if not all?) of the arches are no-gos for climbing, as well.

petsfed

Jan 15, 2012, 11:23 PM
Post #3 of 5 (5523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] mount zoin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
I am far from the best source, but I am lead to believe that there is little or no sport climbing in/around Zion. Most (if not all?) of the arches are no-gos for climbing, as well.

Officially, named arches in Arches and Canyonlands National Parks are off limits. There's a little bit of sport climbing in Kolob Canyon (about 3 routes), so it isn't a destination. However, Zion is maybe 45 miles from St. George, which has a TON of sport climbing in and around the city, including a forming arch at Turtle Wall that provides some pretty steep cave climbing for the climber with power to spare.

marc801

Jan 15, 2012, 11:28 PM
Post #4 of 5 (5522 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] mount zoin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Named arches in Arches National Park are off-limits. Arches outside of the park may or may not be legal, depending on what land they are on. None have any sport routes. But Arches National Park is about a 5 hr drive from Zion National Park* and isn't of relevance to the OP.

There are some sport routes in the Kolob Canyons section of Zion NP, but none are arches or roof routes. Sport routes make up less than 10% of the routes in Zion.

*: note to the OP - it's Zion, not zoin, and it's a national park, not a mountain. Actually, being a big ass canyon, it's quite the opposite of a mountain.

VisitMoabUtah

Jan 17, 2012, 10:17 PM
Post #5 of 5 (5485 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kenoshaclimber] mount zoin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are headed to Moab, look up guide books by Eric Bjornstadt. He lead many of the first routes in the first days around Moabhttp://books.google.com/...html?id=YJuqsqDTPbEC[rWink

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook